Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #46
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snag
Light, did you change your mind about Libby wanting to talk about what you think he knows.

Come on, make up your mind.
Snag

You're not following.If Libby started doing time for a crime he was ordered to commit by Cheney ,you can take 1-5 he'd start spilling some beans.Libby's defense team hardly presented a defense in court. They knew the potential bean spiller would be pardoned.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #47
delayjf

Are you saying that Cheney told him to commit perjury and obstruct justice?

So Joe Wilson rights a piece critical of pre-war intelligence. Do you really think that outing Valerie is going to shut him up or hurt him in anyway? The idea that it was done for revenge to me is stupid. They would have been better of telling the IRS to audit them. All it would do is create an enemy who would become even more vocal.

Last edited by delayjf; 07-03-2007 at 04:42 PM.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #48
TurfRuler

What has happened is that Bush is (surreal) the warden in Cool Hand Luke and he is showing how the American people don't understand his communication as in "what we have here is a failure to communicate". What is excessive to this President is not excessive for the number of people he refused to pardon on death row while governor of Texas, including a mental case and a women. He even mimiced her plea for a pardon, remember.
TurfRuler is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2007, 07:01 PM   #49
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfRuler
What is excessive to this President is not excessive for the number of people he refused to pardon on death row while governor of Texas, including a mental case and a women. He even mimiced her plea for a pardon, remember.
I thought that was one of Bush's good qualities.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #50
Secretariat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurfRuler
What is excessive to this President is not excessive for the number of people he refused to pardon on death row while governor of Texas, including a mental case and a women. He even mimiced her plea for a pardon, remember.
I find amazing that GW found time during his barbecue with Putin to commute Libby's sentence without zero jail time, but had NO time to pardon the two border agents, one of who was beaten to a pulp in prison. They're serving eleven years and twelve years respectively for doing their job.

Let's see. GW's had no time to review the case of these two unfortunate guards in prison, but doesn't even need to review the record for Libby. Yes, he protects his own. Take the time to review his inaction on the prison guard situation with loads of conservatives criticizing hiim instead of the blind march in step as evidenced here. Why was Libby pardoned before these guys who ARE in prison, and not a country club one that Libby was slated to attend?

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/M...e_border_guard

"The wife of jailed border patrol agent Ignacio Ramos had been told by her husband how a group of Hispanic inmates had beaten him bloody a few days earlier. The inmates had watched “America’s Most Wanted” on TV which featured a sympathetic host, John Walsh, telling the tale of the two border patrol agents who shot a low-life drug smuggler in the butt and how those agents wound up with long jail sentences while the drug smuggler was given total immunity and a promise of a few million bucks down the road for his sore fanny. "

http://www.thepiratescove.us/?p=3454

"(CNS News)Even before the beating occurred, some lawmakers said they feared for the safety of the two men in prison.

"The president said he would give the situation with the border agents a sober look," Rep. Walter Jones (R-N.C.) told Cybercast News Service Tuesday. "I hope he does so as quickly as possible. Their lives are in danger."

Bush said he would consider pardoning the two agents after he reviewed the case. However, there is growing impatience with some Republican House members that were openly critical of a president of their own party.

"I'm so upset with this White House, I don't know what to do," Jones said. "The president needs to move on this pardon, particularly since the assault on agent Ramos." "

"We also believe that the people who are working to secure that border themselves obey the law. And in a court of law, these two agents were convicted on 11 of 12 counts by a jury of their peers after a lengthy trial at which they did have the opportunity to make their case," - Tony Snow when asked why President Bush had not pardoned the border guards

"Two brave Border Patrol agents trying to enforce the president's nonsensical border policy ending up being sent to prison, while an illegal alien drug smuggler is given immunity and walks free," Republican Congressman Rohrabacher said.

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/P..._border_guards

by Phyllis Schafly

President George W. Bush pardoned 16 criminals including five drug dealers at Christmastime, but so far has refused to pardon the two U.S. Border Patrol agents who were trying to defend Americans against drug smugglers. It makes us wonder which side the self-proclaimed "compassionate" president is on.

The White House and the U.S. Department of Justice are stonewalling requests for a presidential pardon from 55 members of Congress and U.S. citizens who have sent at least 160,000 petitions and 15,000 faxes. When the Bush administration deigns to respond at all, the official line is that the Border Patrol agents got a fair trial."
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #51
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

I'm not keen on the imprisioned Border Guard situation.

As for the need for Bush to review Scotter Libby's case, why? Gee Sec, even you supposedly know everything about that case - the liberal media told you so, and your liberal blogs all talked together for MONTHS about this. They even told you that it was Carl Rove that did it to - but hey, who cares about accuracy. Must Get Bush! Must Get Cheney! Must Get Rove! Only 18 months left to impeach him before he leaves office at the end of his term.

Gee, you guys and the media only helped skuttle the war effort - arguing for fewer troops early, wanting them home within the first year of action, giving the enemy full reason to not give up because they weren't facing a united foe, willing to do everything it took, but intead try to pull back troops, cut off funding, etc. You guys sure didn't like him before. He obviously doesn't care about that. I would expect him to do lots of things you don't like before he's gone. Even though he has his reasons, they'll never agree with your mindsets.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #52
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 'StatMan'
Gee, you guys and the media only helped skuttle the war effort -
Read Woodward (State of Denial): the clowns in Defense Department and the White House were incompetent in doing anything right long before the media made the public aware of anything.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:32 PM   #53
lsbets

Does anyone buy Sec's outrage as he quotes Phyllis Shaffly?
lsbets is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2007, 12:19 AM   #54
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
Are you saying that Cheney told him to commit perjury and obstruct justice?
Obviously

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf
So Joe Wilson rights a piece critical of pre-war intelligence. Do you really think that outing Valerie is going to shut him up or hurt him in anyway? The idea that it was done for revenge to me is stupid. They would have been better of telling the IRS to audit them. All it would do is create an enemy who would become even more vocal.
Well for once I agree with you. The leak was a stupid thing for the WH to do. But this has been one of their attitudes to internal opposition:To undermine who they consider a threat to current policy.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2007, 01:17 AM   #55
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbets
Does anyone buy Sec's outrage as he quotes Phyllis Shaffly?
Not one single bit. I believe he is simply mimicking whatever the DNC flavor of the day told him to mimic via email.

Sorry Sec, but that's what I believe.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-04-2007, 01:36 AM   #56
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 'StatMan'
I'm not keen on the imprisioned Border Guard situation.
They got caught trying to cover up what they did. The totality of the circumstances warrants them losing their jobs.........but probably not going to prison.......although once they started the cover up they pushed the envelope and the U.S. Attorney who should be fired for a giving a drug dealer immunity against them............ they did not act appropriately as officers and they tried to hide it........and they pushed it........ I have read tons of stuff on this case...........and as a former Police officer, they screwed up big time. But I dont' think they should have gone to prison. I suspect they will sit there until Jan 2009...........
Old 07-04-2007, 11:55 AM   #57
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Here's the deal...the dems are outraged. What else is new?

Biden is hollaring like a stuck pig this morning, until CNN played a quote of him back during the Clinton impechment qbout how he had paid a high enough penalty and we should not pursue this thing in the Senate. Hmmmm.

And Hillary - screaming like the WWotW again,about how we have to respect the laws, yet last week, she was ready to forgive 20 million people who broke the law to get here illegally, and ditto Barry Hussein Obama, descendent of slave ownwers.

Clinton admittedly lied and served no time, but that is somehow alright, huh Sec? With Libby, the fact is he never obstructed justice. The one who outed Valerie Plame was known by the prosecutor week one of the investigation. Libby claims he did not recall certain events, and was deemed a liar, but Bill and Hill used this defense a record number of time during thier last criminal occupation of the White House.

But I agree, Bush has focused on the wrong minor things and ignored real issues. I also agree that the left is just hopping on that bandwagon late in order to further thier politcal agenda.

I can see why the left is so ornery, though....dumbest president in the history of the USA and the dem controlled governemnt can't do a thing still. He call the shots and determines thier actions, like mindless puppets, and their approval ratings are drawfed by his. Talk about a hollow victory!

They have been fishing for some kind of conviction so long, and all they got was this little perch, and they couldn't land him on the dock - he got away! With their worm. Those dancing dems, very entertaining lot.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:01 PM   #58
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
nd Hillary - screaming like the WWotW again
Perhaps my brain is on too much of a holiday. What's WWotW?
Old 07-04-2007, 01:04 PM   #59
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Wicked Witch of the West
Old 07-04-2007, 01:37 PM   #60
Secretariat

Tom states “Libby never obstructed justice.” Sorry Tom – a jury disagreed with you. He was convicted.

Steve “StatMan” states “I'm not keen on the imprisioned Border Guard situation.” Pretty much says it all. Blind eye to two guys doing eleven and twelve years respectively for trying to do their job but you’re gung ho to release a convicted felon who is the nubmer one guy to the WH. Unbeleivable. A jury got Libby, and a Bush appointed judge and Bush’s justice department. There wasn’t a dem involved in the proceedings.

As to Steve the Stat Man’s contention the media and dem;s argued for fewer troops early, you need to go back and read Rumsfeld’s statements against the advice of General Shinseki for “increased troop levels”.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/04/...a/military.php

“Fifth retired general calls for Rumsfeld's resignation”

As to Isbets questioning my reference to Schafly, I do so because it indicates just how out of touch this guy is even with the staunchest of conservatives. If I put up a Michael Moore quote I’m sure you’d give that more credence.

And to PA, I didn’t know Phyllis Schafly and Glen Beck were part of the DNC.

Yes, even right wing nutcase Glen Beck gets it in the Libby commutation and eventual pardon.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP.../03/gb.01.html

From his 07/03/07 transcipt show:

“But more to the point, Scooter Libby may have lived his life in Washington and the life of a Washington elite. But he committed a lowly crime, lying like a kid, blaming his dog for eating his homework.

Libby was tried for his crime. And a jury of his peers said he should go and do the time. But his life of privilege and entitlement got him a real-life "get out of jail free" card.

After President Bush made his decision behind the closed doors of the Oval Office, he issued this following statement, quote, "I respect the jury`s verdict. But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive." Really? Wow, that`s great.

Let me ask you this, Mr. President. If I or any other American had been given the same sentence for the same crime, would you have been so quick to get out a big presidential eraser and erase my jail time? I don`t think so.

And by the way, if you truly understand what an excessive sentence is, you should be taking a look at that 11-year prison term handed out for our border agents Ramos and Compean. Oh, wait -- no, hang on. You still refuse to get involved in those cases.

By undermining the judicial process, you have confirmed our worst fears about the beltway boys club yet again. The -- it`s really all about who you know. That`s what gets you off the hook for what you did. “

….

BECK: You know, I have to tell you. I am -- I`m -- I`m so disillusioned with really -- quite honestly, a lot of my own fellow Americans and fellow conservatives who were screaming that it doesn`t matter.

BECK: I don`t care. I don`t care. I mean, Mike, do you think the average person cares? When these politicians say things like that, do you think they care?

I don`t care if the Clinton administration was setting everybody on fire. It was wrong then; it`s wrong now. Stop trying to say that the other side did it, so what`s the big deal?

As to the Border Guards Jr references, here are just a few quotes from this board when it emerged and GW had no time to review that one - hypocrite:

“Persecuted because they were doing their F***ing jobs -- two U.S. Border agents who were convicted and sentenced to 11 and 12 year prison terms for shooting a Mexican drug smuggler who had crossed our border illegally with nearly 740lbs. of marijuana and physically assaulted one of the agents. – Bala”

“God help this country when a Mexican drug runner, caught red-handed with hundreds of kilos of drugs, is found to have a better standing before the law than those we employee to enforce the laws of the country – DjofSD”

“I still have faith that Bush will do the right thing. I'm guessing that with everything going on he really has not had a chance to review the case. – delayjf”

“Bush will not da anything until it can benefit HIM.
He has been contacted many times by numerous elected officals and soi far has not had the decency to acknowledge their comments, let alon get off his fat ass and do something about it.

So when the dipstick talked about freeing up agent to go after drug smugglers Tuesday, it became clear to me this boy needs agood bitch-slippin's to knock some sense into that head full of mush of his.

This guy is either the dumbest jerk around of the coldest SOB. He has less of a clue than Charlie McCarthy. – Tom”

“The Bush admin wants them dead. – kenwoodallpromos”

“Bush has his stooge Tony Snow lying thorugh his teeth - just like the fat guy with the horn-rimmed glasses that lied for Saddam. the attorney general is lying, and he is a Bush appointee, as is the judge. Three jurors have come forward and said they were coerced for a verditct. Medical evidence backs the story of the two agents- the scumbag drug dealer was not shot in the back.
This is the Bush Doctrine - back drug dealers over law enforcement. Next time you go to the track, and stand up for the National Anthem, think about these two guys. And then sit back down. Great country.....debatable. – Tom”

“RAMOS AND COMPEAN HAVE BEEN POLITICAL PRISONERS OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT FOR 23 DAYS! – Big mack”
Secretariat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply