Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 04-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #61
thaskalos

I watched Denzel Washington's Devil in a Blue Dress last night.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:34 PM   #62
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Saw Bubble Boy last night, was...different...made for these times...I kinda liked it though.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0258470/

I saw BUBBLE BOY (w/Jake Gylenhall) It
was pretty good. The Seinfeld episode of the "bubble boy" was on the other day--that was hilarious.

I don't get the attraction to OZARK....and TIGER KING? Forget about it. I got a 30 day trial of Showtime--the only good movie on there was GREEN BOOK.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2020, 07:46 PM   #63
jk3521
Registered Loser

When Bubble Boy was mentioned , I thought you guy were talking about the TV movie way back with John Revolta. LOL
jk3521 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #64
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
When Bubble Boy was mentioned , I thought you guy were talking about the TV movie way back with John Revolta. LOL
I have a copy of that and might watch it tonight or tomorrow. The germ no defenses double. Bubble Boy is a comedy somewhat based on the Travolta TV Movie.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #65
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunForTheRoses View Post
Bubble Boy is a comedy somewhat based on the Travolta TV Movie.
Really, didn't know that!
Old 04-07-2020, 09:37 PM   #66
jk3521
Registered Loser

Another good made for TV movie was the 1983 film "The Day After" , a doomsday film about life after a nuclear holocoust . It scared the daylights out of America back then. It's on YouTube.

Old 05-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #67
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Found a streaming channel called Movieland TV has some really good flicks on it... commercial free.

Watched The Sting and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot the other day.

See they have The Great Escape, The Sand Pebble and Pale Rider which I'll likely view soon. About 200 movies on it right now.

I found it thru Roku... just thought I'd share
This channel been adding some more good ones...

Phar Lap... Clockwork Orange... Apocalypse Now... Tron... Soylent Green to name a few.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:31 PM   #68
Actor
Librocubicularist

The Man Who Never Was

The Dam Busters

I had to buy both these from Amazon since it seems to be impossible to rent them or get them on any streaming service. Well worth the price.

The Man Who Never Was is the true story of a British operation to deceive the German's during WWII. A British submarine dropped a dead body off the coast of Spain. The body was wearing a British uniform and had a briefcase handcuffed to it with papers detailing Allied plans to invade Greece instead of Sicily. It also had lots of personal stuff in the pockets including a letter from a girlfriend. The plan was originally suggested by Ian Fleming who later would write the James Bond books, but Fleming was not told the plan was actually being carried out. The movie does depart from fact in one detail. In the movie the body was of a man who died of pneumonia. In reality he died of suicide by poison. Doctors assured the planners that an autopsy would not reveal that the man had not drowned.

The Dam Busters is about a British attack on the dams of the Ruhr Valley in Germany by the RAF using "bouncing bombs" designed by Barnes Wallace, the inventor of the "tall boy" bomb and designer of the Lancaster bomber. The bombs would bounce over anti-torpedo nets, come to rest against the dam, then sink to a precise depth and be triggered by a pressure sensor. George Lucas used footage from this movie to design shots of the attack against the death star in Star Wars.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:04 AM   #69
jk3521
Registered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
Found a streaming channel called Movieland TV has some really good flicks on it... commercial free.

Watched The Sting and Thunderbolt and Lightfoot the other day.

See they have The Great Escape, The Sand Pebble and Pale Rider which I'll likely view soon. About 200 movies on it right now.

I found it thru Roku... just thought I'd share
Removed from Roku. I knew it wouldn't last !

Last edited by jk3521; 06-22-2020 at 05:09 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:02 AM   #70
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I watched Denzel Washington's Devil in a Blue Dress last night.
Denzel is a very good actor. I like many of his movies.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-22-2020, 08:32 AM   #71
RunForTheRoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3521 View Post
Another good made for TV movie was the 1983 film "The Day After" , a doomsday film about life after a nuclear holocoust . It scared the daylights out of America back then. It's on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iyy9n8r16hs
As part of my post-apocalyptic movie viewing watched this a couple of weeks ago. Held up very well. Had seen it when it came out. I want to re-watch the post show again with Carl Sagan, William F Buckley and others:

Two most recent watches for me were both thumbs up:

The Straight Story

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Straight_Story

and Clint's Unforgiven, probably a lot of y'all have seen that one.
RunForTheRoses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2020, 03:22 AM   #72
Actor
Librocubicularist

Time Travel Movies

• Timerider
  • Predestination

The plot of Timerider is that the government is developing a time machine. As part of this project they set up their time machine in the middle of a desert and then stand back to activate it remotely. Enter our hero who is riding a motorcycle in some kind of race and he's lost. He stops right next to the machine just as it goes off. He rides away not realizing that he's now 100 years in the past.

Siskel and Ebert gave this move thumbs down for two reasons, neither of which is fair. First, they point out that our hero never figures out that he's been zapped back in time. Really? He's unaware that he rode past a time machine, so which is more logical? "Gee, I've been zapped back in time by a century!" or "Boy, I've fallen in with some real hicks!" Obviously that latter makes more sense.

The second unfair criticism is that at the beginning of the movie he's wearing a necklace. This gets left in the past when he gets returned to the present. But the necklace is a family heirloom that he inherited. Which means that the necklace is a thing which was never made. The criticism is unfair because "the thing that was never made" appears in many time travel movies. An excellent example is from The Terminator. Although the scene is cut from the movie the DVD extras include a scene where technicians from Cyberdyne Systems extract a chip from the terminator's crushed skull. The chip is a thing that was never made.

Spoiler Alert! Our hero from Timerider is his own great grandfather!

As for Predestination I consider it to be the best time-travel movie ever. To tell you anything about it would be to give away the entire movie. (Sorry!) Trust me. I will tell you this much. It has "the thing that was never made" in spades.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:36 PM   #73
davew

the DUNE remake could be my next live movie theater experience (12/18/2020)

davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2020, 01:22 AM   #74
fast4522

A Hidden Life 2019.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-12-2020, 03:40 AM   #75
crestridge
Paladin & Fudge

"The Elephant Man" with Anthony Hopkins...touching movie..
crestridge is online now   Reply With Quote Reply