Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-29-2018, 10:28 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Let's handicap a race Friday

Aqueduct, Race 5

Alw NW1$ NYSB 1 mile

Nice collection proven losers who have little talent and less speed. You garden variety state bred allowance race.

60-4-4-11 and still trying to win a first level allowance!
Big win in slop in nw2 claimer - can he get a mile on a fast track?
A couple of good figs in nw2 claimers, tired last time in a slow-slow allowance race while running with two others ealry
Had the catbird seat in that slow allowance race and faded badly - failed three times at this condition so far
44 3-4-7 Lots of tries for this one. Did win an allowance race at FL and was right there in the same allowance last time.
Holly Week.....hunch play? He's my second choice
13 3-3-2 on dirt, so not a total failure, but was badly beaten in the same slow allowance race last time.
Just missed in that same allowance last time, second of a lay off, had some good figs previously. Looks best to me. I can forgive losing the slow race since it was his first back and he has better figs to run back to.

Old 03-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

WhoBet and TFUS both have this as a free race, btw.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:26 PM   #3
jay68802

Tough read hear, has show the ability to run fast enough to win here on rare occasions. Could be the break did this 7 yr old some good and he is feeling good. But chased two duelers in last and got a default win. Could upset again but I doubt it.

The good news is that it only took 16 tries to break the maiden, and only two tries to get the second win. That is also the bad news. Seems to like the distance and DD is up. Close but not quite.

Claimed two back from a trainer that you do not want to claim from. Oscar, you need learn from Robertino, and only use only the finest Nebraska hay, the highest quality oats, and no tap water, only bottled water.

Need the lead type should take some money, but not mine. The last two are horrible, should be in claiming races.

Get what you see with this one, sits off the pace and tries to win in the stretch. Gets a good set up here with the 3 and 4 dueling, and fading. Second or third is where he likes to run.

See two Allowance races on the form and he beat 2 runners at this level. Might beat a couple here but no more.

Mr. Obvious here gets the pick just because he is the most reliable of the runners. 7 placings and only 1 win are a concern, but if he can't get it done in this spot, will be claimed in next race.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 12:30 AM   #4
letswastemoney

If it rains, I'd take a chance on Light the Vow. He only wins on wet dirt.

I don't really like the race overall though.
letswastemoney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 05:43 AM   #5
thaskalos

Routed twice at Aqueduct at today's class, and failed miserably both times. Rebounded with a win off the layoff on the class drop and distance cut-back...but now climbs back to Waterloo territory again. Not for my money.

The best four finishes of his past performance record have come on wet surfaces, and his runaway victory 2 back on the muddy track looks unrepeatable to me. My guess is that he prefers a sprint. Not a contender for the win.

Hates the slop so we can forgive his race 2 back, but what do we do with his most recent failure? Alvarado skips, and Jeremy Rose is seldom used meaningfully by these connections. Pass.

Form steadily declining, with no hope for a reversal in sight. Pass.

Fits the preliminary handicapping requirements, and possesses a running style which could prove an asset in this race. Contender.

Was well bet last race at the same class level, and bombed. Maybe Alvarado sees something that I can't see. But, since it's MY money...Alvarado's judgement must be put aside. Pass.

The most obvious contender and certain race favorite. I can't find fault with him on any of the handicapping fundamentals...but I'd like to have seen a less strenuous effort off the long layoff.

The is too obvious for my taste, and the is too inferior by comparison to warrant a meaningful win-wager. A flyer on a -- cold trifecta might be all that this race is worth...IMO.

Last edited by thaskalos; 03-30-2018 at 05:56 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 06:17 AM   #6
MJC922

I'm working today so not much time to dig into the race. FWIW, my computer generated line for the race looks like this:

Dynamax Prime 2-1
Light the Vow 7-2
Guick 5-1
Holy Week 7-1
The Great Samurai 10-1
Special Story 14-1
Prophet's Cat 23-1
Old 03-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #7
FakeNameChanged

Prophet's Cat- Was last race's win due to class drop or has he improved this much? He raced 5 wide l.r.-today on the rail.

Light The Vow-not a bad race last off layoff to fin. 3rd at 6f in lower. Modest speed improvement but at 6f.

Special Story-set pace to 6f in last race in same class as today then faded while on the rail. Not wild about the jockey change.

Guick-finished 5th last race against 3 others in same race.

Holy Week-ran a close-up 3rd in last race at same class while on the rail and finally moved 2W at the 1/4. Post may improve chances today.

The Great Samurai -move up to this same class l.r. appears to have been too steep.

Dynamax Prime -Lost by a nose last race, same class off a 6+ month layoff. 2-1 ML looks legit, good jockey. Speed ratings at this distance look to be best over last several, similar effort today wins this one.

Going against the grain on this one.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:55 AM   #8
Bennie

- ran lifetime best fig last as a 7 year old, think he regresses bad and trainer is like 4%
- 2nd off layoff can improve and get a piece
- since claim 2 back has done no running and connections suck
- since top fig 3 back has gone downhill but Linda rice trains?
- consistent runner last 3 may get a piece but can't see the win
- showed up front wraps last and tanked will pass
- the best horse in the race, 2nd off layoff and looks like picture taking time today.
There is no value to be had in this race but from a pure betting view I would use the keyed over the and maybe throw in the for the tri just because of Linda Rice and the fear that this horse is just not as bad as it looks on paper the last 2 races.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 10:47 AM   #9
dkbigsky

I like the diodoro had him running well, then new trainer gave him 6 days rest and ran him in the slop. Last time out he got the lead but tired. This time he should get a somewhat easy lead depending on the and wire the field. 8 to 1 and probably more its a chance ill take.
dkbigsky is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 11:08 AM   #10
Immortal6

Yeesh...

/
Immortal6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
Partsnut
BetMix User

My Projected Order Of Finish

My Projected Order Of Finish

Attached Images
File Type: jpg R5.jpg (29.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 03-30-2018, 12:09 PM   #12
Michael

No bets for me.... but if I did.. I'd likely take 4/1 on the Linda Rice horse. Would pass on the 7 as I'd never get the astronomical odds that I would want... and maybe something like 7/1 on the if I didn't get 4/1 on the and just wanted to bet for the sake of action.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #13
headhawg
crusty old guy

I wouldn't bet this race with real money, but...

/
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #14
xtb

xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

FWIW....my Beyer pars for the races showing up in here:

Alw NW1 NYB - 80
C25000 NYB - 78
C25000 nw3l - 76
C25000 nw2l - 76

That last Alw race went in 72

Last edited by Tom; 03-30-2018 at 12:50 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply