Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
comet52

Yesterday at Canterbury

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/163404376.html

Happy ending? Someone bet $200,000 Sunday on a Canterbury Park horse
Posted by: Howard Sinker Updated: July 23, 2012

There is a wildly successful 3-year-old at Canterbury Park named Heliskier, who won his fifth race in five starts on Sunday afternoon.

The horse hasn't been seriously challenged in any of its races, and was as close to a sure thing as left the starting gate during Sunday's race card.

It was such a sure thing that someone placed a $200,000 bet on Heliskier to win the fourth race, the MTA Stallion Auction Stakes. Yes, that's a two and five zeroes.

No, it wasn't the nervous, sweaty guy sitting next to you at the track: The bet was made through an off-track location, according to a Canterbury official.

Some perspective: The entire amount bet on all 11 races at Canterbury was about $146,000.

Also, the bet skewed the odds that the horses that finished second and third left the starting gate at odds of 206-1 and 235-1.

According to Canterbury Live blogger Jim Wells, this is the second time this year a $200,000 bet was made on Heliskier. Both were made just before post time.

The horse went off at the lowest allowable odds, 1-20, and paid $2.10 on a $2 win bet, which means the $200,000 bettor made $10,000 on the play. Because the horse paid the same amount to place and show, a Canterbury source speculated the person making the bet may have gotten a rebate of some sort as an incentive to place a win bet

Whatever the case, Upload recommends two things:

Remember the name Heliskier if the horse goes on to bigger and better things.

Don't try this at home. The practice of making such huge bets, usually on a horse to show, is called bridge jumping. You don't have to be a genius to figure out why.
comet52 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #2
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

The horse is a Minnesota bred that is tons better than his fellow statebreds. Short of injury or accident, he will never lose to them.

Last edited by cj; 07-23-2012 at 05:01 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #3
mannyberrios
easygoer

Thank goodness that this story has a happy ending.
mannyberrios is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
wisconsin

Hey, I was all over that tri .50 cent that paid .90 cents
Old 07-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
lamboguy

they bet more to win than to show on that horse, i played it myself, but i was not the guy that bet the two hundred large on him!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
davew

very interesting

late money to win?
davew is online now   Reply With Quote Reply