Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 06-05-2021, 07:25 PM   #361
lefty359

headhawg, I know what you are saying. Been at this a long time. No magic is right. I too, when I got VC the first time, bet way too many races.
lefty359 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #362
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

You should get a tablet! when you get to the race book just connect to the wifi and update the scratches on ValueCapper.
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2021, 08:28 PM   #363
mabred

does value capper work on a tablet????
mabred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #364
lefty359

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Figure View Post
You should get a tablet! when you get to the race book just connect to the wifi and update the scratches on ValueCapper.

That's the problem, racebookI been going to for 40 yrs has been leased to WM Hill. And now no wifi. I take my computer o the racebook.
The thing is, I'd like to get scratches night before, but doesn't look possible.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:24 PM   #365
Kbatch57

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty359 View Post
That's the problem, racebookI been going to for 40 yrs has been leased to WM Hill. And now no wifi. I take my computer o the racebook.
The thing is, I'd like to get scratches night before, but doesn't look possible.
You could try using your Cell Phone as a personal Hotspot. That way you could have Internet access at the racebook.
Kbatch57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2021, 10:42 PM   #366
lefty359

I don't have a fancy phone. Just a flip job. I make a few calls, ger a few calls. The prices for unlimited coverage more than I want to pay.
My wife says I'm cheap, but I say I'm frugal.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:45 PM   #367
lefty359

Also, like I say I take computer to racebook. So I get the scatches right there. But Mhaney bes in advance, so I'd like to know how scratches affect his play.
If I start taking all the tracks I'll need to play the night tracks in advance, r
Old 06-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #368
mhaney0423

Quote:
mhaney, One more thing, Columbo used to say, Betting ahead like you do,
do you get the scratches from somewhere?
I go to racebook and never know what the scratches are till I get there.
I pull scratches on Valuecapper about noon, so I dont always get all of them especially for the late afternoon and evening tracks.
mhaney0423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 11:12 AM   #369
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
I don't have a fancy phone. Just a flip job. I make a few calls, ger a few calls. The prices for unlimited coverage more than I want to pay.
My wife says I'm cheap, but I say I'm frugal.
I'm cheap too, but with tracfone, I pay 6.67/month, plus 5.00 every six months or so for 500 texts, and 10.00 for 1GB of data approx. twice a year. That amounts to 9.17/month, call it $10. I can get everything, music, drf live odds, Pace Adv., or anything on my $69 Samsung smartphone. When I was still frequenting the OTW, I would have live odds, exacta and doubles will-pays before they got around to updating. And Parx often waits until the last minute before showing them. Now if someone wants to play a lot of internet games on their phone, 1GB of data doesn't go very far.
Old 06-08-2021, 11:14 AM   #370
mhaney0423

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
I'm cheap too, but with tracfone, I pay 6.67/month, plus 5.00 every six months or so for 500 texts, and 10.00 for 1GB of data approx. twice a year. That amounts to 9.17/month, call it $10. I can get everything, music, drf live odds, Pace Adv., or anything on my $69 Samsung smartphone. When I was still frequenting the OTW, I would have live odds, exacta and doubles will-pays before they got around to updating. And Parx often waits until the last minute before showing them. Now if someone wants to play a lot of internet games on their phone, 1GB of data doesn't go very far.
1 GB would be enough data to download scratches to Valuecapper for a year.
mhaney0423 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2021, 11:26 AM   #371
lefty359

Years ago my wife and I had Tracphones. Cheap until they charged us a lot for airtime which amounted to about $80. Then it wasn't as cheap as we thought. Do they still do that?
Old 06-08-2021, 01:04 PM   #372
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Years ago my wife and I had Tracphones. Cheap until they charged us a lot for airtime which amounted to about $80. Then it wasn't as cheap as we thought. Do they still do that?
Not to my knowledge, but that may have been on some original plan. We've never had any airtime charges on my wife's or mine. They do have 25 and 35 per month unlimited plans, but I've never needed one. I only need to buy the extra 1GB thing because I'll often watch guitar tutorial videos. Vids eat up a lot of data, evidently.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:16 PM   #373
lefty359

FNC, thanks for your insights. Something for me to consider...
Old 06-21-2021, 07:27 PM   #374
Mikym

Hi all, I am a long time lurker but a first time poster. This particular post was of interest to me as I also use ValueCapper and do pretty well with it. I swear I am not a plant for MP. I have actually been betting on horses for a long time. I’ve been married for 31 years and the first time my wife and I went away together was to the old Rockingham Park. (I know…how romantic…)

Anyway, i started betting after reading James Quinn, and once Pace Makes The Race came out I started my own database using Lotus. (For you really young folks, Lotus was Excel before Excel.) Eventually, it just became to much to do as I got more responsibility at work…you know the rest. Enough about me.

I started using ValueCapper about 15 months ago. For the first four months, I could not lose. I mean, I showed a healthy profit every single session. I thought, “Where has this thing been all my life?” And then, it all went south. I basically gave everything back over the next four months. Some of my losing was self inflicted, like thinking I had an exacta box, when I didn’t. Some was bad luck.

I took the next four months off, and when I decided to start again, I rewatched the videos that come with the software. I realized I wasn’t doing anything wrong, but there was a lot I wasn’t doing. A lot of that was covered by mhaney0423. Betting to many races, and so on. I basically do most of the things he does, but not all.

I will make a bet on a horse that is less than 5-1. Why? Well, one of the things I learned was being flexible. I can’t tell you how many times there was a horse on the top of the line, that ValueCapper would suggest betting if the odds were 5-1 and I wouldn’t bet because despite the horse being an overlay at 4-1, and the horse was clearly the best horse in the field, I would not bet because the horse wasn’t 5-1, only to see that horse win. So I will be flexible on the odds if the horse is on the top of the line and is an overlay.

The other thing I learned is Primary bets versus Secondary bets. All of my bets were the same amount. I’m not sure how others feel about that, but my ROI is much more consistent since I started doing that.

Finally, I make my bets a few minutes before the race, rather than early.
So with all that, for the spring my ROI is 1.29. I guess that’s pretty good. To be honest, I do expect it to go up and down, but if I could get it to stick around 1.2, I’d be pretty happy.

Sorry this is so long. I guess I have a number of years worth of stuff to talk about.
Mikym is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-21-2021, 07:39 PM   #375
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikym View Post
Hi all, I am a long time lurker but a first time poster. This particular post was of interest to me as I also use ValueCapper and do pretty well with it. I swear I am not a plant for MP. I have actually been betting on horses for a long time. I’ve been married for 31 years and the first time my wife and I went away together was to the old Rockingham Park. (I know…how romantic…)

Anyway, i started betting after reading James Quinn, and once Pace Makes The Race came out I started my own database using Lotus. (For you really young folks, Lotus was Excel before Excel.) Eventually, it just became to much to do as I got more responsibility at work…you know the rest. Enough about me.

I started using ValueCapper about 15 months ago. For the first four months, I could not lose. I mean, I showed a healthy profit every single session. I thought, “Where has this thing been all my life?” And then, it all went south. I basically gave everything back over the next four months. Some of my losing was self inflicted, like thinking I had an exacta box, when I didn’t. Some was bad luck.

I took the next four months off, and when I decided to start again, I rewatched the videos that come with the software. I realized I wasn’t doing anything wrong, but there was a lot I wasn’t doing. A lot of that was covered by mhaney0423. Betting to many races, and so on. I basically do most of the things he does, but not all.

I will make a bet on a horse that is less than 5-1. Why? Well, one of the things I learned was being flexible. I can’t tell you how many times there was a horse on the top of the line, that ValueCapper would suggest betting if the odds were 5-1 and I wouldn’t bet because despite the horse being an overlay at 4-1, and the horse was clearly the best horse in the field, I would not bet because the horse wasn’t 5-1, only to see that horse win. So I will be flexible on the odds if the horse is on the top of the line and is an overlay.

The other thing I learned is Primary bets versus Secondary bets. All of my bets were the same amount. I’m not sure how others feel about that, but my ROI is much more consistent since I started doing that.

Finally, I make my bets a few minutes before the race, rather than early.
So with all that, for the spring my ROI is 1.29. I guess that’s pretty good. To be honest, I do expect it to go up and down, but if I could get it to stick around 1.2, I’d be pretty happy.

Sorry this is so long. I guess I have a number of years worth of stuff to talk about.
Welcome to PA...

I'm sure many here have about the same kinda life you have....
Most will say keeping a 1.20 ROI is something we all would like..
I too have Prime and Secondary bets...but those Secondary bets can wipe all the hard work you've done getting those Prime's..
Try just betting Primes and see what happens

GB
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply