Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-30-2021, 10:11 PM   #16
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I somehow got the impression that ALL the foreign racing featured co-mingled pools...and I recently became quite enamored with Australian racing. To the point where I invested considerable time studing some past-performances with speed figures which I found at Twinspires. And I created the sort of handicapping system which inspired me enough to make some fairly decent win wagers on those races. The thing that amazed me was that the odds of whichever horse I happened to wager upon would nosedive substantially on the tote board right after I bet it. I initially attributed this to my own handicapping expertise...which was obviously (or so I thought) focusing on the "live" horses that the 'smart money' was subsequently isolating upon. And then I checked the size of the wagering pools...only to discover that the subsequent betting action was all ME.
I don't believe the Aussie pools have ever been co-mingled here in North America, and I believe at one time they went through Woodbine as a "North American pool only" - not sure if that's still the case, but the pools are definitely local and small, no matter what hub is hosting them.

Before the Feds cracked down on my offshore transfer of funds, I had an account with IASBETS that allowed me to to get the odds much closer to those down under - and it was fun to shop for the best price between the pools. But alas, no more. What's more, now New Zealand racing has come under the local "NA pool" only, and are tiny compared to when they were previously co-mingled.

Fortunately for me, I don't bet BIG like you do Thask, so the smaller pools are not so bad. You'll need to move on to Hong Kong the way you bet to not budge the pools with your prime wagers. But it's a different game there too, and takes while to learn - where Aussie and Japan racing are closer to what we have....
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2021, 10:03 AM   #17
classhandicapper

Quote:
And then I checked the size of the wagering pools...only to discover that the subsequent betting action was all ME.
That's at least excusable.

I knew a guy that used to hang out at the Queens OTBs. He used to bet around 2k to win per race. That would be no problem except that he used to do it at some of the smallest tracks in the US. Then after the race he would complain loudly that every horse he bets goes off the favorite. This went on for quite awhile. So I explained what was going on to help him. He dismissed me and went on some rant. So I just started paying attention to what he was betting and making small bets on the 2nd choice blindly. He eventually disappeared, along with a lot of his money I assume.
Old 05-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #18
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
I don't believe the Aussie pools have ever been co-mingled here in North America, and I believe at one time they went through Woodbine as a "North American pool only" - not sure if that's still the case, but the pools are definitely local and small, no matter what hub is hosting them.

Before the Feds cracked down on my offshore transfer of funds, I had an account with IASBETS that allowed me to to get the odds much closer to those down under - and it was fun to shop for the best price between the pools. But alas, no more. What's more, now New Zealand racing has come under the local "NA pool" only, and are tiny compared to when they were previously co-mingled.

Fortunately for me, I don't bet BIG like you do Thask, so the smaller pools are not so bad. You'll need to move on to Hong Kong the way you bet to not budge the pools with your prime wagers. But it's a different game there too, and takes while to learn - where Aussie and Japan racing are closer to what we have....
there are other adw's throughout the world that the money goes into the Australian pools....

Australia has a great product!
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2021, 02:46 AM   #19
Que

Most honest report ever written on horse racing--especially Part 6. Unfortunately this was the reason I stopped wagering on horse racing many years ago. Once inegrity is lost, and insecurity is established it is very difficult to regain. At this time I'd rather bet on point-to-point WTA tennis.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #20
classhandicapper

I saw an interesting case this weekend. The horse was a contender with some speed, but not a lock to get the lead. The horse broke well, got the lead, the odds came down on the last flash, and he went off the favorite and won. No big deal. We see that all the time. But I noticed something I never considered before. The horse went off the favorite in the win pool, but the original favorite came in second and paid much less to place and show than the winner. That means the original favorite remained the favorite in those other pools. That suggests that the very big late bet was just to win and not late money coming in to correct multiple pools. To me, that either makes it more suspicious or it means there may be value in the place/show pools in these situations.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 11-21-2021 at 09:43 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply