Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:48 AM   #1
ghostyapper

Breeders cup expands to 2 days

I didn't know this was a serious consideration but looks like now its official. The one good thing is the 3 new races they are adding are all on the first day, with the traditional BC races still being run together.

The new races are

Juvenile Turf
Filly and mare sprint
Dirt mile run at 1 mile and 70 yards.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/hor...ory?id=2723725
ghostyapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
kenwoodallpromos

Note

It is interesting to note that 3 of the 6 new races will be for 2 yr olds.
kenwoodallpromos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 11:47 AM   #3
kenwoodallpromos

Looking at the old thread "new BC races"

I swear the racing industry is reading and taking ideas from Paceadvantage's "General Racing" forum!!
Old 01-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #4
kenwoodallpromos

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenwoodallpromos
It is interesting to note that 3 of the 6 new races will be for 2 yr olds.
And that Avioli says the races, including the sonn-to-be 7f felmale sprint, will "help fill some holes"!LOL!!
________
"09-02-2006, 03:47 AM #6
kenwoodallpromos

vCash: 1300 Fill in the gap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fill in the gap with a 7f dirt mare and filly.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
Bubbles
Frontrunner

It's about time they added a filly and mare sprint. Very few fillies and mares can sprint with the big boys (exceptions, of course, include Safely Kept and Xtra Heat).

I don't think the dirt mile was entirely necessary (NYRA is probably mad; it may take some of the meaning off the Cigar Mile), but the 2YO turf race was another nice add.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #6
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I'm glad they added the 2yo turf. This will be a nice complement to the 3yo series that Colonial and Arlington has developed and will help to bring more international horses to these shores. The other 2 I really don't care about to be honest. I know the mile is a popular one, but it will gut the Cigar Mile to be sure, but then again several historic races have already been killed by the BC, but I think in interest of the sport it may be better to have the focus more on BC day than spread thin everywhere. The only thing I would have really wished for would be a true stayers event, 2m turf. Turf seems on the upswing these days so maybe we will get back there. Just glad there isn't a turf sprint....
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 02:33 PM   #7
ceejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
Just glad there isn't a turf sprint....
That's one I would have liked!
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
44PACE

A second day for the Breeders cup is like the 2nd day for the NFL draft, it just doesn't compare to day 1. If they want to add 3 races put it with the others, lots of tracks have more than 9 races per day. The breeders cup is a special day, it gets all the media attention, how much coverage would day 2 get ? maybe none, also the breeders cup is run on a saturday, who wants 3 races on a sunday when the football season is just picking up steam.Bad idea.
44PACE is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 03:51 PM   #9
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyapper
Juvenile Turf
Filly and mare sprint
Dirt mile run at 1 mile and 70 yards.
Quote:
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/news/story?id=2723725

... In addition to the three new Breeders' Cup World Championships races, there will be three other stakes races on the card funded by the Breeders' Cup and each of the three races will carry a purse of $250,000. They are: a 1 1/16-miles race for 3-year-old fillies; a 1-mile turf race for 2-year-old fillies and a six-furlong sprint for 2-year-olds. Total purses for the 10-race card on Breeders' Cup Friday will be $4 million, making it the second-richest racing day in North America.
I think either of the two bolded additional stakes would have have been preferable as a BC event to the F&M Sprint. What I find troubling about such a race is is that it dilutes the competition of the BC Sprint where F&Ms are already competitive. Let's be sure to add Very Subtle to Bubble's list.

IMO a better option would have been an open BC 7f on dirt even with the new BC Mile on dirt (which I'd have preferred to be at the more commonly run 1-1/16 m in 2007). There have been many top class horses who can't beat the best at 6f, but were virtually unbeatable at 7f. Birdonawire and Langfuhr come to mind immediately. Honest Lady could have bested the boys at 7f.

The Cigar might become even more popular as a champion-confirming race for the new mile division much as the DeFrancis supported Thor's Echo's credentials for an Eclipse Award. Certainly the Met Mile winner should receive an automatic berth in the new BC race.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
BIG RED
Son O'War

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44PACE
A second day for the Breeders cup is like the 2nd day for the NFL draft, it just doesn't compare to day 1. If they want to add 3 races put it with the others, lots of tracks have more than 9 races per day. The breeders cup is a special day, it gets all the media attention, how much coverage would day 2 get ? maybe none, also the breeders cup is run on a saturday, who wants 3 races on a sunday when the football season is just picking up steam.Bad idea.
I, myself, am not crazy about 2days. A lot of people work friday afternoons too. They could easilly make a whole day of it saturday.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #11
Indulto
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED
I, myself, am not crazy about 2days. A lot of people work friday afternoons too. They could easilly make a whole day of it saturday.
It seems to me the three new races would have to be run at night for maximum exposure on a Friday -- probably starting at 9:00 PM EST for a prime-time Pick Three. If the weather is good, it should be great for the local economy.

In fact, why not swap the Juvenile Filly and Distaff for the new Juvenile Turf and Dirt Mile and make Friday Ladies Night.

BTW the single best promotion to increase on-track attendance outside the BC might be to either not charge admission for women or else give them a bet-only wager voucher. It might be interesting to see if there was a simultaneous increase in cross-dressing.
Indulto is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #12
The Judge

Glad They Are Listening

Now if we can get them to follow instructions. No, as long as they are trying .I would have a different list of races and I am not thrilled with two days but I am willing to give it a chance.

Don't forget Soviet Problem.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
BIG RED
Son O'War

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge
Don't forget Soviet Problem.
Man that horse was fast!
Old 01-08-2007, 05:43 PM   #14
Snow Chief

i just worry that these races will take out some of the interesting horses that would run on saturday. Would johannesburg or arazi have run in the BC Juv? Would safely kept have tried the sprint? (especially if she would have only been eligible for an eclipse award as champion F&M Sprinter). I would think these races would be better 3 weeks before the BC than the day before, but who knows. More categories, eclipse or BC, dilute competition on the racetrack which is already diluted enough.

Also what about grading? They are clearly meant as "cut below" races, are they going to be G2?
Snow Chief is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

The Dirt Mile. Run over a mile and seventy yards.
Duh?
How about the Turf Sprint, run over a mile on dirt?

A 1m70 race for 3yo and up is rather redundant, as they already have a dirt route.

Two days - one beingn a Friday.....I think the idea sucks wind. Cut out Muttonchops and all the stupid celebrity interviews and the whole card fits in one day.

NFL pathway - dilute the product unitl it is just plain dull and boring.

DRF gets to sell you two papers now?

Last edited by Tom; 01-08-2007 at 08:19 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: