Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 02-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #16
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Shoot them...?

They are horrible for the environment.
Considered it, but after conversation's with the local law enforcement decided to go in another direction. And in my experience, officers responding to a "shots fired" complaint are not in a good mood.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #17
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
I never understood cat haters, how are they harming you? I live in an area in the woods of Central Virginia where there are about 10 homes per square mile, do the math over 60 acres for each house. A little old lady living at the entrance to the paved street that leads to the dirt roads we all live on feeds feral cats, maybe a dozen of them. I slow down driving past as there is often a cat darting across the street in front of her house.

My closest neighbor the only other house on my dirt road who is 1/4 mile past me and almost a mile from the "cat lady" complains often about all those cats. He is further away from her then me and I might see a cat other than my own close to my house once a week. I just believe some men hate cats and want them to become extinct.
I didn't get that from his posts. His problem is a HUMAN one -- with his totally irresponsible and inconsiderate neighbor who, evidently, is oblivious to what a nuisance uncontrolled breeding of cats can wreak on entire neighborhood.

By the way, I have been a cat lover all my life. Have seven right now.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #18
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
Have no problem with this, but do it the right way. Just putting out food is not helping, only making the problem worse.
I agree, if you care enough to feed them, care enough to also get them fixed, it's in the best interests of all involved. And most SPCAs and the like have several low-cost clinics through the year.
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #19
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Do you have Habitat for CAts in your area? the catch them, neuter them and return them. It really make the cat's lived happier.
I had them pick up my strays a few years ago - they got my 3 at the time, and one other who used to just walk by the house every day. When they brought them all back, that poor little guy would still walk by every day, but he would cross the street one house before mine and come back over one house past! Poor guy!!! Must have thought I was some kind of monster.

I have 4 right now - all homeless at one time. No problems with any of them.

Never leave food out. It attracts other unwanted animals that you don't want around.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:57 PM   #20
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Do you have Habitat for CAts in your area? the catch them, neuter them and return them. It really make the cat's lived happier.
I had them pick up my strays a few years ago - they got my 3 at the time, and one other who used to just walk by the house every day. When they brought them all back, that poor little guy would still walk by every day, but he would cross the street one house before mine and come back over one house past! Poor guy!!! Must have thought I was some kind of monster.

I have 4 right now - all homeless at one time. No problems with any of them.

Never leave food out. It attracts other unwanted animals that you don't want around.
It is a ****ing cat.

A cat.

Would you take a homeless person into your home? They would cost less than a pet. They can also talk and actually communicate. And at the end of the day you can release them into the wild with hopes of actually bettering society.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by _______ View Post
It’s too bad there isn’t a catch and release program in your area. Where I live, you can have the animals trapped, taken to a vet where they are are neutered/spayed, then returned to where they were caught to live out their lives. The vet who cared for my cat before he passed started the program and donates his efforts.

It does reduces the population over time.

As an aside, the barn cats I’ve been familiar with weren’t feral. They lived around people, horses, and goats. They got acclimated to all three.
These programs work great. Maybe you could get together with the neighbors and get this started. In Dallas they do this.

I’ve posted about my ferals I adopted in Dallas. They are doing great. But they are indoor cats now and have been over 3 years now. Total of 3 now....here’s 2

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1FAB8EE6-C4B2-41EF-B496-3E0886E3F876.jpg (228.5 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-09-2018, 01:02 PM   #22
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
It is a ****ing cat.

A cat.

Would you take a homeless person into your home? They would cost less than a pet. They can also talk and actually communicate. And at the end of the day you can release them into the wild with hopes of actually bettering society.
I prefer the cats over humans any day.......
Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 PM   #23
Ocala Mike

I'm with Ralph. Almost every cat I ever owned (and I'm a crazy cat man) was a rescued stray or feral. They make the best companions, and I never see a mouse or rat around the barn.
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 01:16 PM   #24
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I prefer the cats over humans any day.......
I'm very sorry to hear that.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 01:19 PM   #25
xtb
Ultra MAGA "Gun Bitch"

I had a neighbor whose cat would use my bushes as its outdoor toilet. The stench was so bad I could never open the windows on that side of the house, ever. When I spoke to my neighbor about it she became very pissy saying she couldn't control her cat and there was nothing she could (read that 'would') do about it.

I left my car in my cousin's driveway with a window part way down one time. When pulling in the driveway after going out to eat, a cat was coming out of my car. I knew it was going to be bad. The cat had pissed on the carpet in the back, worst smell you can imagine. I tried everything to clean it but ended up having to cut out that section of carpet.

In more than one residence where I have lived, I've found dismembered birds in my yard from neighborhood cats. I've never understood why leash laws exist for dogs but never for cats.
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #26
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
I'm with Ralph. Almost every cat I ever owned (and I'm a crazy cat man) was a rescued stray or feral. They make the best companions, and I never see a mouse or rat around the barn.
This was looked into. The nearest agency was 25 miles away in a different county. And that is why they wanted to charge me for this. I can't blame them for this but if it would have been a set fee or I could see where my neighbor would quit feeding the cats, I would have gone in this direction. And then probably ended up trying to get my neighbors to "share" the cost.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #27
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Good for you! We, too, have rescued all our cats. In most cases, we have very little or no idea of their history at all.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #28
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
I'm very sorry to hear that.
Don’t......feel .....sorry.......
Old 02-09-2018, 01:55 PM   #29
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
These programs work great. Maybe you could get together with the neighbors and get this started. In Dallas they do this.

I’ve posted about my ferals I adopted in Dallas. They are doing great. But they are indoor cats now and have been over 3 years now. Total of 3 now....here’s 2
Very handsome looking puddies. The one on the left has a racoon kind of face. Very beautiful.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #30
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
It is a ****ing cat.

A cat.

Yeah, it's a ****ing cat. Got a ****ing problem with that? I thought not.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: