Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-25-2018, 12:33 PM   #511
Clocker

The "good guy with a gun" argument is increasingly being twisted in the liberal media. CNN's Chris Cillizza is the latest:

Quote:
“To stop a bad guy with a gun, it takes a good guy with a gun,” LaPierre said to applause from the CPAC crowd on Thursday morning.

The problem for LaPierre is that this latest shooting in Parkland, Florida, isn’t an affirmation of that view. It’s a direct rebuttal.

There was a good guy with a gun just outside the school when the bad guy with a gun started murdering people. The good guy with the gun wasn’t the solution. He didn’t stop it.

What the Parkland school shooting exposes is the fallacy in LaPierre’s argument: This is not a simple problem. And it does not have a simple solution like arming more people.
No, that is a simplistic argument that deliberately distorts reality. A good guy with a gun is one who is ready, willing and able to use it for its intended purpose. There was not a good guy with a gun at that school. There was a scarecrow in a uniform.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/02/...ved-nra-wrong/
Old 02-25-2018, 12:40 PM   #512
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
The "good guy with a gun" argument is increasingly being twisted in the liberal media. CNN's Chris Cillizza is the latest:

No, that is a simplistic argument that deliberately distorts reality. A good guy with a gun is one who is ready, willing and able to use it for its intended purpose. There was not a good guy with a gun at that school. There was a scarecrow in a uniform.

https://hotair.com/archives/2018/02/...ved-nra-wrong/
What would you expect with anyone from CNN? Certainly, not straight thinking. And this guy Chris has the gall to talk about "reality"?
Old 02-25-2018, 12:47 PM   #513
Clocker

Jake Tapper of CNN fluctuates between good journalism and spouting the liberal line. His interview with the Broward Sheriff is good stuff. And the sheriff is a fool.

Quote:
"Are you really not taking any responsibility for the multiple red flags that were brought to the attention of the Broward Sheriff's Office about this shooter before the incident?" Tapper asked.

"Jake, I can only take responsibility for what I knew about. I exercised my due diligence. I've given amazing leadership to this agency—" Israel started.

"Amazing leadership? Tapper asked incredulously.

"Yes, Jake. There's a lot of things we've done throughout this—this is—you don't measure a person's leadership by a deputy not going into—these deputies received the training they needed—" Israel said.

"Maybe you measure somebody's leadership by whether or not they protect the community," Tapper said. "In this case, you've listed 23 incidents before the shooting involving the shooter and still nothing was done to keep guns out of his hands, to make sure that the school was protected, to make sure you were keeping an eye on him … I don't understand how you can sit there and claim amazing leadership."

Israel said on "16 of those cases," his deputies did everything right and in the five years he had been sheriff, he'd taken the department to a "new level."
So getting things right in 16 out of 23 instances is "amazing leadership"? If this is a new level, I'd hate to think what things used to be like around there.

http://freebeacon.com/politics/browa...to-department/
Old 02-25-2018, 12:50 PM   #514
thaskalos

Some are fearless even when they are unarmed...and some are scared to death, even with a machine-gun in their hands. It isn't the steel in his hands that defines the "hero"; it's the steel in his BALLS.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:57 PM   #515
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It isn't the steel in his hands that defines the "hero"; it's the steel in his BALLS.
Man, this is a good line...
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #516
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Some are fearless even when they are unarmed...and some are scared to death, even with a machine-gun in their hands. It isn't the steel in his hands that defines the "hero"; it's the steel in his BALLS.
Yes...like that unarmed high school coach who sacrificed his life by shielding students from spraying bullets with his body.

You're in the running for "post of the year".
Old 02-25-2018, 01:12 PM   #517
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Clocker - I am getting worried about you.
Are you listening to too much CNN?
That could rot your mind, you know.

They have those radiation detection badges they use in nuclear reactors......need to get the ones for Liberal BS.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScreenShot2288.jpg (11.8 KB, 3 views)
Old 02-25-2018, 01:51 PM   #518
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Direct exposure to CNN is too toxic for me without a hazmat suit. I view it all from a safe distance. Check the sources for my quotes.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #519
woodtoo

"Courage is being scared to death....and saddling up anyway."
John Wayne
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2018, 02:31 PM   #520
Nutz and Boltz
Mad as hell !

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodtoo View Post
"Courage is being scared to death....and saddling up anyway."
John Wayne
Me thinks you might have opened up a can of worms. He "saddled up", in the movies.

http://www.neatorama.com/2014/06/25/...-Draft-Dodger/

Last edited by Nutz and Boltz; 02-25-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Nutz and Boltz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2018, 02:47 PM   #521
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
And this statement in the article flies in the face of ShowMe's SC case that he wrote about a couple of days ago:

"If these reports are true, these deputies are constitutionally bound to engage the shooter to protect the students," Kerik added.
The deputies are not bound directly by the Constitution, and the Constitution does not require the agency to engage the shooter. As long as the deputies are following orders or established procedures, they are acting legally.

What I didn't know before was that established procedure for many law enforcement agencies, at least in the past, was for officers to not immediately enter a building.

Quote:
So why do good cops wait? Training. It’s part of a tactical approach currently debated by police departments across the country. Before Columbine, everyone pretty much waited: Set up a perimeter, wait for SWAT, go in with mass firepower and a strategy to reduce civilian casualties. That doesn’t work if all the civilians are already dead.

So the strategy changed—or was supposed to. But as we’ve seen again and again, in some places, it hasn’t. This brings up the conversation nobody wants to have: It’s a lot easier to police good people than bad ones.
Apparently many agencies have changed that procedure in light of increasing numbers of mass shootings. What we don't know yet is what the Broward policy is.

http://thefederalist.com/2018/02/23/...ice-cowardice/
Old 02-25-2018, 02:48 PM   #522
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Jake Tapper of CNN fluctuates between good journalism and spouting the liberal line. His interview with the Broward Sheriff is good stuff. And the sheriff is a fool.
Overall no one oscillates between being one of the best journalists out there to sneaking in and towing the party line like Tapper.

Pretty sure thats why CNN likes him.

Gets you lulled in with really good stuff then sneaks it in. I do have an favorable opinion of him though.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2018, 02:51 PM   #523
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

They have those radiation detection badges they use in nuclear reactors......need to get the ones for Liberal BS.
CNN is fine. Vanilla liberal for the most part and easy to identify. It occasionally goes off the rails like the Town Hall and then brings itself back to that vanilla spot.
Old 02-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #524
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Overall no one oscillates between being one of the best journalists out there to sneaking in and towing the party line like Tapper.

Pretty sure thats why CNN likes him.

Gets you lulled in with really good stuff then sneaks it in. I do have an favorable opinion of him though.
I said "good", not "one of the best".

He usually gets the facts straight.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:10 PM   #525
elysiantraveller

Quote:
He usually gets the facts straight.
For a major outlet? That's over half the battle.