Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #106
Southbaygent
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin View Post
Ok, How about this:
Nice! 👍🏻
Southbaygent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #107
KyRacer

Quote:
Ok, How about this:
Very nicely done. I love seeing screenshots of homemade programs or excel sheets. I was wondering what it would look like without the grid lines and maybe have the running positions, but not the lengths behind, the same size but with a bold font to give them some contrast and make them stand out more.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #108
Longshot6977

Quote:
Ok, How about this:

Was that awesome job done by you JJ? Or a friend? If you did it, great job. Must've taken a while to do.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 PM   #109
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
Was that awesome job done by you JJ? Or a friend? If you did it, great job. Must've taken a while to do.
Yes, it is a awesome job....the best and probably hardest thing to do is to FIT it in a specific space and to NOT move much to read...GREAT JOB!!

and Tom is speechless now...lol

Last edited by mikesal57; 02-08-2019 at 09:50 PM.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 12:46 AM   #110
JJMartin

Thanks to all the likes

I made this over a year ago with the intention of emulating the original as closely as possible.

It took me about 3 months to code. The Comment line is also there to the far right but is not shown in the screen shot. The one thing I didn't get around to installing is the workout info.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 01:23 AM   #111
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks to all the likes

I made this over a year ago with the intention of emulating the original as closely as possible.

It took me about 3 months to code. The Comment line is also there to the far right but is not shown in the screen shot. The one thing I didn't get around to installing is the workout info.
How do you import the data...& what file is it (Bris-HDW) ?
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2019, 01:29 AM   #112
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
How do you import the data...& what file is it (Bris-HDW) ?

It is Bris but can handle HDW also. The data import is with VBA.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:52 AM   #113
Longshot6977

JJ, how are you using this? Can you sort the data fields a certain way such as horses with highest % trainer/jockey or highest to lowest speed ratings or by fastest time at certain distance or something like that? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 02-09-2019, 11:53 PM   #114
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot6977 View Post
JJ, how are you using this? Can you sort the data fields a certain way such as horses with highest % trainer/jockey or highest to lowest speed ratings or by fastest time at certain distance or something like that? Just curious. Thanks.

You could certainly do all those things that you mentioned. In my process the original data does not change in that particular way but what I do (not shown in the screen shot) is deploy a multiple staged analysis macro. Calculations are run and the resulting figures are added somewhere within the confines of each entrant's data. Various color coding is assigned to certain attributes (for example certain cells for Turf turn green). Then in another sheet based on that first stage, a "summary" for each horse is compiled and condensed to 1 line per horse. Another round of calculations are done, creating a type of sub-rating and then a final multi-tiered figure emerges which serves as a performance or power rating. This sheet also serves as a database that can then be analyzed further with filtering and other applications to evaluate the effectiveness of whatever methods are being employed.

The reason why I run the calculations based on a display ideal for human reading rather than a simpler (or more complex) programmatical value extraction method is because I find the classic display to be more conducive to the algorithm creation process, more insightful. Calculations that are generated are derived from my own personal trial and error process. A type of visual feedback loop between the running lines and the various handicapping concepts applied occurs which really helps to intuitively identify the critical elements in the refinement process.

I use quite a bit of conditional formatting and color coding as well. I believe it is a very effective way to quickly communicate key information that may otherwise be too mentally taxing if everything was black and white.

As complex as horse racing is with so many variables to contend with, you can never be "too extreme". The flexibility that Excel provides is invaluable and definitely essential for me. Without it, I probably wouldn't even bother. I'll admit that VBA is not the greatest in code execution even after optimizing for speed. My current program takes about 10-15 seconds on average to populate a race, pp generator is something like 1.5 to 2 seconds from I what I see. 15 seconds is definitely tolerable given the benefits. If it took minutes to load I would have to trash it.

I would just add that anyone interested in learning VBA should keep in mind that it can take several years of coding experience before arriving at something you consider professional or of satisfactory quality. However, it would not take as long to get something minimally functional going. If you are already knowledgeable in other languages, you may even consider VBA a "downgrade" but any coding knowledge will provide some degree of foundational principles.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:35 AM   #115
Longshot6977

Thanks for the detailed reply. Curiosity resolved.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #116
headhawg
crusty old guy

That's good stuff JJ. Very nice job.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #117
Gakiss2
Data Warbucks

My latest creation

Thought this might be a good place to show my latest creation. Comments, questions, critiques welcome. Some Basics

Fun feature is the color graphs showing horse position at each call. Based on picking a representative line. It is supposed to help you visualize pace.

Last is 'last fraction' to show closers. One thing I dont' like is this is the only 'less is more' figure in this layout and that is not clear in the graphic.

Pace and Final are ratings for Pace and Final Time.

Fit is a recent addition. I score horse 'fitness' with a schema involving days away from Racing, days since last Workout, pattern of workouts (freq.) and add bonus points if a horse has won coming off a long layoff. Right now it requires a lot of effort. If I like the outcome I would make it more automated.

Field size, Finish position, Beaten Length. Classic 'form' data. Later I score these. Idea is the scoring can catch your eye then you look into the detail.

Next up is race level and Actual Odds. If the horse has had low odds at the current class level then at least the public likes him. If he was last bet 40 to 1 at a level or two below today's event then one of two outcomes. Either (A) lean away a bit or (B) pawn the wife's jewelry and throw down. I tend toward the former (still married) but if you are convinced this is the horse then this prepares you for potential long odds at betting time.

ScTot is a sum of all my scoring algorithms. They aren't scientifically justified, just my idea of what I'm looking for. Probably not worth it to detail each one but they are basic such as higher points for finishing 1st in the representative race or Beaten lengths less then 2.

Although you get an overall score it is not meant to pick by that score. That is designed focus your attention where a horse has an accumulation of positive scenarios. From there I mentally process, eliminate non-contenders, visualize pace, then if a horse has my attention I go the PP's and look through more than the one race I chose for this to see if what I am seeing is backed up by other past races or refuted by non excusable recent poor performance on other lines.

I've just recently started using it with some mild success. It takes an hour or two to put together from the PPs I use which is Today's Racing Digest basic sheets. It could be done from Bris comma delimited data but I would have to do some programming to make that work.

Attached Images
File Type: png Capture color map.PNG (62.5 KB, 82 views)
Gakiss2 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2019, 02:17 PM   #118
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
What data file did you use for importing? Was it the Bris $1 single file format?
Yes.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:28 PM   #119
Light
Veteran

Thanks, I deleted my message because I see it was asked already.

I've played around with this but could never get the superscripts and subscripts right, besides some other things but that was the main one.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #120
JJMartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
Thanks, I deleted my message because I see it was asked already.

I've played around with this but could never get the superscripts and subscripts right, besides some other things but that was the main one.

There was a bit of debugging as expected. The good thing about VBA is that there is plenty of free online resources when you need help.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: