Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #16
arw629
First Time Gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
With lemon and butter?
Yes and I couldn't get the smell of crab and butter off my face for a few days ...the place was packed with people shoveling crab legs in their mouths...they also had prime rib, shrimp, and a handful of other options....the dessert options were excellent ...I had cheese cake and this oreo cookie cake that far exeded my expectations
arw629 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #17
AltonKelsey
Veteran

You want a pick 3 with a $5000 at best pool? Really? I don't think so.
AltonKelsey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #18
Elliott Sidewater

To Peter Berry and Mountainman - I really appreciate your candid replies, and wish you both a better ending to the 2017 meeting than the start. I've seen other tracks cancel whole cards due to lack of entries. It's to your credit that MNR did not do that. The show went on, but last night's card at MNR was kind of a shocker for me and my closest track is Parx, so the bar is not all that high.
Elliott Sidewater is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #19
Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post
Biggest misconception, big pools equal bigger payoffs. Totally untrue. Big pools equal fair payoffs. Small pools equal unfair payoffs. There is an advantage to be found.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 10:28 AM   #20
HalvOnHorseracing

The competition in the mid-east is reminiscent of a time when there were enough patrons and horses to populate the tracks. You have tracks in NJ, PA, MD, OH, WV, DEL, and KY often running the same sort of horse in the same sort of race. It's pretty stiff competition, and there isn't the same number of potential runners available. I'm not sure how long the situation can sustain under current conditions.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 10:41 AM   #21
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltonKelsey View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
Biggest misconception, big pools equal bigger payoffs. Totally untrue. Big pools equal fair payoffs. Small pools equal unfair payoffs. There is an advantage to be found.
Exactly, with small pools quite often you can get some astoundingly high pay-offs considering the odds of the horses. I don't think I have ever seen a pick 3 or pick 4 pay a 2 out of 3 or a 3 out of 4 at a major track, yet it happens all the time at smaller venues. That is a benefit of the small pool and some of the prices on those tickets have been pretty good. It was many years ago but I picked up over $600 on a 3 of 4 at EMD if my memory serves me right a couple $15 horses and a $30 one caused that pay out.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #22
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by arw629 View Post
Yes and I couldn't get the smell of crab and butter off my face for a few days ...the place was packed with people shoveling crab legs in their mouths...they also had prime rib, shrimp, and a handful of other options....the dessert options were excellent ...I had cheese cake and this oreo cookie cake that far exeded my expectations
can they send some of that food to Monmouth? Or at least the recipes???
Old 04-26-2017, 01:55 PM   #23
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlin View Post
I've always felt bigger payoffs were related to horse field sizes e.g., in 10 horse fields the payouts are usually greater for WPS than 4 -5 horse fields. I would think it would carry over to the exotics and probably also result in larger pools.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-26-2017, 06:53 PM   #24
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
Our field sizes will pick up now that our Ohio neighbor Mahoning Valley has closed and also the return of turf racing on May 1 should be a huge boost. That said, the small fields so far this meet have been disheartening and, yes, embarrassing. We are doing our best with the horse population available.
Try opening later next year?