Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-25-2020, 01:18 AM   #211
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayjf View Post
Did he in fact point the gun at the victim prior to the victim's attack? I didn't see that in the video that I watched.
I didn't see that either, but I'm not sure if that matters. A close friend of mine is a police officer. He told me if he was patrolling the neighborhood and had been alerted, he would not have drawn a firearm. Said it wasn't necessary because the kid was fleeing. Said it would be different had the young man been hiding. He thought the sticky part for the jury would be deciding if the younger McMichael was threatening enough for Arbery to engage in a fight, lending credence to what Light stated above.

Last edited by PressThePace; 05-25-2020 at 01:20 AM.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2020, 10:11 AM   #212
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I am not sure any citizen has the right to put another citizen into a fight or flight situation. "Used to be" a cop is not an excuse. He might "Used to" have not been a total idiot, too.

All three guys - murder 1.

No plea should be offered.
Only choice they should get is who gets the needle first.

We really NEED to execute this kind of people.

This whole deal is so NOT what the second amendment is about.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #213
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I don’t think they will plead to anything.

I think they are going to hope for a good ole boy or maybe two to be on the jury.
Change of venue seems to be in order - considering the obviously biased "justice" system of the area.

Pretty much no possible to have a fair trial in that city.
Old 05-25-2020, 10:55 AM   #214
delayjf

Quote:
He thought the sticky part for the jury would be deciding if the younger McMichael was threatening enough for Arbery to engage in a fight, lending credence to what Light stated above.
That's the part I get hung up on. Did Arbery actions contribute to his death. What instead if Arbery had gotten the gun away from McMichael and killed him. Could he claim self defense due to his responding to the threat of the gun?

Another issue, given the fight for the gun, do we know for sure who pulled the trigger?

Arbery's actions muddles this whole thing up, I'm guessing manslaughter.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-25-2020, 11:15 AM   #215
PressThePace

Quote:
That's the part I get hung up on. Did Arbery actions contribute to his death. What instead if Arbery had gotten the gun away from McMichael and killed him. Could he claim self defense due to his responding to the threat of the gun?

Another issue, given the fight for the gun, do we know for sure who pulled the trigger?

Yes, same here. It's why I started commenting in the first place. Nevertheless, the jury will have to decide if the firearms were even necessary. Personally, I don't think they were, given the circumstances. I believe the McMichael's were well within their rights until brandishing their firearms. And, I don't believe the McMichael's are grizzly murderers. Stupid, but not savage. Manslaughter seems likely. Sad, sad situation for all participants.
Old 05-25-2020, 11:37 AM   #216
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:

I would say if he had gotten the gun and killed the in-bred, it would have been self-defense.

Clearly the three guys set up the situation - that gives Abery carte-blanch in
the situation. THEY created it, THEY are at fault no matter what occurs.
I can see no situation where Arbery was guilty of anything or could have been.

3 Idiots starts something, they own it.
Now it's time to shoot the juice and be done with them.
They HAVE to be executed.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #217
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I would say if he had gotten the gun and killed the in-bred, it would have been self-defense.

Clearly the three guys set up the situation - that gives Abery carte-blanch in
the situation. THEY created it, THEY are at fault no matter what occurs.
I can see no situation where Arbery was guilty of anything or could have been.

3 Idiots starts something, they own it.
Now it's time to shoot the juice and be done with them.
They HAVE to be executed.
I'm not defending the actions of the McMichael's as the young man did nothing to merit his murder. But to say Arbery wasn't guilty of anything is absolutely incorrect....according to the law. If you enter an unoccupied dwelling, whether it's under construction or not, without permission, you can be charged with 2nd degree burglary, even if intent would be hard to prove. At the very least, trespassing did exist. The bottom line is the firearms were not needed.
Old 05-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #218
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

He did nothing to justify ANY shooting.
Old 05-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #219
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
He did nothing to justify ANY shooting.
I completely agree
Old 05-25-2020, 10:34 PM   #220
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
I don’t think they will plead to anything.

I think they are going to hope for a good ole boy or maybe two to be on the jury.
The city needs a conviction. Brunswick is a tourist area. They don’t need another Ferguson. They may not even offer a plea bargain.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:32 PM   #221
biggestal99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
The city needs a conviction. Brunswick is a tourist area. They don’t need another Ferguson. They may not even offer a plea bargain.
The city also wants this to go away.

That’s not incentive for tourists to come to the area knowing that armed ex law enforcement, get to hunt down people without repercussion for two months. It took a video to expose this crime to the light.

This was a federal crime also. I think the McMichaels and the other guy are in line for some heavy time in club fed.

Federal hate crimes.

Civil rights violations.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2020, 05:30 PM   #222
clicknow

Quote:
What instead if Arbery had gotten the gun away from McMichael and killed him. Could he claim self defense due to his responding to the threat of the gun?
But that didn't happen. Why bring this what-if into it when it didn't happen? This would represent an entirely different story with entirely different circumstances.

Quote:
If you are not armed in the first place, and you are placed into a position where you have to wrestle a weapon away from somebody who appears to want to use that weapon on you ( (in self defense) .........and gun goes off in the process killing YOU.......you think that makes you responsible for your own death?

No.

Arbery wasn't armed. We know this already.

And Tom is correct, he did nothing to justify ANY shooting.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-26-2020, 05:37 PM   #223
clicknow

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressThePace View Post
If you enter an unoccupied dwelling, whether it's under construction or not, without permission, you can be charged with 2nd degree burglary, even if intent would be hard to prove. At the very least, trespassing did exist.
I guess that leaves all kinds of things open.....for instance, an innocent paperboy, who, in the pouring rain (and in a neighborhood where he knows the occupants of the homes he delivers to) at risk for 'burglary' if he is so kind as to step a few feet into your garage door that is open, to place your paper out of the pouring rain.

I'm waiting for just THAT kind of tragedy to happen, and it probably will. Because kids don't think things out very clearly and are often innocent-minded. And if it's a black paperboy, in a good ol boy neighborhood, I wouldn't suggest taking that job in the first place. Sad but true.

Having just watched the video of the "Karen" who called the police on a black guy in central park for simply asking her to put her dog on a leash, and was filming (probably for his own safety for having spoken to her) she repeated, at least 4 times, that an "african american man was threatening her", she kept saying the african american word over and over again...while calling 911......as if because he had brown skin that would SOMEHOW make the police jump to the task quicker and would somehow assume that skin color would make this more of a threat? I don't know any white people who are that scared of somebody's skin color...unless they are racist to begin with. Do you?

Last edited by clicknow; 05-26-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:49 PM   #224
clicknow

By the way,, PressThePace, that last part of my post not directed to you or anyone in particular.

The fact that she was dangling the dog, choking it, and pretty much giving that poor dog cervical damage, while she was freaking out, made me automatically dislike her......like she was totally unaware that she had a LIVING BEING on the other end of the leash as she jerked that poor little pup around like he was a marshmallow on the end of a stick.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:55 PM   #225
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
By the way,, PressThePace, that last part of my post not directed to you or anyone in particular.

The fact that she was dangling the dog, choking it, and pretty much giving that poor dog cervical damage, while she was freaking out, made me automatically dislike her......like she was totally unaware that she had a LIVING BEING on the other end of the leash as she jerked that poor little pup around like he was a marshmallow on the end of a stick.
Hey, look. I take offense to very little. This board allows for civil discourse, of which I'm a fan. The things that spark much debate are often very polarizing, and who am I to believe my points of view merit more consideration than some more qualified to make opinions?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: