Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 12-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #2686
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
What part of the "Old Testament" Scriptures, don't you get? Jesus quoted very often from those scriptures
That wasn't the point discussed. The point discussed was YOU said Jesus was a Bible Thumper and I say the Bible that you thump was not invented yet. The Canon was not closed. Many books were excluded. Words were changed. Versions were different. What don't you get?

Quote:
Your god is "beyond" words because he's an idol that you have created in your sinful mind. He cannot speak. He cannot see. He cannot hear. He can't do anything because he isn't real.
Only superficial followers of God rely on what they see and hear. The wise know that illusions of the senses is easily accomplished especially in fools.

God is not a word or thought, God is an experience.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2019, 02:56 PM   #2687
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post

But atheists do not claim that there is no god, rather they make the observation that there is no evidence that any deity exists. The burden of proof lies with the one making the claim.
The definition of an Atheist is a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods. Not someone who demands proof.

What you say describes an agnostic. Someone who is OPEN to the possibility that God exists.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:03 PM   #2688
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I go to the Greek Orthodox church...and I keep hearing the priest mechanically parroting the same words in the indecipherable archaic Greek language that 95% of the population no longer understand. And the people around me are sitting there in sheer boredom...while giving glances to their watches to see when the ordeal will finally end.

Sad...
The essence of God is Love and I find that to be the biggest lack in religious gatherings
Old 12-30-2019, 03:23 PM   #2689
Light
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post

I believe Actor may be objecting to mostly the knee-jerk beliefs put forth by the literal minded interpretation of western religious thought.
I have always wondered whether Atheists disbelieve in a spiritual (non religious) God as well as a religious God.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #2690
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
I have always wondered whether Atheists disbelieve in a spiritual (non religious) God as well as a religious God.
I think the Atheists reject the entire idea that some "essence" of man survives death...so, their disbelief covers both the spiritual AND the religious God. It's a pretty tough argument to dispute...logically speaking.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:08 PM   #2691
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Your claim in #2668 is "The Pentateuch was written around 3,500 years ago." My question was "How do you know that?" Apologetics Press does not address that question. Rather it is an army of straw men. For example Apologetics Press addresses "The Documentary Hypothesis", i.e., the thesis that Moses did not write the Pentateuch. While that may be an interesting topic it does not address my question of "how you know when" the Pentateuch was written.
Old 12-30-2019, 04:16 PM   #2692
thaskalos

Have the "biblical experts" come into agreement that Moses even EXISTED?

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/w...4.5130043.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...as-moses-real/

Last edited by thaskalos; 12-30-2019 at 04:19 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-30-2019, 04:44 PM   #2693
thaskalos

http://www.astrotheologyzone.com/the-moses-fraud.html
Old 12-30-2019, 06:58 PM   #2694
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light View Post
That wasn't the point discussed. The point discussed was YOU said Jesus was a Bible Thumper and I say the Bible that you thump was not invented yet. The Canon was not closed. Many books were excluded. Words were changed. Versions were different. What don't you get?
It is you who are dense. The OT scriptures existed BEFORE the advent of Jesus Christ! And not only did he recognize those scriptures but so did the vast majority of Jews during his day.

And the "many books" that were excluded were those not generally recognized because they were not divinely inspired.

Quote:
Only superficial followers of God rely on what they see and hear. The wise know that illusions of the senses is easily accomplished especially in fools.

God is not a word or thought, God is an experience.
Again, Jesus is God's Word incarnate! Why can't you believe your supposed "best friend" when he says that speaks to his disciples whatever he hears from his Father?

I know you think you're a god and that you're more enlightened than the only begotten Son of God, but this only proves how easily fools deceive themselves.

Jesus never taught that heaven and earth will pass away but that the God experience won't.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #2695
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Your claim in #2668 is "The Pentateuch was written around 3,500 years ago." My question was "How do you know that?" Apologetics Press does not address that question. Rather it is an army of straw men. For example Apologetics Press addresses "The Documentary Hypothesis", i.e., the thesis that Moses did not write the Pentateuch. While that may be an interesting topic it does not address my question of "how you know when" the Pentateuch was written.
Learn to read! AP did address the issue -- just not the way you thought they would. Moses wrote the Pentateuch before Israel had any kings! David was born around 1000 BC and he wasn't even the first king. He was the second.

There's plenty of material on the web about King David.
Old 12-30-2019, 07:07 PM   #2696
boxcar

Quote:
Those skeptics' sites are toxic. They'll poison your mind, soul, heart and spirit.

I bet you never knew that you secretly harbor in the depths of your soul such a [second] death wish, did you?
Old 12-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #2697
thaskalos

Quote:
Those skeptics' sites are toxic. They'll poison your mind, soul, heart and spirit.

I bet you never knew that you secretly harbor in the depths of your soul such a [second] death wish, did you?
In religion...nothing is certain. Everything is very much in doubt. That's why the believer needs "faith". The more "certain" something is...the less "faith" it requires.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:15 AM   #2698
boxcar

Quote:
In religion...nothing is certain. Everything is very much in doubt. That's why the believer needs "faith". The more "certain" something is...the less "faith" it requires.
Not true! The core of biblical faith is trust. And rational trust involves knowing the object of one's trust. Therefore, the better one knows someone, the stronger the trust becomes. The more certain we become in that knowledge, the more we trust -- not less!

Jer 17:7
7 "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord
And whose trust is the Lord.

NASB

Last edited by boxcar; 12-31-2019 at 07:17 AM.
boxcar is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-31-2019, 09:35 AM   #2699
hcap

Quote:
Not true! The core of biblical faith is trust. And rational trust involves knowing the object of one's trust. Therefore, the better one knows someone, the stronger the trust becomes. The more certain we become in that knowledge, the more we trust -- not less!

Jer 17:7
7 "Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord
And whose trust is the Lord.

NASB
Why should we believe you know anything? Your record here on everything has been abysmal. I would think your god would throw you a bone occasionally.

One single element of truth.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #2700
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Why should we believe you know anything? Your record here on everything has been abysmal. I would think your god would throw you a bone occasionally.

One single element of truth.
You have a Happy New Year, as well! I fully get it that you cannot distinguish between blind (irrational) faith and sighted (rational) faith, just like you cannot never the difference between logical and chronological order.