Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-15-2019, 08:06 PM   #1
BIG49010

Hemp and Race Horses?

I heard of a trainer at Gulfstream, I won't disclose his name, but he is one of the larger barns, that just placed an order for 100 pound of Hemp.

I have no idea if that is a performance enhancer, anybody know?

Cost is $400 for the 100 pounds fyi.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010 View Post
I heard of a trainer at Gulfstream, I won't disclose his name, but he is one of the larger barns, that just placed an order for 100 pound of Hemp.

Could you please offer some proof of this?

Thanks in advance.
the little guy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
tophatmert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010 View Post

If you are performing a revival of "Up In Smoke " , yes.
tophatmert is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2019, 09:00 PM   #4
AltonKelsey
Veteran

$400 ?

If I put them is little plastic bags and sell them for $5 each , I can make a lot of bucks!

Thanks for the tip.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2019, 09:04 PM   #5
AltonKelsey
Veteran

Fantastic thing called the internet, maybe you've heard of it ?

You can type things in and find out stuff . Instead of asking question, you can find answers.

like this

https://harmanyequine.com/hemp-for-horses/
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Could you please offer some proof of this?

Thanks in advance.

I no proof, it is a sales guy who sells all kinds of supplements to trainers. I don't think he would tell me if it wasn't true. I have no idea if it is good for horses, I put it up on here to find out?
Old 12-16-2019, 12:51 AM   #7
MONEY

Hemp for animals.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:00 AM   #8
jay68802

"Hemp is an exciting herb for horses. Its uses are still being gathered, but it has strong pain-relieving qualities." Thought this part was interesting.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 05:30 AM   #9
groupie doll

hemp and marijuana are not the same thing...two different plants.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
FakeNameChanged

Sounds like some of the "insiders" are out of the loop on the use of hemp with horses.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 11:36 AM   #11
clicknow

Maybe he bought in plant form so workers could weave baskets and braid it for lead ropes in their spare time?

I use hemp seed oil on my skin because it's non comodogenic. Cannabinoid-free.

Last edited by clicknow; 12-16-2019 at 11:41 AM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

it helps handicapping

From an ignorant distance = 'cbd' itself has some potentially applicable effects, and can be isolated and dosed relatively accurately.

Hemp would seem more of a trendy product with some potential to market. Higher strains could have an effect.

I can only guess with added benefits of things like fiber/digestion.

cool, nonetheless
Old 12-16-2019, 12:20 PM   #13
RunForTheRoses

Hey Mon! Where's my gage?

https://images.app.goo.gl/MhZEYy6v7NdKkSfL6
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 12:27 AM   #14
papillon

Hemp is about the only option for animal feed right now.

Feedstock grain supplies are almost completely depleted. Seed corn supply for next year is dangerously low. In IA, farmers are feeding their dairy cows stale bread, because they can't secure feed. In Brazil, ranchers are trying to form a coalition to buy up all of Brazil's current feedstock so that it doesn't get sold to foriegn countries, esp. China and us, because they are in trouble too, esp after selling to us 6 mos ago--the first time in history our country has ever imported grain. Let that sink in. Even during the 1930s, we never had to import grain.

Every crop that was not in FL this year was either lost or harvested below 50%, and what was harvested is rotting in silos because there isn't enough propane to allow farmers to dry their crops. FL is the only source of sugar in the country right now. Reserves ran out this week. We literally only have FL's US Sugar and FL Crystal's stalks for next year. 2020 may be the year the FL avacado gives the Haas a run for its money, given it may end up the only avacado in stores.

Many states have granted farmers the right to grow hemp this year as their winter crop, because it's the only thing that will grow. Things are dire for farmers right now, lots of foreclosures on the horizon.

Hemp is actually very nutrious, but it might be vetter suited to ruminates, I don't know.

The most serious news is news no one is paying attention to, that we've had 2 horrible harvest years in a row, and 2019 was one of the worst on record. It has been the year without a Fall. 2020 looks to be more of the same. Check your packages, that box of Cheerios is the same price, but smaller than 6 months ago, same with your french fries. Shrinkflage.

We're fighting over a tariff that if lifted we haven't got the grain to fill. Except whatever the govt did with all of that Brazilian corn. Fwiw, Ukraine was the only place that had a normal harvest this year, everywhere else was down or destroyed...

Anywho, hemp is not pot. It's just a really hardy, nutrious, verstile, native plant. I have no idea if it is good for horses, seems pretty tough, but, who knows.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2019, 05:41 AM   #15
groupie doll

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
Hemp is about the only option for animal feed right now.

Feedstock grain supplies are almost completely depleted. Seed corn supply for next year is dangerously low. In IA, farmers are feeding their dairy cows stale bread, because they can't secure feed. In Brazil, ranchers are trying to form a coalition to buy up all of Brazil's current feedstock so that it doesn't get sold to foriegn countries, esp. China and us, because they are in trouble too, esp after selling to us 6 mos ago--the first time in history our country has ever imported grain. Let that sink in. Even during the 1930s, we never had to import grain.

Every crop that was not in FL this year was either lost or harvested below 50%, and what was harvested is rotting in silos because there isn't enough propane to allow farmers to dry their crops. FL is the only source of sugar in the country right now. Reserves ran out this week. We literally only have FL's US Sugar and FL Crystal's stalks for next year. 2020 may be the year the FL avacado gives the Haas a run for its money, given it may end up the only avacado in stores.

Many states have granted farmers the right to grow hemp this year as their winter crop, because it's the only thing that will grow. Things are dire for farmers right now, lots of foreclosures on the horizon.

Hemp is actually very nutrious, but it might be vetter suited to ruminates, I don't know.

The most serious news is news no one is paying attention to, that we've had 2 horrible harvest years in a row, and 2019 was one of the worst on record. It has been the year without a Fall. 2020 looks to be more of the same. Check your packages, that box of Cheerios is the same price, but smaller than 6 months ago, same with your french fries. Shrinkflage.

We're fighting over a tariff that if lifted we haven't got the grain to fill. Except whatever the govt did with all of that Brazilian corn. Fwiw, Ukraine was the only place that had a normal harvest this year, everywhere else was down or destroyed...

Anywho, hemp is not pot. It's just a really hardy, nutrious, verstile, native plant. I have no idea if it is good for horses, seems pretty tough, but, who knows.
Spot on, and the first thing I thought of as I read your first paragraph was the sugar beet problem due to climate change. Expect the price of sugar to go up real fast since a lot of it will now be imported from Mexico... and with all the problems growing crops due to weather alterations, etc. we really need to figure out alternate grains (such as hemp, or fonio). The reliance worldwide on the "top grains" like corn and wheat is really taxing the entire ecosystem since they were never used as prominent food sources to the extent that they have been over the last 150 years or so. The same thing (climate change) is starting to happen to the wine industry; soon many vineyards are going to have to find different grapes that are hardier and can withstand the climate change.
groupie doll is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: