Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:32 AM   #16
JimG

In what way is the old PP Generator (32 and 16 bit only) better than the Custom PP Generator (works with current machines)?

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 11:19 AM   #17
SandyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
It's it on both my desk & laptop computers, & they are Windows 7 64 bit. Had no problems loading the program except re-doing my filter settings from when it was on a Windows XP machine.

I really haven't changed too much in the settings except to create a "4 lines, 4 works " option. Then since I use the non contender feature under the system option on the menu to eliminate horses, I can usually get my 2 to 5 win contenders to print on 1 sheet of paper.

I tried installing Custom PP Generator Version 2.40 on my Windows 7, 64 bit desktop again for the umpteen time and it always gets hung up when the fonts are being installed.

If anybody has a fix for this it would be greatly appreciated as BRIS techs can't help at all, even though they tried.

Last edited by SandyW; 06-02-2014 at 11:22 AM.
SandyW is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #18
Capper Al

Wow! Never realized that some much could be done with BRIS PP Generator.

"The Law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich, as well as the poor, to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."

Anatole France

Capper Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #19
gillenr
Optimist

Long ago I tried PP gen & liked it. Don't use it anymore, but remember the problems I had with installing were caused by the dreaded phrase "close all open programs before installing". It was the only program I have ever had to do that & so if you're having problems, give it a shot.
gillenr is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #20
Fingal

Looking at these all these download problems makes me try to remember what I did. I right clicked on the download link & saved it in my documents, then I ran it from there to install. And maybe I did the install as administrator, but I forget.
Fingal is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 08:00 AM   #21
BIG49010

Does anybody work with the files outside of PP Generator, I was able to use Access to look at items I put in there?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #22
OverlayHunter

I think many on this site use the data in a variety of different programs and databases.
OverlayHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 08:53 AM   #23
DJofSD
Screw PC

I was never able to get it working on my W7 64-bit system.

After reading this thread, I looked at my system for Vb5db.dll. Not found.

I did a little looking on the net and found a few references on one of the Microsoft sites. That DLL appeared as a list item for one of the cab files for installing Windows 98. And while that is interesting, I don't believe it to be relevant to the W7 systems.

Questions for those running W7 64-bit and are able to use Custom PP Generator: (1) what version of Custom PP Generator are using; (2) do you know how vb5db.dll came to be on your system, i.e. what other software have you installed which would have included it?

Continuing, for those with a working PPGen, what is the path where vb5db.dll lives, and, how is it registered in the Windows registry?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
OverlayHunter

Quote:
Questions for those running W7 64-bit and are able to use Custom PP Generator: (1) what version of Custom PP Generator are using; (2) do you know how vb5db.dll came to be on your system, i.e. what other software have you installed which would have included it?

Continuing, for those with a working PPGen, what is the path where vb5db.dll lives, and, how is it registered in the Windows registry?
I can answer some of the above.

From post 12 in this thread: "I've been using Custom PP Generator Version 2.40 on Windows 7 and Window 8 64 bit laptops with no problem but I only use it to look at and sometimes print the PP's."

I haven't a clue where the vb5db.dll came from but it's dated June 18, 1998.

A search of the hard drive on my Windows 8 laptop shows it residing in 2 locations: (1) Windows\SysWOW64 and (2) Windows\System32.

A search of the hard drive on my Windows 7 laptop shows it also residing in the same 2 locations: (1) Windows\SysWOW64 and (2) Windows\System32.

Dealing with registries is above my pay grade. Haven't a clue, but if you can give me step by step explicit directions, I can try to find that tonight.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #25
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
I can answer some of the above.

From post 12 in this thread: "I've been using Custom PP Generator Version 2.40 on Windows 7 and Window 8 64 bit laptops with no problem but I only use it to look at and sometimes print the PP's."

I haven't a clue where the vb5db.dll came from but it's dated June 18, 1998.

A search of the hard drive on my Windows 8 laptop shows it residing in 2 locations: (1) Windows\SysWOW64 and (2) Windows\System32.

A search of the hard drive on my Windows 7 laptop shows it also residing in the same 2 locations: (1) Windows\SysWOW64 and (2) Windows\System32.

Dealing with registries is above my pay grade. Haven't a clue, but if you can give me step by step explicit directions, I can try to find that tonight.
Excellent - many thanks.

As a prep step:
(0) Start a new, empty Windows Notepad, or, your favorite editor which will be used below. It will be used to paste what you find in the registry search. The registry items will be moderately long and there's trick which will allow use of the clipboard to copy then paste.

For searching the Window registry:
(1) Click the Start button;
(2) In the "Search programs and files" box type "regedit" (sans the deer tracks) then press Enter;
(3) If the Windows User Account Control window pops up, click Yes;
(4) Make sure the "Computer" icon at the very top of the left side pane is selected/highlighted;
(5) Use the CNTRL+F key sequence to open the search window;
(6) Make sure all 3 boxes with the labels keys, values, data are checked;
(7) Into the "find what" field enter vb5db.dll then click "find next." It might take the program a bit to find the first match.
(8a) Assuming a match is found, notice two items are highlighted: one which is dim in the left pane, and the brighter one in the right pane. Do a left mouse click on the item in the left pane; next, on the menu for regedit, select Edit then click on "copy key name" followed by a paste into the Notepad app;
(8b) Return to the regedit app and press F3 to do another search for the next instance of "vb5db.dll". If another instance is found, repeat the click in the left pane and copy/paste operation;
(8c) When the search fails to find another "hit", you're done, exit/quit the regedit app. You will not have changed anything in the registry, so, your system will be safe;
(9) In the Notepad app, do a select all then copy to the clipboard, and then paste the clipboard contents into the reply message to this thread.

Again, many thanks.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:34 AM   #26
OverlayHunter

DJofSD,

I had a few minutes so I did the initial registry search. Well over 100 items appeared in the right box. I'm not sure what all that stuff is or why it should be related to the subject file.

At any rate, I did click on the dimly highlighted item in the left pane (SharedDlls) and retrieved the first key name (if I'm labelling it correctly). It is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

If you have any further insight you think I'll need, please provide it. I'll not be able to get back to this till at least 8 PM tonight or, perhaps, early in the morning.
Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlayHunter
DJofSD,

I had a few minutes so I did the initial registry search. Well over 100 items appeared in the right box. I'm not sure what all that stuff is or why it should be related to the subject file.

At any rate, I did click on the dimly highlighted item in the left pane (SharedDlls) and retrieved the first key name (if I'm labelling it correctly). It is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\SharedDlls

If you have any further insight you think I'll need, please provide it. I'll not be able to get back to this till at least 8 PM tonight or, perhaps, early in the morning.
OK, that's a good start.

If you are seeing multiple items on the right side, it is not a surprise. That list on the right side is basically a way for Windows to quickly find shared DLLs. It provides a look-up function using a key and is a lot quicker than reading the contents of folders which is linear -- from the top to the bottom of the subfolder each and every time is is looking for something which is very slow.

I assume when it finds vb5db.dll a specific line in that long list will be highlighted. It is the combination of the complete path under name and both the type and data which is of interest.

These specific registry entries are when a DLL has been registered with the Windows OS. Whether there is more than 1 instance, and, if there is more than 1, if it is all are the result of the registration process is not clear.

I am assuming the reason why my PPGen fails is b/c FoxPro needs the DLL but Windows can't find it. So, the plan is to use the Windows registration facility and that utility app needs the information in the name column, and then, I need to copy vb5db.dll into that same folder then see if it fixes my problem.

There's a few other details I'll forego.

Again, thanks for your help. One of the benefits for doing this exercise will be documenting it for other PA members to use if they find they can not use PPGen. It might not fix every problem others might have using Custom PP Generator, but, at least it will be there for them to try!
Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #28
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG49010
Does anybody work with the files outside of PP Generator, I was able to use Access to look at items I put in there?
Yes, in my first post I mentioned you can no longer add notes using PP generator unless you bought the card. But I found you can add, and edit notes with any database program that can work with mdb file extensions. Actually this works better than using the built-in form for adding notes because you can bulk download them.

Because I don't have Access, I have been using a "free" program called mdb+.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2014, 12:10 PM   #29
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
Yes, in my first post I mentioned you can no longer add notes using PP generator unless you bought the card. But I found you can add, and edit notes with any database program that can work with mdb file extensions. Actually this works better than using the built-in form for adding notes because you can bulk download them.

Because I don't have Access, I have been using a "free" program called mdb+.
Yes, the notes part of Custom PP Generator was an add on, or, bolt on if you will.

It has been a long time since I fooled around with it, IOW, what I will share next could just be a lot or a little wrong.

The notes were a separate table which is parallel to the main data base, i.e. the notes data base uses the same key strategy to access the text data for a particular track, race and horse.

I'd say anything done outside of the PPGen app would be better simply because the FoxPro developed apps and the way it was integrated into PPGen was not all that good.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
OverlayHunter

I got an unexpected break and finished the registry search. There was nothing else, just the one registry entry I posted this morning.

I'm curious. How do you know that was developed with Foxpro?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: