Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 07-27-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
That seems a bit picky. That's essentially being overruled on the charges.
My point was that the Feds (Department of Justice) were not involved in the prosecution. He wasn't indicted by a Grand Jury.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2016, 02:57 PM   #17
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
This is speculation and conjecture ...

there are too many examples of real 'cases' where 'unarmed' young black men were shot to list - remember the 12 year old with a pellet gun?
How exactly is something factual "speculation and conjecture"? The State made the case to prosecute him, but he was not indicted by a Grand Jury. I'm not agreeing, or disagreeing with the GJ, only presenting the facts.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
Robert Fischer
clean money

anyone who uses the media to capitalize on fear and ignorance and vitriol is despicable

including the 'BLM'
Old 07-27-2016, 05:55 PM   #19
Marshall Bennett

Rodney King was a piece of shit that deserved what he got. To every story like his there's a history behind it, including a criminal past that people never see. Liberals do their best to avoid it and defend these worthless scumbags to the bitter end.
The Rodney King case pretty much set the stage for what we're seeing today. The race card is a powerful commodity if you're of the proper race.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-27-2016, 06:50 PM   #20
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Officers in the Rodney King case did go to jail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Koon
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-28-2016, 01:12 AM   #21
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph
Officers in the Rodney King case did go to jail.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stacey_Koon

Originally (read 'pre-riots') 3/4 of the officers were acquitted on all charges and the 4th officer was acquitted on one charge and in favor of an acquittal (with maybe a hung jury?) on the other charge.

my attempt at a point was that an acquittal does not imply the absence of 'real' problems. You had the police brutality(regardless of whether the scumbag deserved a good ass kicking), and it was caught on tape and they were STILL going to be acquitted!

The King case was interesting in that (in contrast to Gray's case) it was an act of commission. It was also a notable case of being before it's time in what we see today with the cell phone cameras being introduced as evidence.

Gray's case was one of 'omission'. We lacked the evidence to 'prove' guilt to any of the officers, although we can see that the system did not work properly.

To the credit of Baltimore, there will now be police worn cameras, there will now be working cameras in the paddy wagon, as well as some other attempts such as a medic now being required to be provided upon request(guess we'll see how much this is abused by suspects...) and 'verification system' that somehow is supposed to ensure that officers are familiar with protocol. Guess we'll see how some of that goes.

So maybe this will put an end the 'rough ride' phenomenon for good? If any police are doing it, it would be on tape, and if someone is lying or self injuring, it would be on tape. Seems like a common sense improvement that could have been made after some of the other 'rough ride' cases became an issue in Baltimore (before FG).

Political topics can be difficult to be rational about. We all are here for the emotional energy. This shit would be too dry and boring to debate for free otherwise. There's the whole polar opposite left/right thing going on. It's a heated rivalry.

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 07-28-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 05:42 PM   #22
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
Rodney King was a piece of shit that deserved what he got. To every story like his there's a history behind it, including a criminal past that people never see. Liberals do their best to avoid it and defend these worthless scumbags to the bitter end.
The Rodney King case pretty much set the stage for what we're seeing today. The race card is a powerful commodity if you're of the proper race.
You are an idiot. And I don't say that lightly.

Piece of shit or not, led them on a car chase or not, he didn't deserve to be continuously beaten after he was down on the ground and easily immobilized by the sadists who enjoyed beating him instead of doing their job and placing him in handcuffs. I get it...it was payback for leading them on a dangerous long chase (if I remember correctly). But that's not how our men in blue (or black as the case may be in LA) are supposed to behave. They are neither judge or jury.

And if Rodney King were white, I have zero doubt he would have been beaten just the same. Funny how that reality was never given the light of day back then...not that it would have mattered.

It's attitudes like yours that give people like me a bad name.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 08-01-2016 at 05:46 PM.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 06:30 PM   #23
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
You are an idiot. And I don't say that lightly.

It's attitudes like yours that give people like me a bad name.
A) I'm not an idiot, poor choice of words...and
B) If the attitude is giving you such a bad name, why reopen the thread and show what I posted again? You could have easily deleted it and/or sent me a private message, adding how you really feel about it, Mike.
Marshall Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 08:37 PM   #24
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan
Was the officer charged? I don't recall what happened in that case. I do recall that it looked like a real gun, hence why the police were called.

What are some of the "too many real cases to list"?

We can either explore whether there is a real problem or not, or we can just assume there's a problem or not whether it's true or not.

officer not charged Tamir Rice dead
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...-old-shooting/

stupid white kid
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...g-footage.html

North Miami police bad shot hits man on ground with hands up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt8BYNWh0Ms

I could find many more if I wanted to, but why?

the ones shot with family making the most noise are usually resisting arrest and acting guilty of something...
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #25
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew
stupid white kid
[URL=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3689591/California-police-release-Dylan-Noble-bodycam-shooting-footage.html]
I don't care what his skin color was, how "stupid" he was, or whether or not he ultimately had a "weapon", Dylan Noble could have heeded any one of the 25-30 warnings from the PO which would have resulted in zero shots fired. If you approach someone that has a defensive position with gun drawn, with a hand behind your back, you should expect to receive a round fired in your direction roughly 99.9% of the time.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:37 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett
A) I'm not an idiot, poor choice of words...and
What other word to describe someone who says Rodney King deserved the beating he got? It''s not the job of police to carry out sentencing...we have a constitution for a reason.

You apparently want to live in a world of anarchy where anything goes as long as you agree with it...
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply