Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 04-07-2022, 02:25 PM   #1
JHK49

DRF Help

Greetings from South Georgia,

I am a retired senior citizen who has a family horse racing lineage. Or at least a grandmother handicapper who lived next to the track and an aunt who took up handicapping after she retired. Both of them have past away and the itch to play the ponies has ended up with me.

Unfortunately, I live in Georgia so I really cannot bet online but I can play virtually. With that, I need some help in figuring out which subscription of the DRF to purchase. Keeping in mind that this is only virtual betting and for me an opportunity to test my handicapping capability and hopefully improve my skills.

When I am traveling in Florida, I often stop by a dog track which has simulcast horse racing. I will purchase the DRF (about $10) and use the past performance info plus other variables to select the horse to bet on. I usually only wager on the races run at the Gulfstream track. What I would like is a DRF subscription that would provide the same information found in the DRF that I obtain at the simulcast track for Gulfstream in Florida.

When I look at the DRF website it gives you three choices 1. Formulator, 2. Classic or 3. TimeFormUS ..... each with a different cost per "race card".

So my questions are as follows:
1. Is a "race card" defined as one race at one track? In that, if Gulfstream has 12 races on Friday .... that would be considered 12 race cards?
2. Would the Classic choice be indicative of what is provided by the print edition of the DRF that I normally purchase at the simulcast track?

Can anyone help this neophyte.

JHK49
JHK49 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2022, 02:44 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A race card is a full day of races. Aqueduct, Saturday, with 12 races, is one card. The Classic is pretty much what you see in the print edition.
They have a Digital Paper that is just an electronic version with all the same tracks, see info here:

https://shop.drf.com/drf-digital-paper

Formulator has a free race of the day, you check it out here

https://www.drf.com/race-of-the-day
Old 04-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #3
xtb

TimeformUS gives you 2 free races a day to check them out.

https://timeformus.com/
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2022, 03:17 PM   #4
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Welcome to Paceadvantage!

I started with DRF but migrated to Brisnet and then TimeformUS. I prefer TimeformUS hands down. The Pace Projector in TimeformUS alone is a valuable tool to me. As posted by XTB, you can check out the two free races every day @timeformus and see if you like the format.

TimeofrmUS really is made for electronic viewing and devices. Thus the colorful presentation and the way the format is laid out for viewing on a tablet or PC/laptop. But if I happen to be at the track without my tablet or Chromebook, I do buy a Daily Racing Form, pull out the pens and pencils, and pretend it's 1995.
Old 04-07-2022, 03:35 PM   #5
mabred

drf

just gulf stream ??
mabred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2022, 04:03 PM   #6
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK49 View Post

When I am traveling in Florida, I often stop by a dog track which has simulcast horse racing. I will purchase the DRF (about $10) and use the past performance info plus other variables to select the horse to bet on. I usually only wager on the races run at the Gulfstream track. What I would like is a DRF subscription that would provide the same information found in the DRF that I obtain at the simulcast track for Gulfstream in Florida.

You can buy and download past performances from Brisnet.com. What they call "Premium Past Performances" are the same as you would get in the printed DRF. They cost $1 per card, and are available at least the day before the race and some times earlier. Very easy to buy, download, and print out.

There is also a section on Brisnet.com (same page as the past performances) where free past performances may be available if you have an account with them. For the past few weeks, they have offered the full card for Oaklawn for every day they run.
Old 04-07-2022, 04:14 PM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHK49 View Post
Greetings from South Georgia,

I am a retired senior citizen who has a family horse racing lineage. Or at least a grandmother handicapper who lived next to the track and an aunt who took up handicapping after she retired. Both of them have past away and the itch to play the ponies has ended up with me.

Unfortunately, I live in Georgia so I really cannot bet online but I can play virtually. With that, I need some help in figuring out which subscription of the DRF to purchase. Keeping in mind that this is only virtual betting and for me an opportunity to test my handicapping capability and hopefully improve my skills.

When I look at the DRF website it gives you three choices 1. Formulator, 2. Classic or 3. TimeFormUS ..... each with a different cost per "race card".

So my questions are as follows:
1. Is a "race card" defined as one race at one track? In that, if Gulfstream has 12 races on Friday .... that would be considered 12 race cards?
2. Would the Classic choice be indicative of what is provided by the print edition of the DRF that I normally purchase at the simulcast track?

Can anyone help this neophyte.

JHK49
If you feel like Formulator is for you, please sign up using the link below....thanks!

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-07-2022 at 04:18 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2022, 07:02 PM   #8
formula_2002
what an easy game.

I find more success handicapping the public's betting dollars.
cost for data $0.00. I'm ahead already !!

" I pass with relief from the tossing sea of cause and theory to the firm ground of result and fact"
Winston Churchill
formula_2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #9
JHK49

Gulf Stream ?????

As mentioned, I am a neophyte to actually betting on the horses. When I would travel to Florida from Georgia to see an old friend of mine ..... I would stop at the simulcast establishments and bet on 3 or 4 races. At that time my race track of preference was Calder .... but then later on it was bought out and the name changed to Gulfstream. For me, the track really doesn't matter. I am more into reading and learning about how to handicap. I just find it a VERY interesting puzzle. Of course I do like to win money but more so, don't like to lose. The friend I see in Florida doesn't care about the track ...... therefore, I am by myself. As to other parks, I do have a friend near Tampa Bay Downs if I want more of the thrill in watching a live race.
JHK49 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply