Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-02-2022, 08:23 PM   #16
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
Not sure what ground beef rolls are, but I just bought 80/20 ground beef for $3.99 a pound at Riverside Foods in Riverside. Somebody saw you coming.

There are occasionally things out of stock, but if you wait a few days they usually come back. , I am not saying prices aren’t going up and we do have to address this. On the other hand, my monthly Social Security benefit and Postal Service pension just went up $165 a month, combined. Nice to have EARNED good benefits while I was working.
Yet another mosty post wadded up and tossed in the trash can.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-02-2022, 11:54 PM   #17
sandpit

I've purposely walked in a lot of stores in my area (I live about 20 mile outside of Louisville) and no matter where you go, you see lots of empty shelves across the board.

Even Costco, where I was today, had big empty coolers where it's normally full of chicken and turkey. Dry goods and staples were plentiful though. And the place was packed with people because of the impending ice/snow storm.

Costco still has the whole rotisserie chickens for $4.99, and the hot dog/soda combo at the deli for $1.50. Worth the annual fee right there!
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2022, 11:47 AM   #18
Inner Dirt

I need to retract earlier statements that pet food has always been well stocked here during the whole pandemic, wrong! I just failed to notice canned dog and cat food wiped out because I only buy dry cat food.
I have found dry cat food doesn't create the odors coming out the other end that the wet stuff does.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2022, 01:35 PM   #19
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I need to retract earlier statements that pet food has always been well stocked here during the whole pandemic, wrong! I just failed to notice canned dog and cat food wiped out because I only buy dry cat food.
I have found dry cat food doesn't create the odors coming out the other end that the wet stuff does.
Cats get a huge portion of their hydration from eating wet food.

Years of dry only will contribute to kidney failure in the years after the age of 10.

Just a tip ……….
Old 02-03-2022, 02:10 PM   #20
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Years of dry only will contribute to kidney failure in the years after the age of 10.

Just a tip ……….

I did not know that. I used to feed the semi-moist, but that seems to have gone the way of the dinosaur.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:06 PM   #21
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post

Just a tip ……….
Wonder if it is the same way with dogs.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2022, 03:12 PM   #22
OntheRail

Have a 22 year old cat who needs and will only eat chicken and her Science Diet WD. For the past year finding Friskies Pate' cat food has been near impossible. Can find shreader or chunks often in beef and chicken, beef or fish. She will not eat those. I think it's cause they can put less meat and more sauce in each can. But went to TC for barn cat food same day connected to this thread. No large bag of dry cat food... no canned cat food. Dog food was about in same shape. When you consider pet foods are made from byproducts of our food supplies its no surprise at all our empty shelves lead to their empty shelves.

We went from peace and prosperity... to fear and lacking in under a year. All cause thin shin turds could not accept accomplishments over tweets.

Thanks Joe and the morons who propped him up... next stop for Brandon is a little war to distract from his horrible administration lack of anything positive. But I have little doubt it will be handle on par with the Afghanistan withdrawal. Incompetence IS the Hallmark of this Administration. But hey no mean tweets about CNN.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:17 PM   #23
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Wonder if it is the same way with dogs.
Article by a vet that touches on kidney disease dogs vs. cats --

Kidney Disease in Dogs – Part 1 Why Did He Get It?:
https://dogsfirst.ie/health-issues/kidney-disease-dogs/

Quote:
Shockingly between 0.37% of (O’Neil et al. 2003) and up to 3.74% of dogs are affected by chronic kidney disease (Sosnar 2003), each day, which is around five times the rate we see in humans (www.kidney.org).

The fact is, organs, and certainly kidneys, are like car tyres, the more they wear the more they tear. So to avoid (or treat) the disease you need to reduce the amount of work the kidney has to do. With this in mind, and in no particular order, here are 9 reasons why choosing a dry, ultra-processed, cereal-based food stuff over a fresh, species-appropriate diet is going to potentially cause kidney disease in dogs.
Quote:
The very nature of the disease demands that lots of water is passed through the kidneys. There is nobody in human medicine or nutrition who would recommend a dry diet for kidney disease sufferers. This is very likely why cats, with their lower thirst drive, are more prone to kidney disease than dogs (largely due to urolyte crystals). Studies show cats produce smaller amounts of concentrated urine, “and this may be particularly marked when they are fed dry (extruded) diets” (Burger et al. 1980; Gaskell 1985), than we see in dogs (Stevenson et al. 2003).

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 02-03-2022 at 03:20 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-03-2022, 03:26 PM   #24
Inner Dirt

I had a cat that passed away two years ago who was a very picky eater, she would only eat Royal Canin Savor Selective dry food. It probably came from being sick as a kitten with a respiratory virus. I force fed her milk for a month, I kept trying to get her to eat all kinds of things till she finally ate the Royal Canin, it has a real strong smell. I would probably be driving all over hell looking for the specific food if she was still alive. She didn't even have any interest in fresh tuna or salmon. Force feeding a cat 10x a day a syringe of milk isn't any fun.
Old 02-03-2022, 03:29 PM   #25
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Over the years I’ve lost 4 cats to kidney disease. From 12-17 yrs of age. It’s the most common killer I believe

If you haven’t given a cat “sub Q” fluids ever……it’s a treat. Nice little IV setup in your house.

I had one that I gave sub q fluids to for 7 years. Twice a week. He lived to 17 I believe.

Thanks Jeff for the info