Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 52 votes, 4.87 average.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #451
RXB

They're changing horses' speed figures in the PP lines if it carries more/less weight today??

http://timeformusblog.com/2013/11/22...imeformus-pps/

I don't agree with this at all.
RXB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #452
JustRalph
Just another Facist

I'm a little skeptical of weight changes also......but I guess time will tell on whether it works.

From the site

"Our figures are adjusted for the weight he’s carrying today vs the weight he previously carried, and the figure is increased from 100 to 103 because today he is carrying less weight. This calculation will apply to all races in the horse’s PPs, comparing weight today vs. weight carried in prior races. Disagree on the role of weight? You can always check the charts to see how the speed figure looked without factoring in today’s weight carried."
Old 11-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #453
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

In the old Pace Figures, I always turned on the weight and age adjustments.
If CJ is using it, you can bet he has tested it out.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #454
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
I'm a little skeptical of weight changes also......but I guess time will tell on whether it works.

From the site

"Our figures are adjusted for the weight he’s carrying today vs the weight he previously carried, and the figure is increased from 100 to 103 because today he is carrying less weight. This calculation will apply to all races in the horse’s PPs, comparing weight today vs. weight carried in prior races. Disagree on the role of weight? You can always check the charts to see how the speed figure looked without factoring in today’s weight carried."
The adjustments are small to be honest, and yes they have been tested and the figures are better with them than without. Also, some changes are ignored if they are at the lower end of the scale.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #455
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Age adjustments? I looked into this at one time but didn't get much out of it. Care to share how they are made?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #456
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Age adjustments? I looked into this at one time but didn't get much out of it. Care to share how they are made?
There are no age adjustments built into TimeformUS figures. Timeform actually does this like I did at PaceFigures, though in a different way, but we remove that part of the figure for shippers from Europe. Timeform actually uses "weight for age" and projects the numbers to what the horse will run when it peaks at an older age.

We all know horses improve as they get older (most of the time). So the age adjustment just built this part into the figures. Beyer recommended that horses improve 1 to 1.5 points per month until the reach about 4. I used the horse's actual birth month, not the 4yo birthday, as the cutoff for improvement.

I didn't use the above, 1 to 1.5, I used 0.75 to be conservative. So, if a horse ran a 70 as a 2yo, then went to the shelf, the figure would show up 7.5 points higher if the horse returned 10 months later. This makes it easier to compare younger horses coming off of layoffs, and it also helped isolate natural improvement from maturation from other reasons for improvement.

Of course all horses are different. Some are precocious and don't improve much at all, and some improve more. This adjustment made both types easier to identify.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #457
Charli125

Quote:
Age adjustments are simple Ralph. The older you get, the bigger the font gets!

Having much faith in CJ's work, I'll be keeping a close eye with the changes. I'm confident that TimeForm is at least the most forward thinking of PP providers I've ever seen.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #458
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli125
Age adjustments are simple Ralph. The older you get, the bigger the font gets!
Busting my balls about my jcapper thread, is a low blow to us visually impaired older types But I guess I had it coming.......

CJ, thanks for the info.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #459
SuitedAces
ClassPars

Video Replays

Please define "iPad friendly video replays". Christmas is coming. What should I ask Santa for? Do I need an iPad to get the video replays? What about a windows tablet? Will a desktop mac product work? What about a windows desktop? Santa has to go shopping.

David
SuitedAces is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #460
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitedAces
Please define "iPad friendly video replays". Christmas is coming. What should I ask Santa for? Do I need an iPad to get the video replays? What about a windows tablet? Will a desktop mac product work? What about a windows desktop? Santa has to go shopping.

David
I'll certainly ask and get back to you.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #461
JustRalph
Just another Facist

It usually means videos that don't need flash to play

iPads don't do flash
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 PM   #462
lamboguy

on the new prior result feature it shows every horse in the prior races, how many races does it go back, and does it show the names of all the trainers in those races?
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 10:51 PM   #463
Vigorish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'll certainly ask and get back to you.
I just started using TimeFormUS and really liked using your product as an adjunct to other past performance products. However, the 2X price hike was too much to endure. The main value for me was pace projector and speed figures (which are much more nuanced than BSF's). My hope was that you would have kept the basic version and added the bells and whistles to your planned deluxe version, which would have carried a higher price tag.

Admittedly, the new monthly rate isn't that high. However, I only used the product sporadically and liked the option of paying $1.50 for one card. I just wrote TimeFormUS and thought of a some improvements that might 'win me over.' One option that I would really love is speed figures that also account for ground loss. Also, I don't mind factoring weight into your speed figure. I like the idea of being able to tweak the speed figure based on individual preference (e.g. turning ground loss or weights off and on).

Thank you,

Jeffrey
Vigorish is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #464
GMB@BP

The problem with factoring in ground loss is its not nearly as mechanical as speed figures because unlike pace which has a direct correlation to final time, ground loss does not, IMO. I have not seen any statistical study that shows that, its very subjective.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2013, 11:36 AM   #465
GMB@BP

Ok, I have lots of questions, suppose they should go to Mark.

1. If you buy a card and want to enter a race or horse note so that it shows up in future charts (or I am hoping into the actual PP like Formulator/Bris does) how do you go about this? Where do you enter the note for he race that was just run?

2. Is there a way to access charts for race and horse notes in a relative quick order after the race is run, thats the point of taking notes, at least to me?

3. Do you have to watch a race to be able to enter a note on a horse so it appears in the chart? Could I be watching say the second at Belmont and see a horse with an impossible trip and enter that into my data to show up in future charts?

I am not going to get into future adds to the program until they are shown, no point in that.

Hopefully from a pricing standpoint you may offer discounts on blocks of PP purchases say in 100, 200 etc type bundles.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Tags
quick, timeform adjustment