Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #91
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaLover View Post
Thask, the person you are describing here has no other choice but to continue doing so. Landing at an "unsatisfying job" simply implies a mediocrity and unpreparedness to join the workforce; for this type of a worker, it will be a disaster when he will try to make a living as a gambler..
That wan't the point that I was trying to make. VigorsTheGrey, and several others here from time to time, comment about how "undesirable" the life of a professional gambler is, for a variety of reasons. And I am wondering if working a "straight job" qualifies to be called "desirable", for the vast majority of those who are "conventionally employed". I wasn't implying that anyone with a "dead-end" job could make it as a professional gambler.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #92
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
Clarification:
I started this approach August 1st 2017. My intention was to quit if and when I lost my $6,000 Bankroll. At this stage of the procedure to be on target I should have winnings of approximately $17,000 I'm not even close, however I am a winning player with a nicely improved. Bankroll.

Answers:
I do not chase my losses. Each and every day I risk $600 to obtain $110.
Today I have 7 Selections 2 are M/L Fav. 3 are Top Average Earnings. 2 are Lowest Days Off.
Okay...you say that you bet $50-win/$100-place on each selection...and that you are willing to risk $600 in order to win $110 for the day. Yesterday you had 7 bets...but you would only wager on the first 4 of them if none of them cashed...right? Because you would have already lost the $600 after the first 4 losing bets...am I right? And if you lose $600 on one day...do you still quit when you make your $110 profit on the NEXT day?

Please don't think that I am "cross-examining" you here. I am just trying to understand your method.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:42 AM   #93
Enigma

YES

To answer another of your queries if I had wagered on all of my selections I would be like most of the players at this game a loser.
Stop when winning is my golden-rule.
Enigma is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2018, 11:12 AM   #94
AndyC

Quote:
YES

To answer another of your queries if I had wagered on all of my selections I would be like most of the players at this game a loser.
Stop when winning is my golden-rule.
So why not just wager on your best selections? If I believed betting on all of my selections would make me a loser, I would find another hobby.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #95
Enigma

Why would I want to change my approach? I'm WINNING !!! Long may it last.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #96
AndyC

Quote:
Why would I want to change my approach? I'm WINNING !!! Long may it last.
Congratulations on winning, that is a lofty achievement that every horseplayer strives to do. However, I don't believe that your approach is responsible for your success. Your handicapping must be outstanding.

Why would you want to change your approach? I don't know? If you have reached an optimum level of contentment with your results, then obviously you would be foolish to do so. If increasing your winnings is a goal then why wouldn't you change?
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2018, 12:26 PM   #97
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
That wan't the point that I was trying to make. VigorsTheGrey, and several others here from time to time, comment about how "undesirable" the life of a professional gambler is, for a variety of reasons. And I am wondering if working a "straight job" qualifies to be called "desirable", for the vast majority of those who are "conventionally employed". I wasn't implying that anyone with a "dead-end" job could make it as a professional gambler.
It is only recently that I have begun to understand my work role at the track as a PROFESSIONAL GRINDER and WORLD CLASS CHURNER. And like a dissatisfied worker, stuck in a dead-end job, I have vowed to change all that, hence this thread.

If I now find the gambling life somewhat "undesirable" (but certainly NOT unbearable) it is because I have finally internalized the realities of the game, and have ended the delusions of reaping anything more from it than mere marginal gains, entertainment, and the sheer JOY of being involved in the sport.
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2018, 01:05 PM   #98
Robert Fischer
clean money

Nothing wrong when quitting while winning.

It shouldn't be a hard-fast 'rule'.

There are a handful of rare days when you have multiple great plays that shouldn't be passed up.

Same is true with the opposite. You have to sometimes concede a day as a losing day, rather than chasing.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 PM   #99
Enigma

Another winning day with a profit of $220.
1st wager result...place $5.00
2nd wager result..place $2.80
3rd wager result..win$ 8.00 place $4.60

All of my claims are fully documented. I now fully believe we have reached the end of this discussion when members start recommending I find another hobby.

GOOD LUCK & GOOD RACING !!!
Old 01-11-2018, 06:02 PM   #100
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Another winning day with a profit of $220.
1st wager result...place $5.00
2nd wager result..place $2.80
3rd wager result..win$ 8.00 place $4.60

All of my claims are fully documented. I now fully believe we have reached the end of this discussion when members start recommending I find another hobby.

GOOD LUCK & GOOD RACING !!!
Thanks Enigma, I've struggled over the years to find a wager size that was not too small, yet not too large, as well as a solid percentage of my bankroll...Your Win wager percentage is 8% and your Place wager percentage is 17% for a combined percentage or 25% of your bankroll...I think that is a good way to wager. Basically, you get 4 tries to make headway before you quit for the day if you bust...One question I have is "Do you keep betting your picks if you are under $110 profit until you make it or you bust...or do you just quit after a given number of bets...?

PS I don't think anyone is suggesting you get another hobby...I for one have greatly appreciated everything you have shared and hope you continue on the thread with us...
Old 01-11-2018, 06:08 PM   #101
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Thanks Enigma, I've struggled over the years to find a wager size that was not too small, yet not too large, as well as a solid percentage of my bankroll...Your Win wager percentage is 8% and your Place wager percentage is 17% for a combined percentage or 25% of your bankroll...I think that is a good way to wager. Basically, you get 4 tries to make headway before you quit for the day if you bust...One question I have is "Do you keep betting your picks if you are under $110 profit until you make it or you bust...or do you just quit after a given number of bets...?

PS I don't think anyone is suggesting you get another hobby...I for one have greatly appreciated everything you have shared and hope you continue on the thread with us...
CAN'T YOU SEE HIS PICKS ARE WINNING EVERY DAY. if you or i could be like Enigma, we would be playing that way too!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #102
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
CAN'T YOU SEE HIS PICKS ARE WINNING EVERY DAY. if you or i could be like Enigma, we would be playing that way too!
Totally agree..! I think his method is a great way to go...his bet size and ratio appear to be optimal....I have read how other people have had success with the (1) Unit Win + (2) Unit Place formula...