Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 01:46 AM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Your idiotic posts aren’t worth a response.
No answer as to why jockeys continue to participate in what is apparently the equivalent of Russian Roulette?
Old 11-03-2019, 02:13 AM   #32
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Tyler Gaffe and War of Will almost caused a disaster in the Kentucky Derby and they were back up to their dangerous tricks in the BC Classic. This time a horse lost it's life. Next time it may be six jockeys. Both should be banned from racing.

DGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 02:17 AM   #33
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGroundhog View Post
Tyler Gaffe and War of Will almost caused a disaster in the Kentucky Derby and they were back up to their dangerous tricks in the BC Classic. This time a horse lost it's life. Next time it may be six jockeys. Both should be banned from racing.
Do you ever post when good stuff happens? Or are you nothing but doom, gloom, and absurd theories?
Old 11-03-2019, 02:43 AM   #34
papillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGroundhog View Post

https://twitter.com/SchwartzNow/stat...24575686152195
fwiw I just watched the race for the first time about 10 minutes ago on Youtube. I didn't know the poor horse died, but it looked pretty clear that WoW kicked the hell out of his leg and had caused a serious injury.

Anywho, that was what I saw and thought as I watched it.
papillon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 02:53 AM   #35
clocker7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by papillon View Post
fwiw I just watched the race for the first time about 10 minutes ago on Youtube. I didn't know the poor horse died, but it looked pretty clear that WoW kicked the hell out of his leg and had caused a serious injury.

Anywho, that was what I saw and thought as I watched it.
Not seeing it.

The first sign of distress can be seen at the 5:07 mark of DGroudhog's first link. Before any contact was possible. MG bore in.

clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 02:58 AM   #36
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker7 View Post
Not seeing it.

The first sign of distress can be seen at the 5:07 mark of DGroudhog's first link. Before any contact was possible. MG bore in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSwttol3MIA
Of course you're not seeing it, because it isn't there. These people are clueless, exposed nerves, that have only one gear...

There was NOBODY near the horse when he broke down...no contact whatsoever...
Old 11-03-2019, 02:59 AM   #37
clocker7
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Of course you're not seeing it, because it isn't there. These people are clueless, exposed nerves, that have only one gear...

There was NOBODY near the horse when he broke down...no contact whatsoever...
Yup
clocker7 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 05:02 AM   #38
depalma113

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
If things actually WERE different. If horses were suddenly DYING when none had died before, you MIGHT have a point.

But you don't.

Why were you cool with horses dying for centuries at racetracks...but now...not so much?

You've been on this board over NINE years...and you're piping up now?

You want to know the dirty little secret, Santa Anita has had it's fewest number of deaths at the track since 2011.

So, why is there suddenly so much outrage over it?

It's simply because the propagandists with their anti horse racing agenda have decided it's time to strike.

You can present everyone with this fact and it means nothing. They ignore it. They do not care.

Add in developers who see valuable land that can be had if California bans racing.

Mix it with the new generation of "journalists" who actually believe their job is to make a difference in society and you have a perfect storm.

A corrupt media, supporting propagandinsts pushed by a land grab.

History is meaningless.
depalma113 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #39
The_Turf_Monster

I said it months ago, it was a terrible decision to leave the BC at Santa Anita. The inevitable happened, and now we're likely to either lose or see California (and subsequently west coast racing) diminished. They could've ran the BC literally anywhere else and not exposed the sport to this threat
The_Turf_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 07:00 AM   #40
iamt

I don't agree with that. While the initial exposure would be less, the argument that lesser horses were being forced to race on an unsafe surface that everyone knew was dangerous and the BC avoided sounds even more damning.

Unfortunately racing is a sport where accidents happen, and the standard Santa Anita is being held to is perfection. Until that changes any death will be used to create more headlines.
iamt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 08:12 AM   #41
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post
You want to know the dirty little secret, Santa Anita has had it's fewest number of deaths at the track since 2011.

It's simply because the propagandists with their anti horse racing agenda have decided it's time to strike.

You can present everyone with this fact and it means nothing. They ignore it. They do not care.

Add in developers who see valuable land that can be had if California bans racing.

Mix it with the new generation of "journalists" who actually believe their job is to make a difference in society and you have a perfect storm.

History is meaningless.
Could you provide a link to that data? I found a Paulick Report article from 2012 that said 12 horses died at Santa Anita, and you're claiming it was more than 36. There's a 2017 LA Times article saying there were 16 deaths in the winter meet, which is also a lot less than 36. Where are you getting your numbers?
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 08:13 AM   #42
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by depalma113 View Post

History is meaningless.
That's not true. The statistics used to support that talking point include deaths from disease, which are of course down because our short fields mean a smaller horse population.

The 30 deaths this winter ON THE TRACK were a high in recent years.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-03-2019, 08:15 AM   #43
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamt View Post
I don't agree with that. While the initial exposure would be less, the argument that lesser horses were being forced to race on an unsafe surface that everyone knew was dangerous and the BC avoided sounds even more damning.

Unfortunately racing is a sport where accidents happen, and the standard Santa Anita is being held to is perfection. Until that changes any death will be used to create more headlines.
That's a bad argument. If the BC had been moved, cancelling Santa Anita for a period of time again would have been an option. They couldn't do that with the BC there no matter how unsafe the dirt surface is.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:17 AM   #44
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocker7 View Post
I used to post at several racing sites when the internet got a critical mass going. Two in particular. Lots of traffic each.

Trouble was, the site owners allowed animal rights advocates and fake horse racing "fans" to hammer them constantly with negative articles and comments. It got so demoralizing that the regulars drifted away. During that time I occasionally opined to set up separate subtopics so that the issue could be discussed without having so much in-your-face negativity.

One has been gone for years. The other (pedigreequery) rarely gets posts anymore.

Again, I recommend a separate subsection, and banishment for those who post outside of it.

Just trying to be helpful and fair.
That isn't going to this go away you know.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat View Post
Man your just burying yourself deeper and deeper. The circus is still alive and well in America. Maybe you thought Ringling Bros. was the only one.
And horse racing will continue in Kentucky long after California bans it.