Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-27-2020, 11:33 AM   #16
AMPHAR

IMO, it’s best to have a trainer with significant ownership interest. Also a trainer that’s a straight shooter. Having friends invested too makes it more fun.

Had a lot of fun with a group based out of Turfway Park buying $20k claimers. Trainer would own 50%.

The CD racing club always looks like a good time when they show up at the track.
AMPHAR is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2020, 12:58 PM   #17
BIG49010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fightingirish51195 View Post
How is it a scheme?

I guess why I say that is, most of these have zero chance of showing a profit. You as the owner have no input, you pay your money and take the ride. The marketing firm takes all the profits, and moves on to the next one.

To me you could do it on paper at home, have your stable of horses, follow them and bet accordingly for free. Buy a winner circle picture from the track photographer for $20 dollars when they win!

The horse business is extremely difficult, 99% probably loose money, and my guess 75% loose their complete investment.

Even large owners with billions, have issues with the IRS calling it a hobby and not a business after many years of losses.

That's my 2 cents, perhaps if they get back to more hay and oats, and away from vet bills that equal training bills perhaps the little guy can get back in the game.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:34 PM   #18
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
Figured this was probably the best spot for a thread like this. Decided to spend 75 bucks in a .01 percent share of Mo Mischief. I know the odds of making profit are pretty slim, but I’m doing it for the fun of it as it seems like it could be a really fun experience.

Just wondering if anyone here has invested in any horses through the site and if you’ve enjoyed the experience to this point
Myracehorse.com is actually one of the better share sites to use.

Its very very cheap to buy. Like what Irish said above, $75 to get a 0.01% share of the horse is a pretty good deal. Its not the best, but at least you own a piece of the horse. They have a good deal on there now (must have sold out of the other 5+ horses they had on there), where you can have the "Filly 4" and own 4 nice bread filly's all at a cost of $180 for a 0.01 share.

But also the best thing is that people like irish and everyone else that buys in is that you don't need a licence!! You just pay the fee (like $75) and your set for life. One of the horses actually won a G1 stakes race, which if the horse won, got a $6 million dollar bonus to all the owners!!

There is a harness racing fractional ownership that is exactly like this, but is much more complicated.

1) You need to have a licence (Canada or USA) to have your horse race. If you don't have your licence by the time the horse is ready to race, the horse automatically scratches no questions asked. Its worse in the states as you need to have ALL the states the horse could possibly race, not like in Canada where its nation wide. Between $100-$200.

2) You pay the initial buying fee (anywhere between $75-$1000) per 1% share, which is much better than myracehorse.com (feels like you actually own the horse.

3) You pay a fee of $27.75 (plus HST) every month per 1%. So if you owned 10% you would pay $277.50 for your 10% ownership.

They still do a great job as they do daily updates on your horse with live streams, barn tours any time and so much more.

Last edited by HHE10; 05-27-2020 at 02:35 PM.
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-27-2020, 05:45 PM   #19
thetripleclowns

Quote:
Figured this was probably the best spot for a thread like this. Decided to spend 75 bucks in a .01 percent share of Mo Mischief. I know the odds of making profit are pretty slim, but I’m doing it for the fun of it as it seems like it could be a really fun experience.

Just wondering if anyone here has invested in any horses through the site and if you’ve enjoyed the experience to this point

We have 7 horses with MRH. The experience has been great! Joe is in constant contact about our horses. We have done the barn visits and the background visits at Santa Anita. In addition, they gave us box seats and a chance to watch Lane Way at his first race. We also had the chance to interview Joe and Sarge who speak about about MRH if you want more information. But I think it's a great opportunity to get more out of the sport. You won't make a lot of money but it's fun!

thetripleclowns is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 12:42 AM   #20
mikesal57
Veteran

One of our very own has put together an LLC and I am now a proud first time owner of a horse. Matt , named Parsons here , is a great guy. I have dealt and talked with him for a year. He had owned horses in the past and he decided to ask me about going in with him and a few others. At first , I declined , then I said ..what the heck....I took the chance on a first crop filly out of Outwork...
I figured to take a chance with a first crop horse cause you never know.
We are naming her as I write and her training is going well. Matt keeps us updated frequently on her progress. Our trainer is Jordan Blair and he had a good Tampa meet and now hes back home at Kentucky...and yes, the filly is a Kentucky Bred...

Its going to be a fun ride...

here is matts posts when this started..
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...d.php?t=157268

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #21
Jayhawk6191
Having Fun

Quote:
I don’t think that makes it a scheme. That’s public information. But they actually paid 51 percent. Believe they paid 255k and spendthrift paid the rest.

So assuming they sold all the shares on this specific animal which I believe they did, they got back 3 times what they paid

That analysis doesn't make sense. mrh.com paid $255 for their 51% and assuming they sold all (100%) of their (51%) interest, then they raked in $382.5 for a net gain of $127.5 or 50% and not 3x.

Out of that $127.5, I assume mrh.com pays their 51% share of the monthly bills which might run $30/year to mrh.com (excluding extraordinary expenses and $0 income) until the horse is sold or retired. Any income would offset that $30/yr and I have no idea how much a horse will earn

That does not make it a scheme. It looks to me like mrh.com has a gravy train working if they sell all their shares (or close to it). Good for them.
Jayhawk6191 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 08:43 PM   #22
MutuelClerk

I invested in fractional ownership on the harness side. Thestable.ca Been involved nearly a year. Took a risk on five two year olds this year. WE get weekly updates. Occasionally you watch them train via drone in sets. It's fun. Hopefully I get some if not all my $$$ back this summer and fall. Staking is expensive..lol Good luck to all who invested. I'm older, nearing retirement, love racing and this is the only way I ever be involved financially in ownership.
MutuelClerk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2020, 09:16 PM   #23
mikesal57
Veteran

We just saw our 2 yo filly in action.......shes on the outside....no time was taken
but the trainer says shes doing well
this was a camera video, so sorry about the quality

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (183.7 KB, 12 views)
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #24
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutuelClerk View Post
I invested in fractional ownership on the harness side. Thestable.ca Been involved nearly a year. Took a risk on five two year olds this year. WE get weekly updates. Occasionally you watch them train via drone in sets. It's fun. Hopefully I get some if not all my $$$ back this summer and fall. Staking is expensive..lol Good luck to all who invested. I'm older, nearing retirement, love racing and this is the only way I ever be involved financially in ownership.
Good to see someone on here is in with thestable.ca

What horses do you have. Are they just Ontario ones or ones in the states?
Old 05-30-2020, 02:59 PM   #25
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010 View Post
To me you could do it on paper at home, have your stable of horses, follow them and bet accordingly for free. Buy a winner circle picture from the track photographer for $20 dollars when they win.
I did that with a 2yo colt last year at Mohawk. Loved to see him race and ended up going 8 starts with 9 wins and a second.

Also got the whip from when he won his 2 biggest races (so far) in his career, the Metro Pace and the Breeders Crown.

Hopefully when Mohawk starts up and August rolls around, hopefully can see him in August and get his whip from there too.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #26
MutuelClerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHE10 View Post
Good to see someone on here is in with thestable.ca

What horses do you have. Are they just Ontario ones or ones in the states?
I have one 3yoft. Ohio. I have Braemar 2yocp PA. I'malovelylady 2yoft Ohio. Royhill 2yocp Ohio. That's MY Girl 2yoft IN. Walkonthemoon 2yoct Ontario.

What i like most about the Thestable.ca is you can buy and sell among owners. I find lots of people tend to be prisoners of the moment. If a 2yo has a couple bad training sessions the price lowers, you buy then. And when they get back on track you sell higher. I'm much better at this then I ever was at the stock market. The most I have of any horse is three shares. Who do you have HHE10? Good luck to you.....
Old 05-30-2020, 06:49 PM   #27
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
I have one 3yoft. Ohio. I have Braemar 2yocp PA. I'malovelylady 2yoft Ohio. Royhill 2yocp Ohio. That's MY Girl 2yoft IN. Walkonthemoon 2yoct Ontario.

What i like most about the Thestable.ca is you can buy and sell among owners. I find lots of people tend to be prisoners of the moment. If a 2yo has a couple bad training sessions the price lowers, you buy then. And when they get back on track you sell higher. I'm much better at this then I ever was at the stock market. The most I have of any horse is three shares. Who do you have HHE10? Good luck to you.....
Thanks Mutuel, as of right now I don’t own any shares in any horse.

I was back in February when I was going to apply for my owners licence, than COVID-19 came along and didn’t do it. I might ask the next couple of months

How was the process of getting your licences for the states horses. I heard you needed to have a licence in any state your horse races in.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:57 PM   #28
MutuelClerk

Depends on the state. That's why I bought where I did. New York if you have even one share it's 100.00. I'm pretty sure Ohio, PA, Ind if you own less than five shares it's no charge. All three of those states have nice programs and race for good money. Ontario you will need a license because thats where they qualify most of the horses before shipping out. And even though it's only a qualifier you must be licensed. That was the main reason I bought a share of Walkonthemoon. Figured I had a Ontario license and liked him a lot. Why not? So far. This is the most I've spent. I'd like to get some back. You're told at the start you aren't likely to make money. It's about owning, being in the game, enjoying it. That's fine. I want that, but we all have the dream of owning a really nice one. Time will tell. Getting excited though. I hope you get involved.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:44 AM   #29
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
Depends on the state. That's why I bought where I did. New York if you have even one share it's 100.00. I'm pretty sure Ohio, PA, Ind if you own less than five shares it's no charge. All three of those states have nice programs and race for good money. Ontario you will need a license because thats where they qualify most of the horses before shipping out. And even though it's only a qualifier you must be licensed. That was the main reason I bought a share of Walkonthemoon. Figured I had a Ontario license and liked him a lot. Why not? So far. This is the most I've spent. I'd like to get some back. You're told at the start you aren't likely to make money. It's about owning, being in the game, enjoying it. That's fine. I want that, but we all have the dream of owning a really nice one. Time will tell. Getting excited though. I hope you get involved.
Thanks Mutuel, I hope I can soon. Sounds like all of the racetracks are starting up again.

How did you apply for your horse Ontario licence.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:27 AM   #30
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHE10 View Post
Thanks Mutuel, I hope I can soon. Sounds like all of the racetracks are starting up again.

How did you apply for your horse Ontario licence.
Can't you go to your local racetrack and where the race office is ask for a form to fill out? At my local track Grand River Raceway in Elora I can (well not now) go into the race office and either see on the desk or ask the receptionist if you can have a form to fill out for your owners licence

I am pretty sure some of the options are on the form are(for harness):
Owner
Trainer
Driver
Groom
Occupational (security/cleaning/program department etc)
Veterinarian
Authorized Agent
Pari-mutuel
Tradesperson(blacksmiths/feed supply)
Stable Guest
Association Official (department heads)
AGCO Official
https://www.agco.ca/horse-racing/sta...dual-licensing

Hopefully that helps!

Last edited by CheckMark; 05-31-2020 at 09:28 AM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply