Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

R9 Belmont G2 Suburban

Solid field of 11 going 10 panels for $700K.

Name Changer: An obvious class jumper in here that has tried Graded Stakes competition in the past without much success. Best career race to date is likely when he beat fellow peer in here Discreet Lover. Complete toss as it is tough to see even in the Super without a career best effort and others falling well short.

War Story: Always seems to run a nice race, but never good enough. His two lone victories over the last two years were at Tampa in a much lesser field than this and in a 12 panel short field Brooklyn last summer. Had things pretty much his way in this year's Brooklyn last out, and still couldn't get it done. Exotics bound.

Zanotti: Had a monster 2017 campaign, and the connections have ramped up the stakes and competition. 4 for 4 in the Exacta in '18, yet zero wins. Not sure he has ever ran a race that can beat this field.

Tapwrit: Likely the biggest question mark in the field after his not so great '18 beau. However, he hit the gate in that effort and didn't get the greatest of trips. And that was after a lengthy layoff with that race assuredly not being any kind of goal. Now the goal is in front of him, and we'll likely get this guys best effort. A horse I'm sure that there will be many differing opinions.

Dr. Dorr: Was cross entered at Prairie Meadows last night, but sticks here. This Baffert entry is having a dream 2018 season as he is 3 for 4 which includes his fairly solid runner up to Accelerate in the Santa Anita Gold Cup. Lightly raced 5YO that they toiled with sprints for a while before he really broke through this year getting back to 2 turns. His last 2 races have made this late developing 5YO the ML favorite. Little doubt of the strategy, as he'll get to the front and try to wall everybody off.

Discreet Lover: Has had a rather dismal 2018 campaign and the lowest odds of his last three races has been 20/1. Likely needs to get back to the Parx, Laurel, Chucktown stakes circuit. Unless you're a major player of the 'vanned off' angle, this is a tough one to play.

Take Your Guns: Lightly raced 4YO ran a pretty solid race in the Brooklyn as he was beaten by a couple of solid rivals in here. He is undoubtedly getting better, and could be at that stage to crank out a monster. My pick at 6/1 or better.

Hoppertunity: This money making machine could become a $5 million dollar earner with a win today. That is pretty rare air. The old Baffert war horse just bangs along and runs his race just about every time out. Has to be considered as a major contender in here. His 2 for 2 record at Belmont can't be overlooked.

Sorry Erik: Really interesting ship from the Desormeaux brothers. Will be his first time at 10 panels, and could get a pace set up for him to pass many others late. Almost impossible to see on top, but could be a bottom end exotics booster.

Diversify: Loves Belmont, but a number of those races are against much lesser competition and/or state-bred only races. However, his lone venture at 10 furlongs was a victory in a G1 at this very track in last October's Jockey Club Gold Cup. Will undoubtedly need to be on or near the lead in here, and this post may be too much to overcome. Really nice horse in what I see as a tough spot.

The Lieutenant: Has really never beaten the likes of these, much less from the 11 hole. The has spanked him twice in two of his last three races. Can't see it.

SUMMARY: Looking to get the at something near his ML of 8/1 and will need to likely include in horizontals
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I like in here.
looks ready to move head withthe cut back to 10 today.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:20 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post

Dr. Dorr: Was cross entered at Prairie Meadows last night, but sticks here. This Baffert entry is having a dream 2018 season as he is 3 for 4 which includes his fairly solid runner up to Accelerate in the Santa Anita Gold Cup. Lightly raced 5YO that they toiled with sprints for a while before he really broke through this year getting back to 2 turns. His last 2 races have made this late developing 5YO the ML favorite. Little doubt of the strategy, as he'll get to the front and try to wall everybody off.

Hoppertunity: This money making machine could become a $5 million dollar earner with a win today. That is pretty rare air. The old Baffert war horse just bangs along and runs his race just about every time out. Has to be considered as a major contender in here. His 2 for 2 record at Belmont can't be overlooked.

$ $tarts here...

I feel that the public is somewhat excited about Dr. Dorr, which hurts the value. The 'insight' here is probably Hoppertunity nearing his decline as he gets up in age. Baffert wouldn't mind 'passing the torch' amongst his B-Level older horses from Hop to Dorr... The problem is that Dorr isn't a top horse (either). Dorr has been blessed to be under the study of one of the top trainers, but has some faults. If not for the tutelage of Baffert, he may still be known as "Mr. Dorr".

I kind of expect Hoppertunity to be there 'in reserve'. An insurance policy 'lying in wait'. If he can turn on the light switch as Dorr shortens stride into the lane he can be part of the blanket finish. Not a certainty.

Even with that scenario expect Dorr to tire less than your eyes anticipate, and it may be hard to get him out of the exacta and tri.

Take Your Guns is moving forward and legitimately figures to be a part of any kind of late flow.

Sorry Erik is the reach you want, to stretch your exacta or tri into a 50cent or dime flyer. If Dorr shortens, Desormeaux will do his best to hustle up a sharp, albeit less classy long shot.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-07-2018 at 01:23 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
RunForTheRoses

I like Navarro here, 2, nearly one last time, won't be much of a price.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 04:18 PM   #5
Andy Asaro

with the 10 to win.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 05:24 PM   #6
Secondbest

Have to go with a Baffert exacta . 58 box
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 06:09 PM   #7
098poi

Win and
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 06:21 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

This is a real stupid distance for this track.
I'll pass.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #9
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Another very non-competitive race at Belmont.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
with the 10 to win.
Good call
Old 07-07-2018, 06:26 PM   #11
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
with the 10 to win.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:27 PM   #12
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Every horse I hated is your bomb central Trifecta Box.

Speed killed at Belmont today. Regardless of distance.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 06:28 PM   #13
098poi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Good call

Yes at least someone hit. Glad I didn't "unload"!
098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #14
Andy Asaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Good call
Had a little win money on him but screwed up my P5 and P4. Missed Exactas and Tri's and Supers.

Need and in the next leg and to hit the P3 a bunch of time. But, when you're as cold as I am it's hard to have any confidence.

I wonder how many people would have bet Diversify if they knew Dr. Dorr was gonna take back? A lot.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Every horse I hated is your bomb central Trifecta Box.

Speed killed at Belmont today. Regardless of distance.
Poor track maintenance?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: