Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 02-25-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Teach

Aqueduct: Sunday, February 25

Race One:

LIGHTNING BUZZ is a lightly-raced Stephen Got Even-bred [Stephen Got Even loved the slop] 6-year old gelding. He along with all the others in this 16k claimer, n2L sprint, have been heretofore “camera-shy” (save for one cameo appearance) throughout their racing career. Yet, this A.P. Indy-bred has shown a penchant for hitting the infield-tote. His number has landed on the board in more than half of his pari-mutuel races (that’s more than I can say for the others). This gelding has the chauffeuring services of the man from the Bayou state, “the king of Philadelphia,” Kendrick Carmouche. Carmouche is an aggressive rider who should put this gelding into a position to garner his second win. I look for Carmouche to guide this gelding to the outside for his stretch drive. “Pat” Quick is this Alybro-bred’s trainer. Quick will need to “get off the schneid” as he has been winless at the “Big A”. Yet, Quick has a knack of conditioning winners when you might not expect it (though, this gelding will not be a longshot). This is this gelding’s 3rd start off a layoff. I like that racing angle as a handicapping tool. Others: , ,

Race Two:

BINKSTER is a Bluegrass Cat-bred gelding who showed a marked improvement in his second pari-mutuel start. He was a game 2nd on a muddy track. I believe this colt is headed “in the right direction.” I also believe he’s “a player” in this New York state-bred MC route. I feel he moves up on a wet racing surface; this Storm Cat-bred has a solid wet-track-preferring lineage. Also, this colt can “get the distance”. This colt’s dam, La Femme Galante was a stakes-place distaffer who produced 5 winners from 7 starters. In addition, he has the services of one of Aqueduct’s top jockeys that have campaigned here during the winter Aqueduct meet: Trevor McCarthy. The red-headed, boyish-grinned McCarthy has been a welcome addition to the NYRA jockey colony since shipping his tack up from the Mid-Atlantic states. McCarthy should this colt out and going when the bell sounds and the gates unlatch. The colt’s trainer, Auburn, NY’s Dave Cannizzo (I recall crossing “the singing bridge” over the Owasco River when our family travelled from Syracuse to Rochester) is a most capable conditioner. Others: , ,

Race Three:

RACING RAVEN is an Overanalyze-bred colt who finished 2nd in his most recent race earlier in the month. This 3-year old went off as the 3/2 “chalk” in that one. This Dixie Union-bred now stretches out an additional panel; I believe that should help. I believe this colt moves up on a wet track. This colt has the services of one of the best up-and-coming jockeys in North America, Carolina (Tierra de Gigantes), Puerto Rico’s Manny Franco. The colt’s trainer is “Big D’s” Todd Pletcher. Nuff Ced! The Repole Stable owns this Elusive Quality-bred. I lok for this colt to mount a late-closing charge. Others: , ,

Race Four:

SIR BALLANTINE was last since at Churchill Downs over 3 months ago; he finished 4th in that allowance route. He now ships “Back East” to compete in a similar race (he does cut back ‘a teenth’). This Bernardini-bred 4-year old colt has a solid wet-track pedigree, both “top” and “bottom”. I think he should acclimate quite nicely to his new surroundings. and to today’s racing surface. Danny Gargan (he’s having an excellent meet) is this colt’s conditioner; he does well with horses who have been “on vacation”. Gargan also excels with horses who are making their first start under his tutelage and with shippers. Dylan Davis is this colt’s pilot. I said this in the past, and I’ll say it again, for some inexplicable reason Dylan Davis seems to do very well on wet-track surfaces. I can’t quantify this, but if winning an Aqueduct-tying six wins on a race-card on a wet surface is any indication, then that would appear to be proof enough. Others: , ,

Race Five:

DOOLEY intrigues me. Dylan Davis in the irons. Second off a layoff. A David Donk-trainee. A closing 2nd in his last in this company (despite being brushed at the gate). I believe he moves up on a wet racing surface. Unless his last-race, 2nd-place finish was an aberration, I believe this bay colt is headed “in the right direction”. If this 4-year old takes to a wet track as I believe he will, he will instantly become “a player”. Others: , ,

Race Six:

MUSICALITY. You know what they say: “No guts, no glory!” Yes, a gambler’s throw. Yet, I believe I can make a case for this 4-year old gelding as “a contendah”. This MacClean’s Music-bred did win his last, albeit against weaker company. Yet, I believe he moves up on a wet track. Wet racing conditions can be “the great leveler”. In this gelding’s only race on a wet track in MSW company he finished 3rd, that despite being checked. I feel that if this Distorted Humor-bred gets a “clean” trip, he can become an unexpected factor. I fully believe that he will outrun his odds. The most capable “Double A,” Angel Arroyo, is in the irons. Trainer Gregg Matties doesn’t condition many horses; yet he’s been known to condition a winner when one might least expect it. This may be one of those cases. If all goes well, I look for this Benton Creek-bred to come flying home in the stretch. The added panel should help. Others: , ,

Race Seven:

LAST CHANT, the Ed Barker trainee, gets a big break when it comes to starting posts; he now moves outside on what I believe will be on outside-favoring track. Yes, may the bias be with you! Dylan Davis reprises the ride. This War Chant-bred has been facing tougher. The drop in company cod do wonders. Further, Ed Barker is taking the blinkers off; equipment changes can have a significant effect on race outcomes (if they are the answer). Also, there’s first-time Lasix. A recent, solid morning work bolsters confidence. Others: , ,

Race Eight:

TUSK is another value-play. I know he doesn’t appear to be a major factor; yet I believe this Tapit (Pulpit)-bred moves up on a wet track. Rudy Rodriguez does well with horses that have “been on the bench”. “The Cajun Kid,” Kendrick Carmouche, is in the irons. I believe this 5-year old gelding can be a factor. Some horses who do well on the turf translate those performances to sloppy main-track conditions. Wouldn’t it a pleasant surprise... Others:, ,

Race Nine:

LUCKY LOU PAL takes an extreme class drop. Tis Giant’s Causeway-bred moves up on a wet surface. He possesses the wet-track lineage to be a factor. The outside post should. So too should the services of his trainer, Chris Englehart (he does well with horses entered in claiming races) and his jockey, Paco Lopez. This 4-year old bay colt will likely be out and going from his outside post. Others: , ,

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: