Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 36 votes, 4.78 average.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 PM   #661
picojim

Ed Burgart @qheddie
Worst call I've made. I will admit.

Ed Burgart @qheddie
I will be redoing the audio of Great Lady M for TVG.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:37 PM   #662
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Ed Burgart has had a very tough time at Los Al today, maybe he gets exhausted after 4.5f?
I noticed that too. It sounded like he was running out of words.
Ahh, he'll pick it up. No worries
Old 07-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #663
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingal
I believe as an announcer you're supposed to follow silks, not saddle cloths.
Race announcing has always been interesting to me. I thought at one time I may go down that road. Never really pursued it though. One thing I discovered...it's TOUGH....Especially with large fields of 10 or more.
There is no "supposed to" in race calling.
There are times when two or more riders have the same dominant color jacket. The only difference being perhaps a letter or initials on the front or back. Or the cap may be a different color.
Was watching replays of Belmont today. There were three with the dominant color of the jacket being yellow with various types of kelly green trim.
That's where announcers may handicap the field to determine horses most likely to be at the front early or which ones will race toward the back of the pack.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:52 AM   #664
martini

I've been impressed by Ed's calls over the years. He does a great job.

But with his blown calls earlier today, it was clear that he was looking at saddle cloths and not the silks. I didn't tune into the quarters tonight, but isn't he pulling double shifts? That is a long day, and makes it hard to learn it all.

We are all entitled to a bad day. He is very, very good, IMO.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #665
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini

But with his blown calls earlier today, it was clear that he was looking at saddle cloths and not the silks. I didn't tune into the quarters tonight, but isn't he pulling double shifts? That is a long day, and makes it hard to learn it all.

If anyone can find me a person who is at the top of their game every day, God bless them...
It flat out does not happen. We have our streaks and slumps.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #666
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini

Eddie B had a GOLDEN opportunity in the 7th today at Los Al, he gave the "can do nothing wrong" call to Van Dyke who won another race and he could have said "unlike me, he can do nothing wrong" that would have been classic.
Old 07-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #667
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
Eddie B had a GOLDEN opportunity in the 7th today at Los Al, he gave the "can do nothing wrong" call to Van Dyke who won another race and he could have said "unlike me, he can do nothing wrong" that would have been classic.
Yeah, then you'd be bitching that he made the race all about him and you don't want color commentary and all that frivolous stuff, just the facts... right?

-Robert James Smith, 1989
Old 07-13-2014, 08:44 PM   #668
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Yeah, then you'd be bitching that he made the race all about him and you don't want color commentary and all that frivolous stuff, just the facts... right?
I've never been critical of a race announcer making it about him, i didn't criticize Durkin for his Birdstone call, didn't criticize Trevor for his Zenyatta BC Classic call and didn't criticize Vic's earthquake call where he said "racing is MY first love".

Wrong.

Good DAY sir.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #669
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
I've never been critical of a race announcer making it about him, i didn't criticize Durkin for his Birdstone call, didn't criticize Trevor for his Zenyatta BC Classic call and didn't criticize Vic's earthquake call where he said "racing is MY first love".

Wrong.

Good DAY sir.
Yet, they aren't allowed to speculate about a move a horse might be making because you don't want to get your hopes up or something... and then something else about not misleading you when you are on the toilet...

Alright, it's tough keeping track of the minutia in your requirements of race callers.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 PM   #670
jballscalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhannibalsmith
Yet, they aren't allowed to speculate about a move a horse might be making because you don't want to get your hopes up or something... and then something else about not misleading you when you are on the toilet...

Alright, it's tough keeping track of the minutia in your requirements of race callers.
I"ve talked to at least 7 or 8 racecallers about SRU's announcer comments. He's not popular in announcer's circles LOL
Old 07-20-2014, 09:11 PM   #671
Stillriledup
Veteran

Denman. Nice call in Race 9 today.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:27 PM   #672
affirmedny

Quote:
Denman. Nice call in Race 9 today.
Not the first time, been happening the last few days. He can't seem to tell who is in front in the stretch.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:34 PM   #673
Stillriledup
Veteran

There's officially a worse announcer. Not sure who was calling the races at Turf Paradise today, but that was ugly, Grunder officially not the worst.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #674
jballscalls

I always panic when I see this thread bumped on days I call races!
Old 10-29-2014, 11:31 PM   #675
johnhannibalsmith

Quote:
There's officially a worse announcer. Not sure who was calling the races at Turf Paradise today, but that was ugly, Grunder officially not the worst.
That was old Richard Strauss I think. Believe it or not there actually was a racing radio show that aired and he hosted right at the track not long ago and he's filled in as announcer before. I think it's safe to say that he doesn't get a lot of practice between gigs.

Closed Thread