Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

View Poll Results: How do you feel about gun control laws?
Current laws infringe on our rights and should be weakened 21 17.80%
Current laws are just fine, thanks. We don't need anything more 28 23.73%
Current laws are not satisfactory, there are "common sense" adjustments that should be made 69 58.47%
Voters: 118. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:03 PM   #31
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

TIme to lower the drinking age!!!

or fight!
And make it mandatory. Get today's kids off drugs and get a few beers in them and the worlds will be a better place.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #32
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

How about a few quotes from Ronald Reagan which sound pragmatic and practical as I see it.

http://www.azquotes.com/author/12140...ag/gun-control
Old 02-16-2018, 07:15 PM   #33
chadk66

we have regressed in this country in regards to guns. used to be nearly everyone knew how to use them and knew how to respect them. And there were morals in this country. That's all been thrown out the window. We need to have gun safety and usage classes in our school systems. Teach kids proper use, care and respect for them. When I was a freshman in high school my biology teacher had an FFL. Sold firearms on the side to supplement his teachers salary. All the guns needed to be signed for. Therefor they had to be delivered to the school. Just so happened UPS came during the period I had his class. He would run down and get them and bring them back to the class and open em up and pass them around for all to check out. And the thing that amazes me to this day is none of those damn guns jumped up and started shooting people.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #34
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Do do do do do do, oh yeah.....

Old 02-16-2018, 08:59 PM   #35
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Jimi says hi!

Old 02-16-2018, 11:55 PM   #36
Clocker

Half the people replying to the poll have said that gun control laws need "common sense adjustments". Except for Dan's questioning of the age limit, none have identified any problems or proposed any improvements.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:01 AM   #37
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I tried, Clocker....a drunk can't hit shit!
Old 02-17-2018, 12:16 AM   #38
jocko699
Resurrectionist

I wish an answer in the poll was sterilization of humans. Would that not stop all the mass killings?
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:05 AM   #39
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Half the people replying to the poll have said that gun control laws need "common sense adjustments". Except for Dan's questioning of the age limit, none have identified any problems or proposed any improvements.
First of all, some of the rhetoric the media is spreading is absurd. For instance, they say that tougher gun laws hasn't helped Chicago. But Chicago's gun crimes are being committed by drug dealing gangs, not some introverted nerd who wants revenge. There's no question that better background checks would have stopped many of these creeps from buying a gun legally. Some say that they would get it illegally, let them try. You have to go into very dangerous areas and deal with dangerous people to buy something like an AR-15 illegally. And, if we had tougher penalties for people who sell guns illegally, it would be even harder to get a gun. We are way too easy on illegal gun sellers.

Tougher gun laws would not eliminate murders or these type of shootings, but they would help, and we have to save as many lives as possible.

Personally, I think that every school should have a fenced yard and metal detectors. When I go to an NFL game, no one gets inside the fencing without being checked for weapons. It's unfortunate that we have to subject children to this, but we have to, because we simply can't keep allowing this to happen. This is a crisis. Parents have to pressure school boards because the gov't isn't doing their job when it comes to these school shootings.

I grew up in a section of Brooklyn, East NY. We moved when I was ten, but even then it was getting bad. Eventually, over 1800 people were murdered in that one square mile area in one year! But then Rudy became mayor. Murders in New York went from over 3,000 to about 300 once Rudy Guiliani became mayor. You can stop criminals. But you have to have a smart plan and you have to make it tougher for them to commit crimes.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #40
JustRalph
Just another Facist

“Tougher gun laws would not eliminate murders or these type of shootings, but they would help, and we have to save as many lives as possible. “

Not true.

Its so damn easy to get illegal guns on the street because certain segments of society thrive by stealing and selling them. Contrary to what you posted, Burglars don’t wait for people to come to them. If they have a hot AR15 they will be actively pushing that fact on the street. They don’t sit around like a retailer. They move their merchandise fast. The word gets out quickly.

More gun laws only burden law abiding citizens.
Old 02-17-2018, 09:27 AM   #41
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Its so damn easy to get illegal guns on the street because certain segments of society thrive by stealing and selling them.
The 0bama administration comes to mind.......
Old 02-17-2018, 10:55 AM   #42
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
“Tougher gun laws would not eliminate murders or these type of shootings, but they would help, and we have to save as many lives as possible. “

Not true.

Its so damn easy to get illegal guns on the street because certain segments of society thrive by stealing and selling them. Contrary to what you posted, Burglars don’t wait for people to come to them. If they have a hot AR15 they will be actively pushing that fact on the street. They don’t sit around like a retailer. They move their merchandise fast. The word gets out quickly.

More gun laws only burden law abiding citizens.
I disagree with you on this. Using your words, "actively pushing that fact on the street"

Many of these school shootings have been done by kids. This nut in Florida bought his AR15 when he was 18 years old. He was not a street criminal. Unless he hangs out in the hood or high crime areas, he would not even find out about the guns that are for sale illegally. Many of these shooters are living in the suburbs, or nice neighborhoods.

I grew up in one of the worst areas in the country. If you are some white nerdy kid you will probably get beat up before you get near the guy who is selling the guns. Sure, it's easy for gang members, drug dealers, and street thugs to get guns illegally. It's not that easy for a white 18 year old from the suburbs.

Furthermore, every life counts. Tougher gun laws wouldn't stop hunters or law-abiding people from owning guns, but if they cut down murders by 10%, which in turn saves several thousand lives, that's a step in the right direction. Every life counts.

The paranoia about losing our rights is a joke. We have a ton of driving restrictions and laws but we didn't lose our right to drive. Better gun laws would actually protect the second amendment and gun owners, because if these mass murders keep escalating, eventually the public will turn on the politicians and vote the Republicans or any elected official who is weak on gun crime out of office, and then the Democrats, or whoever is in power, will be forced to enact much stricter gun laws. The politicians side with the NRA now because their jobs aren't in jeopardy. But that could change.

This goes deeper than gun laws, though. There are other things that can be done, but the government in general, federal and local, has not responded to these horrific crimes. They've let us down.

Last edited by pandy; 02-17-2018 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:02 AM   #43
azeri98

I don't think he could have killed as many people if he would have only had a handgun or rifle, there is no need for a citizen to have a military assault rifle, if you feel you need one of those to protect yourself, you must be very scared of something, it seems like guns are more valued than the lives of children, nothing wrong with owning a gun to protect your home and family but that can be accomplished without the use of big guns that can kill many in a short amount of time. Other countries have had mass shootings but not even close to the rate of the U.S, what is the reason for that?
Old 02-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #44
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
I disagree with you on this. Using your words, "actively pushing that fact on the street"

Many of these school shootings have been done by kids. This nut in Florida bought his AR15 when he was 18 years old. He was not a street criminal. Unless he hangs out in the hood or high crime areas, he would not even find out about the guns that are for sale illegally. Many of these shooters are living in the suburbs, or nice neighborhoods.

I grew up in one of the worst areas in the country. If you are some white nerdy kid you will probably get beat up before you get near the guy who is selling the guns. Sure, it's easy for gang members, drug dealers, and street thugs to get guns illegally. It's not that easy for a white 18 year old from the suburbs.
I’m saying he will get the gun anyway. That white kid from the suburb can get a gun as easy as anybody else, because he has cash. That’s all that matters. I worked as a cop in SoCal and in the suburbs in Ohio. When it comes to criminal tools, cash is king. If they want a gun, they will get it. But don’t take my word for it.....I only spent 15 years taking illegal guns off the street.

Here’s an interesting note

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/0...ground-checks/
Old 02-17-2018, 11:14 AM   #45
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
There's no question that better background checks would have stopped many of these creeps from buying a gun legally. Some say that they would get it illegally, let them try. You have to go into very dangerous areas and deal with dangerous people to buy something like an AR-15 illegally. And, if we had tougher penalties for people who sell guns illegally, it would be even harder to get a gun. We are way too easy on illegal gun sellers.
You are talking out your ass like the typical person who believes more gun laws equal less murders.

Here you go check this out:

http://vaguntrader.com/forums/ubbthr...5s#Post1319841

I could met this guy at the nearest truck stop, show him my I.D. hand him cash and have an evil AR-15 in minutes. Private party to private party sales here do not require background checks or waiting periods.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: