Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 07:35 PM   #9766
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I know the bible is God's Word because the world at large rejects it and is traveling on that very broad path to destruction, as Jesus said it would.
Isn't the bible the world's most popular book...and, doesn't it spearhead the world's most popular religion? Is that what you call "rejection"?
Old 02-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #9767
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Isn't the bible the world's most popular book...and, doesn't it spearhead the world's most popular religion? Is that what you call "rejection"?
But at the same time, it is written about professing believers:

Matt 7:21-27
21 "Not everyone who says to Me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven; but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven. 22 "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?' 23 "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness.'

24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of Mine, and acts upon them, may be compared to a wise man, who built his house upon the rock. 25 "And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and burst against that house; and yet it did not fall, for it had been founded upon the rock. 26 "And everyone who hears these words of Mine, and does not act upon them, will be like a foolish man, who built his house upon the sand. 27 "And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and burst against that house; and it fell, and great was its fall."

NASB

Most professing Christians are mere hearers of the word and not doers, sadly.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:46 PM   #9768
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I know the bible is God's Word because the world at large rejects it ...
You believe it because others don't believe it!
Old 02-21-2019, 12:32 AM   #9769
Light
Veteran

Quote:
All Jesus' disciples certainly do have authority to speak on His behalf. What do you think Christ's Great Commission is all about (Mat 28:19), 20?

And then there is this:

2 Cor 5:18-21
8 Now all these things are from God, who reconciled us to Himself through Christ, and gave us the ministry of reconciliation, 19 namely, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not counting their trespasses against them, and He has committed to us the word of reconciliation.

20 Therefore, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were entreating through us; we beg you on behalf of Christ, be reconciled to God. 21 He made Him who knew no sin to be sin on our behalf, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him.

NASB

And this,

Rom 10:14-15
14 How then shall they call upon Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "How beautiful are the feet of those who bring glad tidings of good things!"
NASB

And you, too, because you have summarily rejected the glad tidings of good things (the Gospel), you also will die in your sins unless you repent and trust in Jesus Christ for your salvation and the righteousness of God.
There is nothing wrong with speaking on God's behalf. But pay attention. They do not condemn people to Hell like you do.

You make yourself the lowest form of existence when you do that. You disrespect God, your fellow man,your religion and yourself. In other words you condemn yourself.

Your behavior is blasphemous to your own religion. You just disobeyed these 3 rules.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye and not the log in your own.

Let he that is without sin cast the first stone
Old 02-21-2019, 12:56 AM   #9770
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Dear Light, why don't you have a cry?
You have my permission to feel sad.

https://imgur.com/xqGo0w9
Old 02-21-2019, 01:13 AM   #9771
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post

Nothing to cry about here. Just pity the fool.
Old 02-21-2019, 01:33 AM   #9772
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post

Man, talk about crying babies losing it over and over for the last year
Wa-Wa...RR

Old 02-21-2019, 02:52 AM   #9773
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar
The battle cry of all die-hard moral relativists is:*What may be true for you may not be true for me.
Say's who? You? Or do you have another source that you can cite?
Old 02-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #9774
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
True story:
I kind of doubt it.

Quote:
A professor in some ethics class, who happened to be a Christian, ...
No shit, Sherlock.

Quote:
The professor allowed the kid to vent his anger and frustration and then quietly asked, "Didn't you write that there aren't any objective moral values in this world?" The atheist admitted that he had. The professor then said, "Well, then, what is your beef? I don't like your blue folder. How am I unfair for not liking the color blue?**By what standard do you judge me to be unfair?"
At this point the prof appears to win. No only is he in a position of power but he is also a more skilled debater than the kid. The kid has allowed to prof the steer the debate in the preferred direction. (This is something that boxcar tries to do.)

The "standard" by which the prof should be judged to be unfair is not a moral one but a legal one, namely contract law. A contract exists between the student and the college. Implicit in that contract is the assumption that the student be treated fairly. What constitutes fairness is a matter of law, and the law says fairness is a matter of "prevailing community values." (I think there was a SCOTUS decision to that effect.) What is the prevailing community value in a college. The right to think is close to the top. The prof does not want the kid to think.

Let's say the kid's family is rich enough to take the prof and the school to court. The argument is that the prof was not teaching ethics but religion. The simple fact that the prof "happened to be a Christian" while his student was an atheist supports this. Therefore the prof and the school are in violation of the SCOTUS decision of 1948.

But if the kid's family is not rich enough to sue the school then the kid can bring out the big guns. I'll cover that later.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:20 AM   #9775
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
You believe it because others don't believe it!
Yes, that's one of the primary objective reasons. It's crystal clear to me that the world at large does not think or act like God, which is precisely what is taught in Isa 55:8-9. Rather, the world thinks and acts like angry sinners in whose hands is God because of the way it reacts to God's thoughts and actions, as those are revealed in His word.

Moreover, the equally clear inference from this is that the writers of scripture were not OF this world; for they, too, did not think or act as the rest of the world does, as evidenced by their writings. But since scripture teaches that all men are sinners (putting the writers on equal footing with the rest of mankind), then this must mean that all the writers wrote what God inspired them to write. Scripture is truly "God-breathed" as Peter said.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 AM   #9776
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
There is nothing wrong with speaking on God's behalf. But pay attention. They do not condemn people to Hell like you do.

You make yourself the lowest form of existence when you do that. You disrespect God, your fellow man,your religion and yourself. In other words you condemn yourself.

Your behavior is blasphemous to your own religion. You just disobeyed these 3 rules.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye and not the log in your own.

Let he that is without sin cast the first stone
No, I didn't. All the texts you cherry-picked are taken out of context. For example -- if Christians are not supposed exercise judgment, then how are they to obey rules for church discipline which is administered on the horizontal level? Or how are Christians, generally, supposed to obey the injunction to avoid evil men (2Tim 3:1ff.)? Or according to your carnal logic, all judicial systems throughout the world should be abolished since men and women on those courts judge their fellow man every day.

Tell me, Mr. Wanna-be bible expert, who hates God's truth, did Jesus ever judge anyone or speak to anyone in condemning tones?
Old 02-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #9777
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Yes, that's one of the primary objective reasons.
If that argument were valid then The Book of Mormon should be true.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:45 AM   #9778
boxcar

Quote:
I kind of doubt it.

No shit, Sherlock.

At this point the prof appears to win. No only is he in a position of power but he is also a more skilled debater than the kid. The kid has allowed to prof the steer the debate in the preferred direction. (This is something that boxcar tries to do.)

The "standard" by which the prof should be judged to be unfair is not a moral one but a legal one, namely contract law. A contract exists between the student and the college. Implicit in that contract is the assumption that the student be treated fairly. What constitutes fairness is a matter of law, and the law says fairness is a matter of "prevailing community values." (I think there was a SCOTUS decision to that effect.) What is the prevailing community value in a college. The right to think is close to the top. The prof does not want the kid to think.

Let's say the kid's family is rich enough to take the prof and the school to court. The argument is that the prof was not teaching ethics but religion. The simple fact that the prof "happened to be a Christian" while his student was an atheist supports this. Therefore the prof and the school are in violation of the SCOTUS decision of 1948.

But if the kid's family is not rich enough to sue the school then the kid can bring out the big guns. I'll cover that later.
And so, the professor obeyed the "contract" by teaching fairness to a student by being unfair. Paradoxical, isn't it? He taught that to be fair, one must have an objective standard outside of oneself, and he proved this by adopting the student's own internal, subjective ethic of moral relativism and giving him a taste of his own medicine. So, actually, he did teach the kid to think outside the box -- his own box of muddle-headed ethics.

A hard lesson? Sure. But it's the hard lessons learned that won't soon be forgotten.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:55 AM   #9779
boxcar

Quote:
If that argument were valid then The Book of Mormon should be true.
To compare the Book of Mormon to the inspired Word of God is analogous to comparing a brass ring (the former book) to the Hope Diamond (the latter).

Since the Book of Mormon contradicts the bible in important doctrines, we can be certain that the Mormon book is quite worldly in origin.
Old 02-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #9780
boxcar

Quote:
Say's who? You? Or do you have another source that you can cite?
Common sense should tell you this. Or have you run out?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: