Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-07-2022, 05:31 PM   #181
Profesor

[QUOTE=Sheffwed;2819591]yes I just found this place
I don't understand how you remain on the air[/QUOTE

That’s easy (connections)
Profesor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2022, 06:05 PM   #182
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Profesor View Post
That’s easy (connections)
nice quote job, btw

jealousy is an ugly thing
Old 08-07-2022, 06:10 PM   #183
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigbraddick View Post
Vic:

Sir Peter O'Sullevan told me that. His words have slightly more weight on the subject of race calling than yours do. When I say slightly, I am being polite. I mean immensely. You are famous for being the voice of Hollywood Park - he was famous for calling races for BBC Television from 1948-1997. Called every Royal Ascot for half a century, the Epsom Derby from 1954-1977, the 1,000 and 2,000 Guineas from 1950-1970, the Cheltenham Gold Cup from 1955-1991, the Grand National from 1948 on Radio and then on Television from 1960-1997, the Arc from 1954-1985...I could continue, but I think I have made my point.

Everyone has indeed botched a race call. It goes with the job.

I never said it defines their body of work. But your statement is such a straw man, I am wondering if you will be the first racecaller at Lord Summerisle Downs opening next year off the coast of Scotland.

The number of racecallers you have met does not lend credence to your argument.

I have definitely met race callers who do not try their VERY BEST on each and every race call and have largely become bored with the job except on big race days when their game rises to the occasion.
Sounds Good
Old 08-07-2022, 06:43 PM   #184
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
nice quote job, btw

jealousy is an ugly thing
I am never insulted by a poster that isn't even smart enough to quote posts properly.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 12:06 AM   #185
v j stauffer

Quote:
Vic:

Sir Peter O'Sullevan told me that. His words have slightly more weight on the subject of race calling than yours do. When I say slightly, I am being polite. I mean immensely. You are famous for being the voice of Hollywood Park - he was famous for calling races for BBC Television from 1948-1997. Called every Royal Ascot for half a century, the Epsom Derby from 1954-1977, the 1,000 and 2,000 Guineas from 1950-1970, the Cheltenham Gold Cup from 1955-1991, the Grand National from 1948 on Radio and then on Television from 1960-1997, the Arc from 1954-1985...I could continue, but I think I have made my point.

I never said it defines their body of work. But your statement is such a straw man, I am wondering if you will be the first racecaller at Lord Summerisle Downs opening next year off the coast of Scotland.

I have definitely met race callers who do not try their VERY BEST on each and every race call and have largely become bored with the job except on big race days when their game rises to the occasion.
Did Sir Peter ever call the Humboldt County Marathon?
Old 08-08-2022, 11:25 AM   #186
craigbraddick

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Did Sir Peter ever call the Humboldt County Marathon?
When you consider Telstar was launched in 1962, the first live televised race from the USA to Great Britain was the 1968 Washington DC International (Which Peter commentated on for the BBC as well as covering for the Daily Express) and he retired a long time before Ferndale sent their signal anywhere the answer would be "no." - wouldn't it?

However if he had called it, he would have done the same level of prep work as he did for all the races he called. How do I know this? Because I was with him when the BBC covered very ordinary racing mainly on weekdays.

Examples of both our prep work attached to show how in part he inspired me.

In his prime, I think he was better than anyone ever has been. Descriptive, accurate, knew when to use an economy of words, and knew when to turn it up, but never being a part of or a bigger part of the race itself.

None of this name, margin, name, margin, name, margin, name, margin etc, shout a bit near the finish, further wearing out the same cliches, and then mysteriously stopping the call 75 yards out as was the way in the US that prevailed for so long.

Read this: If you can think of a horse racing commentator who was so revered for so long and whose career at the very peak of the sport went on for so long, please point him out: https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rac...d-97-1.2301095

CraigSheets.jpg

PeterOSullevanSheet.jpg

Last edited by craigbraddick; 08-08-2022 at 11:31 AM.
craigbraddick is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #187
dilanesp

Quote:
However if he had called it, he would have done the same level of prep work as he did for all the races he called. How do I know this? Because I was with him when the BBC covered very ordinary racing mainly on weekdays.
I remember when Trevor first started calling Fairplex and was applying his talents to some 4 furlong Appaloosa race and his editorializations ("she can WAIT NO MORE") sounded faintly ridiculous in the context. (Having said that, both him and Wrona turned out to be great at calling quarter horse races. Go figure.)

But I admire how all you guys prepare, and how you put so much work into a less than 2 minute call.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 11:59 AM   #188
Brisk Urging
Veteran

How can Wrona not be calling races at a major circuit?
Brisk Urging is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 12:13 PM   #189
v j stauffer

Quote:
Vic:

I've always felt the brotherhood of race callers should stick together.

Have each other's backs.

Not sh** were we eat.

You've made some pretty damning accusations in this thread.

Accusing others of not having the same standard of professionalism as yourself and Sir Peter.

Care to name these colleagues?

I'm sure they'll appreciate the input from a man of your statue, ethic and skillset.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:47 PM   #190
pat

Johnny I in the sky is clear and precise in his race calls very good and deserved his position with NYRA.
Colmus is good at what he does.
Pete Aiello is the poet of storytelling throughout race sort of like Jack E Lee who was my favorite.
pat is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 12:51 PM   #191
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
Johnny I in the sky is clear and precise in his race calls very good and deserved his position with NYRA.
Colmus is good at what he does.
Pete Aiello is the poet of storytelling throughout race sort of like Jack E Lee who was my favorite.
Sure...and I bet you don't listen to him every racing day of the year like this New Yorker does.... that feels like NYRA pulled another swift one on us...
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 01:32 PM   #192
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
I've always felt the brotherhood of race callers should stick together.

Have each other's backs.

Not sh** were we eat.

You've made some pretty damning accusations in this thread.

Accusing others of not having the same standard of professionalism as yourself and Sir Peter.

Care to name these colleagues?

I'm sure they'll appreciate the input from a man of your statue, ethic and skillset.
Vic speaking of which

Saying announcers should have each others backs.You tried to steal a job from Wrona back in the day.Wrona got hired to call the fairs and Vic wrote a letter trying to steal his job..

This isnt having each others back Vic
Old 08-08-2022, 01:41 PM   #193
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisk Urging View Post
Prestidigitation. Ask Ritvo.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 02:01 PM   #194
dilanesp

Quote:
I love Wrona's work, but he's been in and out of a lot of jobs. He corrected me when I posted on this before- at least one of his major moves was to go work at another major racetrack.

But in general, when you see a lot of top level jobs on a resume, and the person is super-competent (as Wrona is), that indicates some reasons unrelated to one's competence for what is going on.

(Edited because of course you see lots of jobs on a resume as someone climbs the ladder.)

Last edited by dilanesp; 08-08-2022 at 02:08 PM.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-08-2022, 02:31 PM   #195
Brisk Urging
Veteran

Quote:
Vic speaking of which

Saying announcers should have each others backs.You tried to steal a job from Wrona back in the day.Wrona got hired to call the fairs and Vic wrote a letter trying to steal his job..

This isnt having each others back Vic
Vic i need you to man up and reply to my post dont be a coward.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: