Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 02-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #46
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I can't see your point in this thread. If something needs to be done to stop the shameful practice of shipping these racehorses to Mexico by the thousands...then, who in your opinion should initiate this move...and who should PAY for it?

Or do we just leave things as they are?
I'm not sure there IS a solution to that. There is only a limited number of uses for a race horse. Even if you donate to an organization that rescues race horses they won't all be rescued. You can't just endlessly ship them all off to a nice grassy retirement farm.

If I were forced to present a solution to the problem I would place a limit on the number of horses that can be bred in a given year. Only breed enough horses that can be placed into use and retirement.

Of course, that would significantly harm the industry as a whole - but at least we could potentially eliminate the problem.
DGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 07:26 PM   #47
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGroundhog View Post
I'm not sure there IS a solution to that. There is only a limited number of uses for a race horse. Even if you donate to an organization that rescues race horses they won't all be rescued. You can't just endlessly ship them all off to a nice grassy retirement farm.

If I were forced to present a solution to the problem I would place a limit on the number of horses that can be bred in a given year. Only breed enough horses that can be placed into use and retirement.

Of course, that would significantly harm the industry as a whole - but at least we could potentially eliminate the problem.
Fine...but you said earlier that it is easy to say 'somebody should pay for that, but it shouldn't be me'. All this "new money" has come into this sport via the racinos that the racetracks are now operating...and no move has yet been made to "improve the product" in any way. If something is to be done for the horse-slaughter problem, who should initiate it...and who should pay for it?

I pointed to the breakage and to the uncashed tickets, because these are funds that are WRONGFULLY taken away from the bettors...and you were quick to point out to me that these monies are taken away from the players "legally". Who pays to help with the horse-slaughter problem then? Should the takeout go up a few more points...so the problem could be aleviated without the racing industry having to directly pay for it?
Old 02-24-2018, 07:47 PM   #48
DGroundhog
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Fine...but you said earlier that it is easy to say 'somebody should pay for that, but it shouldn't be me'. All this "new money" has come into this sport via the racinos that the racetracks are now operating...and no move has yet been made to "improve the product" in any way. If something is to be done for the horse-slaughter problem, who should initiate it...and who should pay for it?

I pointed to the breakage and to the uncashed tickets, because these are funds that are WRONGFULLY taken away from the bettors...and you were quick to point out to me that these monies are taken away from the players "legally". Who pays to help with the horse-slaughter problem then? Should the takeout go up a few more points...so the problem could be aleviated without the racing industry having to directly pay for it?
If I were to institute my example of limiting the breeding you would need to purchase a license to breed a thoroughbred. Most of that money would go to the 'rescue program' (overhead and salaries would be paid - remainder to the rescue program).

Any remaining money needed to cover the expenses would be taken from the money wagered. Takeouts would increase (possibly dramatically).

You might claim that the increased takeout is 'taking money from the horseplayer' - but just like any transaction, when you provide the money in exchange for something it is no longer your money. You have no say in how it should be spent.

You can claim that breakage and uncashed tickets are 'wrongfully' taken from the horseplayer - but if it were to be returned I could just as easily claim the money was being 'wrongfully' distributed to the horse players.
DGroundhog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #49
thaskalos

Quote:
If I were to institute my example of limiting the breeding you would need to purchase a license to breed a thoroughbred. Most of that money would go to the 'rescue program' (overhead and salaries would be paid - remainder to the rescue program).

Any remaining money needed to cover the expenses would be taken from the money wagered. Takeouts would increase (possibly dramatically).

You might claim that the increased takeout is 'taking money from the horseplayer' - but just like any transaction, when you provide the money in exchange for something it is no longer your money. You have no say in how it should be spent.

You can claim that breakage and uncashed tickets are 'wrongfully' taken from the horseplayer - but if it were to be returned I could just as easily claim the money was being 'wrongfully' distributed to the horse players.
I think we'll just have to agree to disagree here. IMO...the breakage and the confiscation of the uncashed ticket proceeds is an act of outright THIEVERY...and this shameful practice is allowed to go on only because the industry considers its customers to be nothing but addicted fools.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:07 PM   #50
cutchemist42

I guess one of my main thoughts is that I feel any owner should be able to afford the $250 or whatever it costs to humanely euthanize a horse after they dont need it.

Selling the horse for $200 and sending them down that excruciating slaugther pipeline not designed for them is sickening. None of the slaughter pipeline is adequte for horses, from transportation down to the actual slaughter.

How can anyone justify that difference in costs?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2018, 01:13 PM   #51
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Horseplayers pay enough. They shouldn't have to pay one more cent to pay for this unless they choose to do so through donations, as many do. Part of being an owner is being responsible for the horse. If you can't do right by the horse, don't own horses.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2018, 02:37 PM   #52
woodbinepmi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Horseplayers pay enough. They shouldn't have to pay one more cent to pay for this unless they choose to do so through donations, as many do. Part of being an owner is being responsible for the horse. If you can't do right by the horse, don't own horses.
HEAR HEAR!
Old 02-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #53
luisbe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
If everyone stopped betting on horse racing it seems like a lot of problems would be solved including this one.
Unless is an addiction.
luisbe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 PM   #54
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
Vigors, Mexico slaughtered 128,000 horses in 2016, the vast majority for export. The consumption of horse meat is not a normal cultural practice in Mexico, though I'm sure there's some.

I am starting to get concerned about what I was eating at the upper level clubhouse buffet at Agua Caliente back when they had live horse races. I used to dump so much hot salsa on my food I could have been eating anything.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 11:38 PM   #55
BrentT

I race at Delta, Evd, and Fair Grounds year round.
I would never, ever, in a million years sale a horse to one of the bums from Thompsons, I don't and most owners over there don't need that 3-500 they are paying..... But some still do it, it's very sad.

Problem is: The racing commission can do nothing about it technically, if someone sales a horse to someone, then they send it to thompsons or another kill buyer the racing commissions hands are tied BECAUSE it(Horse Slaughter) is not Illegal in the U.S...... So complaining to the racing commissions is NEVER going to hel as sad as it is, you have to complain to your local congresmen/women. Perhaps we could get a big petition started and I'm sure we could get millions of signatures for it.

However I did read a good comment in this thread and I will post fliers at the tracks in Louisiana. I will post for them that want to sale to call these horse rescues first and let them buy for the same price so they can re-home these animals. I'm going to get in contact with some of the rescues to see if I can put thier info on the fliers to post at tracks and hopefully this helps.

It's very very nasty what these kill pens are doing.
They are the scum of the earth.

Is anyone interested in writing up or starting a petition that we can get signatures for to present to congress? Electronic signatures somehow as it would go viral then. I just have no idea how to do all this.
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-26-2018, 11:59 PM   #56
BrentT

This goes with the comment above, I could not edit.

** Edit **
This is far fetched but I may ask if theres a way that every horse that runs is charged $1 (I mean theres pony & Jock fees on every race thru these accts $20 & $70 min) on the owners account. That would bring in around 1k per week which could be used for rehoming, or paying the owners like $500 to send to certain rescues instead of kill buyers/auctions.
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 02:42 PM   #57
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentT View Post
This goes with the comment above, I could not edit.

** Edit **
This is far fetched but I may ask if theres a way that every horse that runs is charged $1 (I mean theres pony & Jock fees on every race thru these accts $20 & $70 min) on the owners account. That would bring in around 1k per week which could be used for rehoming, or paying the owners like $500 to send to certain rescues instead of kill buyers/auctions.
Far fetched? Owners are already having far more than $1 taken out of their accounts for every race they run at a majority of the tracks for this purpose. Trainers and jockeys, and plenty more who make their livings off the horse, are required to pay none.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #58
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
Far fetched? Owners are already having far more than $1 taken out of their accounts for every race they run at a majority of the tracks for this purpose. Trainers and jockeys, and plenty more who make their livings off the horse, are required to pay none.
If Delta owners are having to pay into such a fund, they're getting screwed. Like the horses.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 03:20 PM   #59
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider View Post
If Delta owners are having to pay into such a fund, they're getting screwed. Like the horses.
The Delta owners aren't. They're not among "most tracks". In any event, the amount you specified is far too little. Much more is needed. If you're paying only $1 a start for this, you should expect as much as $1 gets you, which is a candy bar.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #60
cutchemist42

Are owners so desparate they cant afford to euthanize an unwanted horse?
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: