Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-14-2022, 10:38 PM   #46
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I love CA racing when it's being done right. I thought DMR had a terrific meet. Part of me hopes the sport recovers fully there and does very well. But the more analytical part of me thinks the politics are too hostile for that to happen. The long term prognosis is not good.
some people just want to see only the negative, that was a great meet. Been a long time since the fields were that good.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 04:34 AM   #47
westernmassbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
some people just want to see only the negative, that was a great meet. Been a long time since the fields were that good.
Yup seems like everything is judged by the negative these days. The meet was solid. BTW sandwiches were cheaper at Del Mar then Saratoga this year.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 08:10 AM   #48
$w1fT
SaratogaFan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post
Yup seems like everything is judged by the negative these days. The meet was solid. BTW sandwiches were cheaper at Del Mar then Saratoga this year.
I gotta give it to you. You’re pretty good.
$w1fT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 08:13 AM   #49
classhandicapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I'm used to negative people. I also post on a NY Knicks forum.
Old 09-15-2022, 11:50 AM   #50
Sheffwed

Baffert

Baffert makes California tracks unbettable

Del Mar is a wonderful place, and deserves better, hence it's great they had an excellent meet regardless

But California racing, stewards, etc. needs a major overhaul in general
Sheffwed is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 02:22 PM   #51
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
It's not that they're unable to get bodies there. They don't want to spend the marketing money to do it. Like I said previously they are content with 10k or so on weekends

They shouldn't have to spend marketing money to do it. It used to be the place to be. It is not too high on the list anymore.

Dilanesp, a few years back, pointed out that DM was making money from their live audience. The DM financials backed him up. It would seem foolish not to increase revenues and profits by increasing attendance.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:33 PM   #52
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
They shouldn't have to spend marketing money to do it. It used to be the place to be. It is not too high on the list anymore.

Dilanesp, a few years back, pointed out that DM was making money from their live audience. The DM financials backed him up. It would seem foolish not to increase revenues and profits by increasing attendance.
They spent tons on marketing to get the people there with TV ads running constantly. They stopped doing that in 2019. Craig Dado retired after last years meet partly because they weren't gonna put the money into marketing like they had in the past.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 03:47 PM   #53
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
They spent tons on marketing to get the people there with TV ads running constantly. They stopped doing that in 2019. Craig Dado retired after last years meet partly because they weren't gonna put the money into marketing like they had in the past.
This exactly, it is why I pointed out in a prior post about residing locally and I would be a recipient of all the marketing.
Cuffdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 04:47 PM   #54
Al Gobbi

Del Mar overpaid purses despite the increase in wagering this summer

https://www.drf.com/news/california-...ern-california
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2022, 05:58 PM   #55
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi View Post
Del Mar overpaid purses despite the increase in wagering this summer

https://www.drf.com/news/california-...ern-california
Handle up but revenue down?

This is why going by handle doesn't work anymore. If a big chunk of the handle was from highly rebated players then this is what happens

Old 09-15-2022, 06:23 PM   #56
AndyC

Quote:

Is there a point in having a racetrack with dwindling attendance at probably the greatest location anywhere? If just they want to have studio racing maybe they ought to build a track in Ramona.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:26 PM   #57
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Is there a point in having a racetrack with dwindling attendance at probably the greatest location anywhere? If just they want to have studio racing maybe they ought to build a track in Ramona.
What they're doing doesn't make a lot of sense to me either.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:51 PM   #58
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
In Ramona attendance would be virually zero. Attendance was up from 2021, we had more than 2 years of most severe Covid lockdowns and PETA eyes prior to that. It all combined to kill the joy of the fickle CA crowd with way more choices of outdoor activities versus anywhere else in the US.

Yes, CA racing is struggling but just looking at Del Mar attendance numbers and blaming Trevor Denman is short sighted.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:37 PM   #59
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffdaddy View Post
In Ramona attendance would be virually zero. Attendance was up from 2021, we had more than 2 years of most severe Covid lockdowns and PETA eyes prior to that. It all combined to kill the joy of the fickle CA crowd with way more choices of outdoor activities versus anywhere else in the US.

Yes, CA racing is struggling but just looking at Del Mar attendance numbers and blaming Trevor Denman is short sighted.

So basically just a slight drop in attendance in Ramona but a huge savings in overhead. Obviously I'm joking, but what's the point of having a big fancy grandstand in a prime location when you don't utilize it?

Lately I have heard nobody use Covid as an excuse not to go somewhere. I agree that people in CA are choosing other activities. If you have to beg or bribe someone to come see your product there really isn't too much demand for it.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:51 PM   #60
Cuffdaddy

Quote:
So basically just a slight drop in attendance in Ramona but a huge savings in overhead. Obviously I'm joking, but what's the point of having a big fancy grandstand in a prime location when you don't utilize it?

Lately I have heard nobody use Covid as an excuse not to go somewhere. I agree that people in CA are choosing other activities. If you have to beg or bribe someone to come see your product there really isn't too much demand for it.
I realize you were joking about Ramona, would you suggest they tear down the grandstand over attendance the last few seasons with Covid lockdowns. I should of been more clear, I was not referring to the public when I mentioned Covid but rather the thinking from a marketing standpoint when Covid protocol can change overnight.

Marketing is not begging, when a pro team has a bobblehead night or a big promotion the attendance numbers skyrocket.

You are right that Del Mar is in a beautiful location, cannot get much better but I think focusing on attendance as a reason for more despair about the state of CA racing is misguided. CA racing would be in the same place even if attendance jumped due to savy marketing.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: