Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:22 PM   #5011
Actor
Librocubicularist

bloodthirsty

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins – The God Delusion

bloodthirsty

There are more than 50 citations in the Bible which support the charge that God is bloodthirsty. To save a couple of hours typing I'll simply point the reader to ...

https://www.amazon.com/Drunk-Blood-G...unk+with+blood
Old 01-18-2018, 11:25 PM   #5012
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
... there is no biblical promise for universal forgiveness; ...
My point exactly!!
Old 01-19-2018, 07:53 AM   #5013
Actor
Librocubicularist

ethnic cleanser

“The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully.” - Richard Dawkins – The God Delusion

ethnic cleanser

Drive them out of the promised land
Numbers 33:50-53 And the Lord said to Moses in the plains of Moab by the Jordan at Jericho, “Say to the people of Israel, When you pass over the Jordan into the land of Canaan, then you shall drive out all the inhabitants of the land from before you, and destroy all their figured stones, and destroy all their molten images, and demolish all their high places; and you shall take possession of the land and settle in it, for I have given the land to you to possess it. RSV

God will drive them out
Exodus 34:11-13 Observe what I command you this day. Behold, I will drive out before you the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Hittites, the Per′izzites, the Hivites, and the Jeb′usites. Take heed to yourself, lest you make a covenant with the inhabitants of the land whither you go, lest it become a snare in the midst of you. You shall tear down their altars, and break their pillars, and cut down their Ashe′rim RSV

”Drive out the inhabitants”
2 Chronicles 20:6-7 Lord, the God of our ancestors, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you. Our God, did you not drive out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel and give it forever to the descendants of Abraham your friend? NIV

He clears away many nations
Deuteronomy 7:1-2 When the Lord your God brings you into the land which you are entering to take possession of it, and clears away many nations before you, the Hittites, the Gir′gashites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Per′izzites, the Hivites, and the Jeb′usites, seven nations greater and mightier than yourselves, and when the Lord your God gives them over to you, and you defeat them; then you must utterly destroy them; you shall make no covenant with them, and show no mercy to them. RSV

Purify the promised land
Deuteronomy 7:5-6 But thus shall you deal with them: you shall break down their altars, and dash in pieces their pillars, and hew down their Ashe′rim, and burn their graven images with fire. For you are a people holy to the Lord your God; the Lord your God has chosen you to be a people for his own possession, out of all the peoples that are on the face of the earth. RSV

”They shall not live in your land”
Exodus 23:23-24, 33 My angel will go ahead of you and bring you into the land of the Amorites, Hittites, Perizzites, Canaanites, Hivites and Jebusites, and I will wipe them out. Do not bow down before their gods or worship them or follow their practices.You must demolish them and break their sacred stones to pieces. … Do not let them live in your land or they will cause you to sin against me, because the worship of their gods will certainly be a snare to you. NIV

Xenophobic cleansing
Nehemiah 13:1-3 On that day they read from the book of Moses in the hearing of the people; and in it was found written that no Ammonite or Moabite should ever enter the assembly of God; for they did not meet the children of Israel with bread and water, but hired Balaam against them to curse them—yet our God turned the curse into a blessing. When the people heard the law, they separated from Israel all those of foreign descent. RSV

Towns destroyed
Numbers 21:2-3 And Israel vowed a vow to the Lord, and said, “If thou wilt indeed give this people into my hand, then I will utterly destroy their cities.” And the Lord hearkened to the voice of Israel, and gave over the Canaanites; and [/B]they utterly destroyed them and their cities;[/B] so the name of the place was called Hormah. RSV

City burned
Joshua 8:28 So Joshua burned Ai and made it a permanent heap of ruins, a desolate place to this day. NIV

None were left
Joshua 11:21-22 And Joshua came at that time, and wiped out the Anakim from the hill country, from Hebron, from Debir, from Anab, and from all the hill country of Judah, and from all the hill country of Israel; Joshua utterly destroyed them with their cities. There was none of the Anakim left in the land of the people of Israel RSV

Midianite cities burned
Numbers 31:9-10 And the people of Israel took captive the women of Mid′ian and their little ones; and they took as booty all their cattle, their flocks, and all their goods. All their cities in the places where they dwelt, and all their encampments, they burned with fire RSV

Town burned and never rebuilt
Deuteronomy 13:12-16 If you hear in one of your cities, which the Lord your God gives you to dwell there, that certain base fellows have gone out among you and have drawn away the inhabitants of the city, saying, ‘Let us go and serve other gods,’ which you have not known, then you shall inquire and make search and ask diligently; and behold, if it be true and certain that such an abominable thing has been done among you, you shall surely put the inhabitants of that city to the sword, destroying it utterly, all who are in it and its cattle, with the edge of the sword. You shall gather all its spoil into the midst of its open square, and burn the city and all its spoil with fire, as a whole burnt offering to the Lord your God; it shall be a heap for ever, it shall not be built again. RSV

Tyre will be scraped bare and never rebuilt
Ezekiel 26:3-14 therefore this is what the Sovereign Lord says: I am against you, Tyre, and I will bring many nations against you, like the sea casting up its waves. They will destroy the walls of Tyre and pull down her towers; I will scrape away her rubble and make her a bare rock. Out in the sea she will become a place to spread fishnets, for I have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord. … I will put an end to your noisy songs, and the music of your harps will be heard no more. I will make you a bare rock, and you will become a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the Lord have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord. NIV

Cities laid waste
Leviticus 26:30-31 And I will destroy your high places, and cut down your incense altars, and cast your dead bodies upon the dead bodies of your idols; and my soul will abhor you. And I will lay your cities waste, and will make your sanctuaries desolate, and I will not smell your pleasing odors. RSV

Villages burned
Jeremiah 49:2 Therefore, behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will cause the battle cry to be heard against Rabbah of the Ammonites; it shall become a desolate mound, and its villages shall be burned with fire; then Israel shall dispossess those who dispossessed him, says the Lord. RSV

”Throw down their alters”
Judges 2:2 And ye shall make no league with the inhabitants of this land; ye shall throw down their altars KJV

Alters smashed to pieces
2 Kings 11:17-18 Jehoiada then made a covenant between the Lord and the king and people that they would be the Lord’s people. He also made a covenant between the king and the people. All the people of the land went to the temple of Baal and tore it down. They smashed the altars and idols to pieces and killed Mattan the priest of Baal in front of the altars. NIV

Alters removed
2 Chronicles 14:2-5 Asa did what was good and right in the eyes of the Lord his God. He removed the foreign altars and the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He commanded Judah to seek the Lord, the God of their ancestors, and to obey his laws and commands. He removed the high places and incense altars in every town in Judah, and the kingdom was at peace under him. NIV

Pull down the pagan shrines
2 Chronicles 31:1 Now when all this was finished, all Israel that were present went out to the cities of Judah, and brake the images in pieces, and cut down the groves, and threw down the high places and the altars out of all Judah and Benjamin, in Ephraim also and Manasseh, until they had utterly destroyed them all. KJV

Corpses among the alters
Ezekiel 6:13-14 Then shall ye know that I am the Lord, when their slain men shall be among their idols round about their altars, upon every high hill, in all the tops of the mountains, and under every green tree, and under every thick oak, the place where they did offer sweet savour to all their idols. So will I stretch out my hand upon them, and make the land desolate, yea, more desolate than the wilderness toward Diblath, in all their habitations: and they shall know that I am the Lord. KJV

Teenage king purges the land
2 Chronicles 34:1-7 Josiah was eight years old when he began to reign, and he reigned in Jerusalem one and thirty years. And he did that which was right in the sight of the Lord, and walked in the ways of David his father, and declined neither to the right hand, nor to the left. For in the eighth year of his reign, while he was yet young, he began to seek after the God of David his father: and in the twelfth year he began to purge Judah and Jerusalem from the high places, and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images. And they brake down the altars of Baalim in his presence; and the images, that were on high above them, he cut down; and the groves, and the carved images, and the molten images, he brake in pieces, and made dust of them, and strowed it upon the graves of them that had sacrificed unto them. And he burnt the bones of the priests upon their altars, and cleansed Judah and Jerusalem. And so did he in the cities of Manasseh, and Ephraim, and Simeon, even unto Naphtali, with their mattocks round about. And when he had broken down the altars and the groves, and had beaten the graven images into powder, and cut down all the idols throughout all the land of Israel, he returned to Jerusalem. KJV
Old 01-19-2018, 08:09 AM   #5014
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
My point exactly!!
No, you entirely miss the point!. People love their lives and the sin in their lives and don't want forgiveness. So...how is God morally obligated to forgive such lawbreakers as these?

There's a a big story out about an illegal alien who murdered at least a couple of cops. In the courtroom, this murderer displayed not even a remote hint of remorse. In fact, he told the court that he wishes he could have killed more and promised that he would if he ever escaped. But I suppose if you were the judge here and even when the jury finds him guilty as charged, you would have given him the lightest sentence possible out of the love, goodness and forgiveness of your heart? Newsflash: Since this isn't the way forgiveness works in this real and fallen word, why would you expect a holy God to lower the bar of justice below that of sinners!? Why would you expect a holy God to make a mockery of justice when even sinners can't?

People love the darkness of their lives, Mr. Actor, just like this murder loves the darkness of his own miserable, pathetic life.

John 3:19-21
19 "And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their deeds were evil. 20 "For everyone who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 "But he who practices the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God."
NASB
Old 01-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #5015
hcap

Quote:
Actually...most Jews don't. So...you have the numbers on your side -- but those numbers aren't going to save you when you step into eternity.
Why do you resort to scare tactics and claim irrationally your version of god threatens those who disagree with you?
Old 01-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #5016
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Why do you resort to scare tactics and claim irrationally your version of god threatens those who disagree with you?
Have you never read that "The fear of God is the beginning of [true spiritual] knowledge"? One far greater than me told his listeners once:

Luke 12:4-5
4 "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who after He has killed has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!
NASB

When Jesus repeats something more once, you can rest assured that he's trying to convey a very important truth.

And I tell you a truth: It is far, far better to heed Jesus' words rather than AGW alarmists' words meant to scare us to death!
Old 01-19-2018, 11:38 AM   #5017
hcap

Quote:
Have you never read that "The fear of God is the beginning of [true spiritual] knowledge"? One far greater than me told his listeners once:

Luke 12:4-5
4 "And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5 "But I will warn you whom to fear: fear the One who after He has killed has authority to cast into hell; yes, I tell you, fear Him!
NASB

When Jesus repeats something more once, you can rest assured that he's trying to convey a very important truth.

And I tell you a truth: It is far, far better to heed Jesus' words rather than AGW alarmists' words meant to scare us to death!
The science of AGW is a-religious except to religious extremists like you. Wisdom does not begin with fear or those that use fear TO THREATEN OTHERS with differing views.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:17 PM   #5018
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
The science of AGW is a-religious except to religious extremists like you. Wisdom does not begin with fear or those that use fear TO THREATEN OTHERS with differing views.
I am not threatening anyone. I'm simply the messenger. The message does not originate with me.

Thask, are you paying attention to the recent posts of Actor and Hcap? If not, you should be! After all, you have claimed that the writers of the bible have made the God of the bible in THEIR image. Yet, how can this be!? Actor and Hcap can't stand how God is characterized in scripture. They HATE how God is portrayed. If Hcap, Actor, you, or any other sinner for that matter, were to create your god in your image, that god would not look anything like God in the bible! So, how is it that the prophets and apostles of old could have such radically different views from the god of modern man's invention, and yet at the same time still be accused at inventing their god!? Isn't the god of your liking a god of love who loves everyone all the time regardless of any wrongdoing -- if indeed there is such a thing as "wrongdoing"? Isn't your god infinitely understanding and compassionate and merciful and would never judge, let alone condemn anyone for any evil committed -- again, if indeed evil exists at all? Or if there is such a thing as evil, then wouldn't your version of a loving god be a god of an infinite number of "second" chances whereby the very worst thing that could happen to anyone is multiple reincarnations until they finall get it "right" or at least "good enough"? In short, man's modern god is a Santa Claus-type -- just infinitely jolly ol' St. Nick who loves man so much that it would never cross his mind to ever stop giving. May I be so bold as to suggest that this god is made in modern sinful man's image? I mean after all...what self-respecting sinner wouldn't believe and sell other sinners on the idea that they're off the eternal hook, no matter how they lived their life here in this world? Upon death, man will either cease to exist (per the Actors of the world) or he'll exist (sooner or later) in eternal bliss in a pristine paradise (per the religious left or the Lights of the world) -- no matter what. Total win-win with the god of sinful man's invention. No one will ever be held accountable for his life.

Nice fairy tale with a happy ending. And I have a very nice and kool transatlantic bridge to sell you.
Old 01-19-2018, 01:40 PM   #5019
thaskalos

Quote:
I am not threatening anyone. I'm simply the messenger. The message does not originate with me.

Thask, are you paying attention to the recent posts of Actor and Hcap? If not, you should be! After all, you have claimed that the writers of the bible have made the God of the bible in THEIR image. Yet, how can this be!? Actor and Hcap can't stand how God is characterized in scripture. They HATE how God is portrayed. If Hcap, Actor, you, or any other sinner for that matter, were to create your god in your image, that god would not look anything like God in the bible! So, how is it that the prophets and apostles of old could have such radically different views from the god of modern man's invention, and yet at the same time still be accused at inventing their god!? Isn't the god of your liking a god of love who loves everyone all the time regardless of any wrongdoing -- if indeed there is such a thing as "wrongdoing"? Isn't your god infinitely understanding and compassionate and merciful and would never judge, let alone condemn anyone for any evil committed -- again, if indeed evil exists at all? Or if there is such a thing as evil, then wouldn't your version of a loving god be a god of an infinite number of "second" chances whereby the very worst thing that could happen to anyone is multiple reincarnations until they finall get it "right" or at least "good enough"? In short, man's modern god is a Santa Claus-type -- just infinitely jolly ol' St. Nick who loves man so much that it would never cross his mind to ever stop giving. May I be so bold as to suggest that this god is made in modern sinful man's image? I mean after all...what self-respecting sinner wouldn't believe and sell other sinners on the idea that they're off the eternal hook, no matter how they lived their life here in this world? Upon death, man will either cease to exist (per the Actors of the world) or he'll exist (sooner or later) in eternal bliss in a pristine paradise (per the religious left or the Lights of the world) -- no matter what. Total win-win with the god of sinful man's invention. No one will ever be held accountable for his life.

Nice fairy tale with a happy ending. And I have a very nice and kool transatlantic bridge to sell you.
See if you can understand what I trying to say here:

An "all-powerful" God would have no need to be envied by his "subjects"...nor would he be jealous of "other gods". And why would such a God ever demand an animal sacrifice as proof that a group of people "believed" in him? The pettiness, jealousy and anger that the OT God displays are purely HUMAN qualities...which human beings have imposed on the God that they created. THEY were "angry", "jealous" and "vengeful"...and they created their God in "their image".

Yes...if I ever decide to create my own God...then I will make sure that he is a God of "love and compassion". But those ancient Jewish tribesmen obviously saw things DIFFERENTLY than I do. To each his own.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:02 PM   #5020
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
See if you can understand what I trying to say here:

An "all-powerful" God would have no need to be envied by his "subjects"...nor would he be jealous of "other gods". And why would such a God ever demand an animal sacrifice as proof that a group of people "believed" in him? The pettiness, jealousy and anger that the OT God displays are purely HUMAN qualities...which human beings have imposed on the God that they created. THEY were "angry", "jealous" and "vengeful"...and they created their God in "their image".

Yes...if I ever decide to create my own God...then I will make sure that he is a God of "love and compassion". But those ancient Jewish tribesmen obviously saw things DIFFERENTLY than I do. To each his own.
God's "jealousy" has NOTHING to do with his omnipotence. It has far more to do with his holy character.

And I have explained often why there is so much ceremonial, ritualistic symbolism in the Law of Moses -- and even prior to the Law. All that physical, external SYMBOLISM was designed to be temporary as it all pointed in some way to some aspect of internal, spiritual, eternal realities which ultimately were all fulfilled in Jesus Christ. Christ and Christ alone fulfills the Law and the Prophets (Mat 5:17), i.e. all the OT. All that ceremonial, ritualistic practice of Judaism came to an end initially at the Cross of Christ and finally with the Roman destruction of the Temple in 70 A.D.. As I have very often said on this forum, Christianity is nothing less than Fulfilled Judaism. (Read the Book of Hebrews some day.) Here is the biblical record of the initial end (the beginning of the end) of ritualistic Judaism:

Mark 15:38
38 And the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom.
NASB

I realize that the great significance of this miraculous event will escape you because you would have to informed as to what the Aaronic priesthood, established in the OT, was all about. The very short, condensed explanation to this is that behind that veil (which was actually a very heavy curtain) was the Holy of Holies wherein God's presence dwelt. And only the High Priest once a year on the Day of Atonement was allowed into the Holy of Holies on behalf of God's covenant people Israel. But now that the veil has been torn, all men everywhere have free access to God through his Son Jesus Christ if they seek God with a humble, contrite, repentant heart. No one any longer needs any priest to access God.

As far as anthropomorphisms are concerned, you are pressing them way beyond their intent. Don't forget: An anthropomorphism is a figure of speech. It assigns human characteristics to what is not human so that our finite minds can BEGIN to grasp the character, attributes and mind of the divine.. Don't you understand that anthropormophic language is a necessary linguistic tool if finite beings wish to come to some true understanding of the Infinite? If you really want to have a better understanding of what the divine looks like other than what the OT presents, then you must study the person, work and life of Christ; for he is God incarnate. Jesus could not have stated this truth any clearer than he did in this passage:

John 14:6-10
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father, but through Me. 7 "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; from now on you know Him, and have seen Him." 8 Philip said to Him, "Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us." 9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been so long with you, and yet you have not come to know Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; how do you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10 "Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father is in Me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on My own initiative, but the Father abiding in Me does His works.
NASB

Last edited by boxcar; 01-19-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:12 PM   #5021
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
There's a a big story out about an illegal alien who murdered at least a couple of cops. In the courtroom, this murderer displayed not even a remote hint of remorse. In fact, he told the court that he wishes he could have killed more and promised that he would if he ever escaped. But I suppose if you were the judge here and even when the jury finds him guilty as charged, you would have given him the lightest sentence possible out of the love, goodness and forgiveness of your heart? Newsflash: Since this isn't the way forgiveness works in this real and fallen word, why would you expect a holy God to lower the bar of justice below that of sinners!? Why would you expect a holy God to make a mockery of justice when even sinners can't?
God would punish this murderer.

God would punish this murderer's children.

Even unto the 10th generation.

Your "holy God" has already "lowered the bar".
Old 01-19-2018, 03:30 PM   #5022
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Or if there is such a thing as evil, then wouldn't your version of a loving god be a god of an infinite number of "second" chances whereby the very worst thing that could happen to anyone is multiple reincarnations until they finall get it "right" or at least "good enough"? In short, man's modern god is a Santa Claus-type -- just infinitely jolly ol' St. Nick who loves man so much that it would never cross his mind to ever stop giving.
You contradict yourself here. If God is a Santa Claus type to us "new age types", you wouldn't reincarnate. Who would want to go through many lifetimes just to "get it right" when they could just not grow and live blissfully in Heaven. Soooo much easier. You are not connecting the dots.That is not an option.

It is not as simple as reading a book (the Bible) or living one lifetime. That is because the subject at hand is infinite not only outwards, God, but inwards as well, the self, which is an extension of God, the infinite within. That inward journey is what all creatures must make not to be "good" but what one's heart demands of one's self. And what is the Heart, but God within.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #5023
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
God's "jealousy" has NOTHING to do with his omnipotence. It has far more to do with his holy character.
No shit! Watch this.

Old 01-19-2018, 04:18 PM   #5024
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
You contradict yourself here. If God is a Santa Claus type to us "new age types", you wouldn't reincarnate. Who would want to go through many lifetimes just to "get it right" when they could just not grow and live blissfully in Heaven. Soooo much easier. You are not connecting the dots.That is not an option.
YOU DO! You're the champion of reincarnation here. So yes..your god is the Santa type and he just keeps on giving and giving until you "get it right". His gift is the gift of numerous chances -- as may as it takes, which is antithetical to biblical teaching throughout the bible. Your god never calls anyone into judgment.

Quote:
It is not as simple as reading a book (the Bible) or living one lifetime. That is because the subject at hand is infinite not only outwards, God, but inwards as well, the self, which is an extension of God, the infinite within. That inward journey is what all creatures must make not to be "good" but what one's heart demands of one's self. And what is the Heart, but God within.
No one ever said the Christian life is "simple". Nor have I limited the Christian life to just reading the bible. The Christian life is a moment-by-moment process of sanctification by the power of the Word of God and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Just as the Word Incarnate lived his life always in the power of the Holy Spirit, his disciples, too, have to live by the Word of God and the Holy Spirit.

And the human heart is not inherently "God within". The human heart is inherently wicked and deceitful above all things. This is why sinners must be born again of the Word of God and the Spirit, otherwise they will never be transformed from within.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:21 PM   #5025
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
I already explained the anthropormophic use of the term "jealousy and provided a link to a very good sermon on the subject. You don't want to get it -- then so be it.