Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #1
Stillriledup
Veteran

Paulownia, 500k "yearling"?

Question.

This filly Paulownia (Race 5 today at Saratoga) was purchased according to DRF for 510,000 in November of 2011. She was foaled in April of 2011....so, that means she was 7 or 8 months old when sold for half a million?

Am i reading that correctly?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

You got everything right except she was sold as a "weanling," not a yearling. She was sold as part of a dispersal.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Stillriledup
Veteran

Thanks. Didnt realize they sold them so young for such large amounts, seems like a lot of money for a weanling.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Thanks. Didnt realize they sold them so young for such large amounts, seems like a lot of money for a weanling.
That's nothing. The late Storm Cat once commanded a $500,000 stud fee...

And after looking it up, it seems Storm Cat's sire, Northern Dancer, once commanded a $1,000,000 stud fee, WITH NO GUARANTEE of live foal!!! Now THIS is one fact I find incredible!!

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-22-2013 at 06:22 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Typically, you'd hold back and sell them as yearlings, but this was a dispersal of all of Evans' stock, I believe.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
That's nothing. The late Storm Cat once commanded a $500,000 stud fee...

And after looking it up, it seems Storm Cat's sire, Northern Dancer, once commanded a $1,000,000 stud fee, WITH NO GUARANTEE of live foal!!! Now THIS is one fact I find incredible!!
Yikes! That was around the time when a dollar was worth a dollar. Could you imagine paying a MILLION for no live foal? Is that possible?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
iceknight

What was the story with Mr. Besilu (4.2 million as yearling right?) and he is still running 5th MSWs at Monmouth
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-22-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
menifee

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceknight
What was the story with Mr. Besilu (4.2 million as yearling right?) and he is still running 5th MSWs at Monmouth
I saw that horse. They named that horse after the owner. He looks like he needs to be in maiden claimers.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 12:26 PM   #9
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Typically, you'd hold back and sell them as yearlings, but this was a dispersal of all of Evans' stock, I believe.
There are many horses sold as weanlings every year. A superb weanling can bring multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Some end-users may buy weanlings, and others are buying to pinhook and hope to make a profit when they sell as yearlings.

What's really unusual is in Japan they sell foals. Here's one that sold for $1+ million at just 3 months of age at the recently concluded July sale: http://www.jrha.or.jp/select/2013/407.html
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
There are many horses sold as weanlings every year. A superb weanling can bring multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Some end-users may buy weanlings, and others are buying to pinhook and hope to make a profit when they sell as yearlings.

What's really unusual is in Japan they sell foals. Here's one that sold for $1+ million at just 3 months of age at the recently concluded July sale: http://www.jrha.or.jp/select/2013/407.html
Agreed, just meant many more are sold as yearlings...it's been about 25 yrs since I cared for foals, but I don't remember weaning them at 3 months???
Old 07-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Agreed, just meant many more are sold as yearlings...it's been about 25 yrs since I cared for foals, but I don't remember weaning them at 3 months???
I don't know how it works, but I hope they're not weaning them that young.

Mind-boggling to think of spending $1 million on a 3-month old. Seems awfully risky the younger they are, and they can't get much younger unless you buy them in utero.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Grits

Quote:
WOW. You're a handicapper and you've never paid any attention to Keeneland or Fasig Tipton sales, or stud fees -- yearlings, 2 year old in training sales, broodmare dispersals, etc, etc.?

I've been in the Keeneland pavilion when a hip # has topped out --SOLD-- at over 2 million in under three minutes.

Northern Dancer and Storm Cat as PA said, commanded huge fees. I visited with Storm Cat, at age 20 in 2003. He was incredible, even then. He was still "the boss hoss".
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
WOW. You're a handicapper and you've never paid any attention to Keeneland or Fasig Tipton sales, or stud fees -- yearlings, 2 year old in training sales, broodmare dispersals, etc, etc.?

I've been in the Keeneland pavilion when a hip # has topped out --SOLD-- at over 2 million in under three minutes.

Northern Dancer and Storm Cat as PA said, commanded huge fees. I visited with Storm Cat, at age 20 in 2003. He was incredible, even then. He was still "the boss hoss".
. I just never saw this on the PPs before. Im not at the sales, i'm not watching unraced prospects breeze. I don't have time to hang out at the sales as i'm not in the market to purchase unraced horses.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
Grits

Quote:
. I just never saw this on the PPs before. Im not at the sales, i'm not watching unraced prospects breeze. I don't have time to hang out at the sales as i'm not in the market to purchase unraced horses.
There has to be a seller, there has to be a buyer of all goods. No matter what business one's in.

Still, one doesn't always go to the sales for the purpose of buying. Of course, not everyone wants to, or can afford, to own and race horses. The interest is shared by so many who love horseracing for good reason. Horses who are going through the sales ring's confirmation, and his/her pedigree is an important part of the sport.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits
There has to be a seller, there has to be a buyer of all goods. No matter what business one's in.

Still, one doesn't always go to the sales for the purpose of buying. Of course, not everyone wants to, or can afford, to own and race horses. The interest is shared by so many who love horseracing for good reason. Horses who are going through the sales ring's confirmation, and his/her pedigree is an important part of the sport.
Its certainly a fascinating part of the business, if i had the time and ability to attend these sales, i certainly would consider doing that, even if it was just to see what goes on out of curiosity.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: