Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:20 PM   #91
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
If you ever want to make a big show bet, make sure its on Russell Baze at GG. He can crash into horses and they won't take him down. Good to know.

Hilarious. If that was a 25/1 ridden by Joe Blow winner, that would have been a 50-50 DQ but with Russell up at 2/5 AND with $100,000 or so to show, he stays up.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2015, 01:30 AM   #92
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD4ME

Hilarious. If that was a 25/1 ridden by Joe Blow winner, that would have been a 50-50 DQ but with Russell up at 2/5 AND with $100,000 or so to show, he stays up.
You're a 100% correct. If Russel was on the rail on the 2-5 and he was the guy who got checked back and the winner was a bomb with Joe Blow, it 100% comes down without question, especially after the hall of famer gets on the phone and pleads his case, after all, he's Russell Baze, why would they doubt him if he said the guy almost put him over the fence?

100 out of 100 Joe Blow riding for John Doe comes down for the same exact thing.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #93
Stillriledup
Veteran

Nice leave up at Santa Anita in the 3rd.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #94
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

I'm not sure where I side on races like R9 at SA today. The winner (the 3) clearly fouled the 2, who was still trying but probably not going to be a factor late. He just bulled him out of the way so he had a rail run. The runner up was not affected, but it is fair that he gets beat by a rider that essentially cheated?

The guy (don't even know who it was) should definitely get days and a hefty fine, but is it fair to punish those that bet the runner up? Those that bet the winner? Tough call IMO.

Last edited by cj; 01-24-2015 at 08:05 PM.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2015, 09:47 PM   #95
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I'm not sure where I side on races like R9 at SA today. The winner (the 3) clearly fouled the 2, who was still trying but probably not going to be a factor late. He just bulled him out of the way so he had a rail run. The runner up was not affected, but it is fair that he gets beat by a rider that essentially cheated?

The guy (don't even know who it was) should definitely get days and a hefty fine, but is it fair to punish those that bet the runner up? Those that bet the winner? Tough call IMO.
Couldn't agree more. I thought exactly the same thing. A DQ to out of the super would have been too harsh a punishment, especially for the innocent bettors. But, you can't ride like that, jocks do that all the time, they just take the hole if they think the horse they're passing is not keeping up.

This is a classic case of leave the result but suspend the jock.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #96
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Couldn't agree more. I thought exactly the same thing. A DQ to out of the super would have been too harsh a punishment, especially for the innocent bettors. But, you can't ride like that, jocks do that all the time, they just take the hole if they think the horse they're passing is not keeping up.

This is a classic case of leave the result but suspend the jock.
But is it fair to those that bet Boozer? The winner basically cheated to get an edge. If he doesn't cheat, those bettors cash.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:49 PM   #97
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
But is it fair to those that bet Boozer? The winner basically cheated to get an edge. If he doesn't cheat, those bettors cash.
I think the problem is that if they could have placed the winner 2nd, they might have. As far as him not cheating and they cash, maybe if the winner waited a few tenths longer, he gets out clean and still wins...so, they don't win unless he just stands up on his horse and never gets thru. He might still have gotten thru had he waited a smidge longer.

You have a point though.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:07 PM   #98
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
I think the tougher choice is where to place the violator.
Is it fair to place that one behind the horse fouled even though the one fouled was not going to finish in the exotics?
So what do we do? Tradition and of course the rules have always followed the idea that the offending horse is placed behind the offended.
This is where subjective viewpoints on the part of the Stewards come into play. And as we have seen, this has been a major bone of contention here and on other threads. And I'm convinced in thousands of discussions going back to the beginning of the days of video replays.

Last edited by thespaah; 01-24-2015 at 11:09 PM.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-24-2015, 11:34 PM   #99
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

I looked at it several times. The Pan shot makes it look pretty bad. The head on not as bad. My problem is the contact could...could have caused heels to clip . THAT is where I go off the rails on this kind of race riding.
In this instance, if I were king of the racing rules for a day, I would not change the placings. However, Mr Baze would be getting a "you are hereby" letter from me to have a "Come to Jesus Meeting and don't forget your checkbook"....
I would let him know that while I somewhat admire his courage, that kind of thing will not be tolerated. That he could have caused a serious accident causing serious injury to himself, his mount and/or his fellow rider and or his mount. I would then inform Mr Baze that he owed me and the State of California One Thousand Dollars..
"See the clerk on your way out.".
Old 01-25-2015, 10:51 AM   #100
banacek

If there was any cheating going on Patriots Rule would have won instead of coming 3rd

That was a tough one to leave up, but it is nice to see the BC Derby winner running so well in California.
Your little winning streak
banacek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2015, 03:21 PM   #101
Stillriledup
Veteran

inquiry AND an objection at Aqu race 6? What'd i miss?
Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #102
Al Gobbi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj

https://twitter.com/Scott_Hazelton/s...41865590587393

been talked about on twitter for about the past 1/2 hour with a lot of opinions.
Al Gobbi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2015, 04:25 PM   #103
Valuist

Sunday GP race 8

I'm a bit biased; I had a ticket on 55-1 shot Chiding. Really thought the 6 should've come down. Bulled his way through late. Don't get a chance to cash too many tickets on 50-1 shots. A 50-1 shot who's dam was a Grade 2 winner. Ironically 2 of the firsters in that race were out of dams who won the Chilukki Stakes at CD.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-25-2015, 07:35 PM   #104
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Gobbi
https://twitter.com/Scott_Hazelton/s...41865590587393

been talked about on twitter for about the past 1/2 hour with a lot of opinions.
3 days for that? Wow, imagine Bejarano will have a few things to discuss with Baze.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:37 PM   #105
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
3 days for that? Wow, imagine Bejarano will have a few things to discuss with Baze.
Julie Krone would have belted him in the mouth.....
No kidding I think she dropped Art Madrid with a one punch after a race at Meadowlands. could have been another rider. But I do remember her willingness to stand up for herself.
Anyway, I don't know if you read my earlier post where I laid out a scenario of me being the go to rules maker guy.....I thought Baze would be fined....I figured $1k...Three days on the pine?.....Damn....Oh well. He won't be doing the old bump and run anymore.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: