Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 05-23-2017, 09:00 PM   #91
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Santa Anita has forever had a problem with attracting a huge amount of horses.

As in real estate...location, location, location. Where are the feeder tracks? In short, there are none. Not with the kind of caliber needed to run at SA.

They are kind of an island unto themselves, which has always been a problem out there...and it's now exacerbated by the smaller foal crops of recent years.
glad i am not the only one who sees this. they are at a disadvantage from the pool they can draw from. Everyones field size is down, just is worse in socal. its the new norm.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 01:27 AM   #92
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Yes, exactly.

Gotta engage the TOC too, good luck. Didn't Lou Raffetto last 10 minutes here? And he's a terrific exec as well.

It's an awesome facility, and customer service really is top notch. Lots of improvements over the past 5 years to the physical plant.
Raffetto worked for the TOC not the track is how I recall it.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #93
Hambletonian

With purses as high as they are in the slots-infused tracks...there is no reason for the average horses to knock heads with those from the bigger outfits. California has always been an island unto itself, with few if any shippers available, so the problem is due to the local horse population.

The only real solution is to cut back racing days and combine conditions in order to get fuller fields. Right now, it is great if you are an owner (less competition), but the betting product sucks and they are going to lose ground in the percentage of ADW handle they rake in.

Slots racing has killed the premier tracks...plain and simple. Even those that have slots fueled purses. The talented horses are now well dispersed.
Hambletonian is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #94
airford1

If you could make MONEY by racing horses there wouldn't be a problem.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 11:44 AM   #95
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by airford1 View Post
If you could make MONEY by racing horses there wouldn't be a problem.
Owning thoroughbreds has always been a sucker's bet.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 11:58 AM   #96
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post
With purses as high as they are in the slots-infused tracks...there is no reason for the average horses to knock heads with those from the bigger outfits. California has always been an island unto itself, with few if any shippers available, so the problem is due to the local horse population.

The only real solution is to cut back racing days and combine conditions in order to get fuller fields. Right now, it is great if you are an owner (less competition), but the betting product sucks and they are going to lose ground in the percentage of ADW handle they rake in.

Slots racing has killed the premier tracks...plain and simple. Even those that have slots fueled purses. The talented horses are now well dispersed.
Cut back racing days, California has already done that. They have to find more horses.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #97
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambletonian View Post

they only run between 32-40 races per week.

If you cut back anymore than you are going to see a real max exodus of horses out of there.

Its akin to saying, need more money just raise the taxes (or takeout if you will), there has to be a balance or everything collapses.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #98
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
they only run between 32-40 races per week.

If you cut back anymore than you are going to see a real max exodus of horses out of there.

Its akin to saying, need more money just raise the taxes (or takeout if you will), there has to be a balance or everything collapses.
This is why we have to go to one circuit rather than two. That's the solution, but the horsemen hate it.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #99
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

What is a circuit...? Doesn't California have (One) already with SA and GG being in the same circuit...? They ship back and forth all the time.... How do the Fairs fit in...? Are they in a different "Circuit"..?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 05:59 PM   #100
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
What is a circuit...? Doesn't California have (One) already with SA and GG being in the same circuit...? They ship back and forth all the time.... How do the Fairs fit in...? Are they in a different "Circuit"..?
They don't really ship that much, and even then it just cannibalizes the races at the other track.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2017, 06:16 PM   #101
elhelmete

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Separate circuits.
elhelmete is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2017, 01:20 AM   #102
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
They don't really ship that much, and even then it just cannibalizes the races at the other track.
I would saying shipping between these two circuits happens even less then it used too with the deletion of most of the mid level claiming races.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:23 PM   #103
theiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
Can you keep us updated on this?

I'm uncertain if my racing channel is FSW2 but I've noticed mine hasn't shown horse racing in some time. I've been relying on my ADW but they've made changes a couple months ago and watching the races has changed or I just haven't figured it out yet. I emailed my ADW and their reply wasn't very helpful.

Thanks.
I have not received any response to my e-mail sent last weekend, to FSW or Prime Ticket. I sent a follow up e-mail on Wednesday, and do not expect a response, either. I was polite in my e-mail(s).

I did see a press release, on the drf site, that Prime Ticket is picking up a NYRA produced show, starting sometime during the Belmont meet and continuing on during Saratoga. It is supposed to be a 2.5 hour show. My guess the NYRA deal is a better deal $$ for both sides. It mentioned that both Prime Ticket and Fox Sports San Diego were going to be part of the deal.
theiman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2017, 11:17 PM   #104
Andy Asaro

Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply