Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-24-2021, 06:50 PM   #31
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
40 year old building... had first stage on re-inspection completed.
My guess is they would start in the basement look at the foundations. But who know in the Bizzaro World we been in I guess they could of started with the roof.
Yeah, I heard it was recently in the process of being inspected.

Perfect cover for whatever they needed to do...you know...if conspiracy land were real...
Old 06-24-2021, 07:14 PM   #32
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OntheRail View Post
40 year old building... had first stage on re-inspection completed.
My guess is they would start in the basement look at the foundations. But who know in the Bizzaro World we been in I guess they could of started with the roof.
building codes along the ocean have changed through the years.. depending upon the height of the structuresm, today you have to build reinforced beams t deep down below sea level that will reinforce the foundations for the buildings.

lots of people knew for many years that something like this could happen to the older structures. its very sad to see this happen,
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2021, 07:20 PM   #33
fast4522

I heard it said the building was 40 years old, what might be is a accumulate effect for such a failure. When contracts for a pour of concrete are done there are strength numbers associated with the pour that include reinforcement steel. Those areas are the first place people try to steal moneys from a big project. Other failure considerations might include footings and how much has to be driven into the land to support the height and weight. One thing is for sure, they will figure out what happened.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-24-2021, 07:39 PM   #34
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

“The 2020 study conducted by FIU Institute of Environment Professor Shimon Wdowinski identified the 12-story Champlain Towers South condominium as the one place on the east side of the barrier island where land subsidence was detected from 1993 to 1999,” FIU said in a post on its website. “But land subsidence in and of itself likely would not cause a building’s collapse, according to Wdowinski, an expert in space geodesy, natural hazards and sea level rise.”

https://www.local10.com/news/local/2...site-in-1990s/
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2021, 11:36 AM   #35
lamboguy

so far the initial reports coming out are blaming the building sinking and not recieving needed structural updates.. what i saw on television are plenty of cheap cinder blocks.. that is pretty bazaar to to see on structures that tall in flood zones.

i live in a home that is over 120 years old today.. the bottom of my building is built with re-inforced pudding stones. my property was originally built and habited by a United States Senator, sho seems like he didn't cut any corners building the structure. i did have a problem about 25. years ago with a cement ceiling that collapsed in my 6 car garage. all the cars were ruined by the collapse of the cement. as luck would have it, this happened 1 hour after i passed papers buying the house and i was responsible for all the damage done to the garage and the cars in it.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #36
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhaney0423 View Post
I didn't know you followed my posts, I appreciate it! I have no doubt you are much smarter than I. To me its refreshing to not be so smart, life is so much easier this way. Carry on.
It isn't very hard to follow your posts. They are infrequent...and EXACTLY as I described. Don't hate because some people actually pay attention.

And trust me...I plan to carry on. Find somebody else to pick with.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:11 PM   #37
Marshall Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
so far the initial reports coming out are blaming the building sinking and not recieving needed structural updates.. what i saw on television are plenty of cheap cinder blocks.. that is pretty bazaar to to see on structures that tall in flood zones.

i live in a home that is over 120 years old today.. the bottom of my building is built with re-inforced pudding stones. my property was originally built and habited by a United States Senator, sho seems like he didn't cut any corners building the structure. i did have a problem about 25. years ago with a cement ceiling that collapsed in my 6 car garage. all the cars were ruined by the collapse of the cement. as luck would have it, this happened 1 hour after i passed papers buying the house and i was responsible for all the damage done to the garage and the cars in it.
Seen any ghost?
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #38
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Number of missing rose to 159 overnight.
Terrible thing.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:04 PM   #39
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

"During their last conversation, she told him that strange creaking noises in her building had kept her awake but he told her not to worry."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...merge-n1272374
Old 06-25-2021, 07:18 PM   #40
tbwinner

tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #41
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

"June 26 (Reuters) - A consultant had warned three years before the deadly collapse of a South Florida condominium building that there was evidence of "major structural damage" to the concrete slab below the pool deck and abundant cracking and crumbling in the underground parking garage, the New York Times reported early on Saturday."
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/eng...yt-2021-06-26/
Old 06-26-2021, 09:36 AM   #42
Secondbest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj View Post
"June 26 (Reuters) - A consultant had warned three years before the deadly collapse of a South Florida condominium building that there was evidence of "major structural damage" to the concrete slab below the pool deck and abundant cracking and crumbling in the underground parking garage, the New York Times reported early on Saturday."
I wonder if any of that was told to the people who lived there.
Secondbest is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2021, 11:28 AM   #43
tbwinner

Honestly this could happen to a lot more buildings in the near future. Wasn't there a big condo and townhome boom in the 80s and 90s? A lot of these are approaching 40 years old and likely not well maintained.
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2021, 12:07 PM   #44
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augenj View Post
I see huge lawsuits on the immediate horizon. And watch the insurance companies squawk.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:25 AM   #45
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
I see huge lawsuits on the immediate horizon. And watch the insurance companies squawk.
Insurance companies carry insurance against excessive claims, i.e., they lay off the bet. In turn companies that sell excess claims policies lay off those bets. At the top of this pyramid is Lloyds of London which is so big that things like this building collapse are small change.

Last edited by Actor; 06-27-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: