Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:17 AM   #511
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP
Timeform US making a big mistake from what I can see not having an IE browser capability, with Xbox One/360 (and I am sure future systems like it) and Xbox Smartglass its the ideal platform for handicapping from your living room on your big screen. The ability to quickly scroll from horse to horse, split the screen in two and watch a replay, to having a live odds line in another snapped window, its tailor made for where I would think they want to go, which is something not even contemplated by the DRF as of yet from their new product.

Maybe Google is closer to having this capability, but right now I think Windows is far ahead of the game in terms of vision, and this from someone who was downright sickened by Windows 8 OS, but now I am getting it.
How can it be such a huge mistake? Consider the average age of horseplayers and I bet less than 2% have an xbox
Old 12-16-2013, 07:24 AM   #512
sammy the sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
How can it be such a huge mistake? Consider the average age of horseplayers and I bet less than 2% have an xbox
But I would bet over 30% have IE...just saying...

and if you want a future....younger generations need to get involved...and McD's is now trying hard....with the new ebox give away
Old 12-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #513
Exotic1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Big winner at BHP today.
I have to start reading the blog before the races - not afterward. Incredible role these guys are on.
Exotic1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #514
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage

and if you want a future....younger generations need to get involved...and McD's is now trying hard....with the new ebox give away
I know nothing of the XBox, but I know that while IE may have 30% users (no idea the real number), anyone can use another browser for free in about five minutes. Even if you only use it for on application like TFUS.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #515
Big Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I know nothing of the XBox,
Probably a good thing.

I've kept my PS3 hidden away the last 2 years. Way too addictive as a time waster.
Big Sal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #516
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Oh boy....

Xbox is just the conduit, its irreverent, lets call it the grey box whatever you want.

The PC is about to be dead. What people are going to have is a media center that interacts between your devices (Tablets, Phones, etc).

The ability to to multi task between your television station or website stream (say TVG), your pp's- TimeformUS in this case, and say your betting platform would be a use.

For example, say I am watching a race replay on my television though Timeform, I have TVG play in window in the corner of my TV, I snap to have a side window on a portion of the screen to bring in the interactive exacta combination calculator that DRF just introduced, on my tablet up pops the chart from the race I am watching on the Television (or maybe you set it to show the PP for the horse, whatever its totally custom).

I know to those who are much older cool features like this probably wont matter but if you are looking for ways to grow the game the younger generation not only wants it they are going to expect it.

Here is another feature, say I am watching a race from Aqueduct and I see a horse with a freakishly bad trip, I say "Xbox record last 2 minutes" and get the video on file, I then load this video with a Tag to the horses name in my Timeform PP, so when the horse is entered I could get a message with a link to the video clip I created.

Players want tools, just pointing out some things I see tech can do to improve the game.

Last edited by GMB@BP; 12-16-2013 at 09:05 PM.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 09:44 PM   #517
Maximillion

Quote:
Oh boy....

Xbox is just the conduit, its irreverent, lets call it the grey box whatever you want.

The PC is about to be dead. What people are going to have is a media center that interacts between your devices (Tablets, Phones, etc).

The ability to to multi task between your television station or website stream (say TVG), your pp's- TimeformUS in this case, and say your betting platform would be a use.

For example, say I am watching a race replay on my television though Timeform, I have TVG play in window in the corner of my TV, I snap to have a side window on a portion of the screen to bring in the interactive exacta combination calculator that DRF just introduced, on my tablet up pops the chart from the race I am watching on the Television (or maybe you set it to show the PP for the horse, whatever its totally custom).

I know to those who are much older cool features like this probably wont matter but if you are looking for ways to grow the game the younger generation not only wants it they are going to expect it.

Here is another feature, say I am watching a race from Aqueduct and I see a horse with a freakishly bad trip, I say "Xbox record last 2 minutes" and get the video on file, I then load this video with a Tag to the horses name in my Timeform PP, so when the horse is entered I could get a message with a link to the video clip I created.

Players want tools, just pointing out some things I see tech can do to improve the game.
Not sure where you are at age wise,but Im still in my forties and I think that what you are describing would almost seem like "information overload"....especially to a newcomer to the game.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 PM   #518
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
Not sure where you are at age wise,but Im still in my forties and I think that what you are describing would almost seem like "information overload"....especially to a newcomer to the game.
Exactly right for the age group that are horseplayers.

GMB, I get your point. I am very familiar with the tech. I have two Apple TV units and a couple of Roku's in the house. I follow the tech and have been trying to find an xbox1. I'll get one eventually.

I just think Whizz is right. There are no new players coming and the current players aren't buying xbox1’s
Old 12-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #519
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximillion
I agree with what Maximillion has stated. And I know, too, that no one here could have greater tech knowledge than Ralph.

GMB, what concerns me more. I'm sorry, but you really are taking a lot for granted with your opinion of those "who are older", those who still carry this sport. Not all of us are near death, not by any stretch.

Your XBox theory is interesting, but it falls short. I don't know too many XBox players that have the level of disposable income that it takes to be successful in this game. I could well be wrong but I'm not convinced, given your vision, that you and your demographic, alone, are going to bring the game back to prominence, while others are cashing their death benefit policies.

One can have all the electronics on the market in their living room. Big flat screen tv, Ipad, XBox, etc, etc, no real investment here. No money spent to speak of.

If you don't have--in bank accounts, a sizable sum that is not designated for living expenses, college funds, health insurance, 401K, etc, you're not going to make a difference. You're not the individuals that are going to save this game. (Maybe you didn't catch Whiffle's post.)

Its going to take those with disposable income to carry your demographic--just as we've been doing. This is common sense, and simple economics. For survival, this will sport will need a wide range of those that "have been" and those "want to be". JMHO.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-16-2013, 11:35 PM   #520
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
I agree with what Maximillion has stated. And I know, too, that no one here could have greater tech knowledge than Ralph.

GMB, what concerns me more. I'm sorry, but you really are taking a lot for granted with your opinion of those "who are older", those who still carry this sport. Not all of us are near death, not by any stretch.

Your XBox theory is interesting, but it falls short. I don't know too many XBox players that have the level of disposable income that it takes to be successful in this game. I could well be wrong but I'm not convinced, given your vision, that you and your demographic, alone, are going to bring the game back to prominence, while others are cashing their death benefit policies.

One can have all the electronics on the market in their living room. Big flat screen tv, Ipad, XBox, etc, etc, no real investment here. No money spent to speak of.

If you don't have--in bank accounts, a sizable sum that is not designated for living expenses, college funds, health insurance, 401K, etc, you're not going to make a difference. You're not the individuals that are going to save this game. (Maybe you didn't catch Whiffle's post.)

Its going to take those with disposable income to carry your demographic--just as we've been doing. This is common sense, and simple economics. For survival, this will sport will need a wide range of those that "have been" and those "want to be". JMHO.
You need to attract fans at a younger age so that they are interested when they get more disposable income. Trying to attract new players at 50+ is a recipe for disaster for this game, its clearly not working IMO and thats the way the sport is marketed for the most part.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 AM   #521
Cratos

Quote:
You need to attract fans at a younger age so that they are interested when they get more disposable income. Trying to attract new players at 50+ is a recipe for disaster for this game, its clearly not working IMO and thats the way the sport is marketed for the most part.
I agree with you. The "Applehead" campaign have worked quite well for Apple and fanasty football is working well in keeping young fan interest in the NFL.

Horseracing is a very tough game to understand and if you can get the learning effort started early I believe you are correct in saying racing will gain a fan who will still be there when his/her income becomes more disposable.

"Science is correct; even if you don't believe it" - Neil deGrasse Tyson
Cratos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 12:47 AM   #522
Grits

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I didn't say anything about "attracting" new players at 50. But, I assure you, you don't want to continue to alienate those that are in the building or online that do have the income level needed to be viable in the game. While at the same time, currently, propping it up. Keep in mind, these "older gentlemen", here, that you're directly speaking of -- they're not complaining about takeout for their health.

Now as far as who we're targeting? I don't agree with you, as this has not been the case for quite some time. Do you watch Keeneland promos for their race meets, or promos for the Derby? Let me know when you see some 50 year olds in those. Every person I'm seeing doesn't look a day over 30. At Keeneland the majority look to be pulled from the U.K. campus. They're beer drinkers, and $2. bettors, which is fine. We all have a beginning. Hopefully, they'll decide, "hey, I like this; I like it a lot". Apply themselves, learn to handicap and hang around a few decades. Again, this is simple economics.

Last edited by Grits; 12-17-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 12:59 AM   #523
RXB

Quote:
Oh boy....

Desktops are a long way from dead. Larger display, superior computing power, longer lifespan, security considerations, ergonomic advantages. Tower versions are hurting but all-in-one's are selling okay. And of course, an all-in-one could function nicely as a media centre while simultaneously being a fine computer.

You have some interesting ideas but first things first. What percentage of users would prefer that TFUS' modestly staffed tech department spends its time right now making their product more compatible with Xbox as opposed to improving the data, improving the display of the data, making it available in database-friendly format, etc., etc.?
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #524
RXB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy the sage
I read not long ago that IE's share is almost exactly 30% of total browser usage, but declining.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #525
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXB
Desktops are a long way from dead. Larger display, superior computing power, longer lifespan, security considerations, ergonomic advantages. Tower versions are hurting but all-in-one's are selling okay. And of course, an all-in-one could function nicely as a media centre while simultaneously being a fine computer.

You have some interesting ideas but first things first. What percentage of users would prefer that TFUS' modestly staffed tech department spends its time right now making their product more compatible with Xbox as opposed to improving the data, improving the display of the data, making it available in database-friendly format, etc., etc.?
I dont know how hard any of it would be, I could execute 1/2 of what I said just with the supported browser on my own with a few tricks (and I still may be able to with a Chrome app if Microsoft does not block it).

This is coming, you can just see it with the new tech. It wont be the "thats cool" in the future, its going to be the expectation. The entire experience should be interactive, I can think of another 20 idea's for DRF that could integrate their information (news, PP's, etc) into the future platforms. We are much closer to Minority Report type tech than people realize.

I think in 5 years 5% of the household population will use PC's for their web browsing and other computer related needs.

Cloud services will render the hard drive useless, all media will be available on all of your platforms, we are only at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to mobile media.

Right now there is not a lot of incentive for the tracks to really think out of the box as people have said the core customer is usually older and could care less about this stuff but the core customer in the future will be built on a world of tech and social/mobile media and WILL care about having value for their dollar (other than losing 20% to the takeout) and this value will be tied to the entire experience which will most definitely involve the newest forms of media.

I fully expect racing to grasp this as the train has rolled on by. I picked this thread as a sounding board more than an saying Timeform is the only one to consider stuff like this.

Tags
quick, timeform adjustment