Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-20-2017, 06:59 PM   #1
depalma113

It's official, Pletcher can't train a horse to run back in two weeks

He just doesn't know how to do it.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 07:17 PM   #2
Julz

That's why I told you not to bet it, but you said I wouldn't be cashing any tickets
Julz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 07:52 PM   #3
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz View Post
That's why I told you not to bet it, but you said I wouldn't be cashing any tickets
I'm sure you were cashing plenty with Gunnevera.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Wickel

But Leparoux can screw up a quality mount two weeks in a row.
Wickel is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #5
dilanesp

I don't buy this. Pletcher used to work for Wayne Lukas, who could wheel horses back as well as anyone. You think he forgot whatever Lukas used to do?

This horse didn't have it. But Pletcher gets lots of good horses, he'll have another top three year old at some point, and I wouldn't throw the horse out just because Pletcher usually doesn't like to run 2 weeks apart.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
n.c

Andy S

mentioned that Pletcher horses have been super cold last few days..after starting super hot during KY derby period.
n.c is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 09:25 AM   #7
tophatmert

The more races a Pletcher horse has ,the less I want to bet them . He is a trainer for owners want to win an early 3yo classic race. Owners want grade 1 races and early in careers and they want to send them out to stud. Many of his horses are so well bred that a few good grade 1 performances in a short time are all they need to command good sire money .Lets get our grade 1 and 2 early and then see if the horse can sustain good performances. You know what you are getting when you sign up with the Pletch.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #8
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
Don't you think a big part of it is most of his horses (like Always Dreaming) are used to 4-6 weeks between starts? If anything he's too easy on them, which is why I'm sure he doesn't like running in the Preakness. That 2 weeks back doesn't work for what he normally does.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #9
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophatmert View Post
The more races a Pletcher horse has ,the less I want to bet them . He is a trainer for owners want to win an early 3yo classic race. Owners want grade 1 races and early in careers and they want to send them out to stud. Many of his horses are so well bred that a few good grade 1 performances in a short time are all they need to command good sire money .Lets get our grade 1 and 2 early and then see if the horse can sustain good performances. You know what you are getting when you sign up with the Pletch.
This is how I bet many super trainers in the claiming game. I avoid trainers like Rudy Rodriguez, Karl Broberg, Jacobson ect the longer they have a horse in their barn. I always use them first off the claim and usually 2nd off the claim but it seems like the longer they have horses their performance starts to trail off. I've never 5hought of Pletcher this way but you may be on to something. I never thought AD was as good as advertised tho but will pay closer attention to other Pletcher runners this summer. It does seem to me though that throughout the course of the year Todd goes through real hot streaks and cold streaks. No stats to back that up but in the recent short term he hasn't been winning as many races as maybe accustomed
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I don't buy this. Pletcher used to work for Wayne Lukas, who could wheel horses back as well as anyone. You think he forgot whatever Lukas used to do?

This horse didn't have it. But Pletcher gets lots of good horses, he'll have another top three year old at some point, and I wouldn't throw the horse out just because Pletcher usually doesn't like to run 2 weeks apart.
True, but there's no way that Lukas would have run this horse without a single work since his last race. Pletcher may have been too easy on the horse. I can't understand why these trainers think that these lightly raced colts are going to burn out when so many Derby winners have won the Preakness.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
True, but there's no way that Lukas would have run this horse without a single work since his last race. Pletcher may have been too easy on the horse. I can't understand why these trainers think that these lightly raced colts are going to burn out when so many Derby winners have won the Preakness.
I'm almost certain that they don't really believe it. There's an economic imperative to lightly race especially your colts who might see stud duty, so they come up with theories about how it's better for the horses. If the economic imperative were the opposite, they'd have a bunch of theories about racing horses into condition and wheeling them back while they are sharp (which, in fact, older generations of horsemen did have).
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
Thomas Roulston

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post

Or maybe Always Dreaming won the Derby only because of the slop?
Thomas Roulston is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #13
outofthebox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Certainly a work out one week after the Derby would not of made a difference. It's not like he got caught in the final strides. He was done on the far turn. The runner up had no breeze in the two weeks, and actually trained less days than AD. Sometimes it's not meant to be.
outofthebox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #14
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Roulston View Post
Or maybe Always Dreaming won the Derby only because of the slop?
Go ahead and explain away his Florida Derby win too.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss9698 View Post
Don't you think a big part of it is most of his horses (like Always Dreaming) are used to 4-6 weeks between starts? If anything he's too easy on them, which is why I'm sure he doesn't like running in the Preakness. That 2 weeks back doesn't work for what he normally does.
I think he just targets a race and just can't continue the form once the original goal has been attained.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: