Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #16
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay68802 View Post
I am a self proclaimed lawn mower repair expert. I fixed and re-fixed one of my mowers 4 times last year and one time this year. I can fix and then re-fix any mower, I am very good at doing this. The best thing is that I have now spent $125.00 on fixing and re-fixing my mower. I feel it is a wise investment because I can buy a new one for $200.00.

Believe me... this crossed my mind. My mower is about 7 years old. I bought a pretty good one because the cheap ones I bought at Home Depot only lasted about two years. So the extra 200 I spent on this one was worth it. A new one costs $350 and might be cheaper than the $40 in parts plus the time spent fixing it.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 01:13 PM   #17
OntheRail

Your drive belt is 89"x5/8... you have any (TSC) Tractor Supply Company or Farm & Fleet type stores in your area you can most likely get one that size from them or Napa as mentioned by others. Me I'm heading out to get a 91"x1/2... it went right after I rebuilt the starter, but I'll keep fixing my Simplicity 5612 it may be old but it's built like a tank.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 PM   #18
jay68802

My old mower would run with a full tank of gas and then die and not start after running a while. New spark plug, rebuilt carb, new spark plug wire, new springs for carb. Still would not stay running. Ends up the pressed plastic gas tank had some very small leaks at the seam, and when the gas would get below the seam, there was no air pressure to force the gas into the carb.
jay68802 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #19
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
I am a self proclaimed lawn mower repair expert. I fixed and re-fixed one of my mowers 4 times last year and one time this year. I can fix and then re-fix any mower, I am very good at doing this. The best thing is that I have now spent $125.00 on fixing and re-fixing my mower. I feel it is a wise investment because I can buy a new one for $200.00.
Okay, here's a question for JaysLawnmowerGarage Guy. We repossessed a 12hp Agway lawn tractor from my soon to be ex-SIL. He was a Pr_ _k and threw the key away. Can I just hook up a button starter on it, since we're not worried about anyone stealing it? When my daughter finds her own place, the plan is she has a lawn mower then.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:21 PM   #20
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Buy a Toro or Honda.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 02:32 PM   #21
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Okay, here's a question for JaysLawnmowerGarage Guy. We repossessed a 12hp Agway lawn tractor from my soon to be ex-SIL. He was a Pr_ _k and threw the key away. Can I just hook up a button starter on it, since we're not worried about anyone stealing it? When my daughter finds her own place, the plan is she has a lawn mower then.

You will need a push button for the starter and an on-off toggle switch for power on. So two switches if you go the key less route.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #22
OntheRail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosonfirst View Post
Lawn mower/yard equipment keys are pretty generic... try one from another it should work... or snowblower if you have one. or look on ebay.. should be cheap buck of two most.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:33 PM   #23
jay68802

JaysLawnmowerGarageGuy says to buy a new battery, this is the obvious problem. I also consulted Guido's Lawnmower Repo Service and they say to break the pr##ks legs. Good luck.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #24
highnote

Quote:
My old mower would run with a full tank of gas and then die and not start after running a while. New spark plug, rebuilt carb, new spark plug wire, new springs for carb. Still would not stay running. Ends up the pressed plastic gas tank had some very small leaks at the seam, and when the gas would get below the seam, there was no air pressure to force the gas into the carb.
Did you have to replace the tank?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #25
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
Did you have to replace the tank?
Just some sealant on the seam.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #26
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
You will need a push button for the starter and an on-off toggle switch for power on. So two switches if you go the key less route.
...says the former car thief...

Just kidding. I used to have an old Renault -- an R6. We lost the key. We disconnected the wires from the key thingy and would just have to touch the correct two together and it would start. They didn't have to stay touching. Fortunately, if the wrong two were touched together nothing bad happened. But it always took two or three times to get the right combination as I could never remember which wires they were.

My point is... do you think you'd have to have a button and a toggle switch?
Old 05-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #27
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Buy a Toro or Honda.
The engine on my Husqvarna is a Honda. That's why I bought it. I had bought about 3 or 4 cheap mowers from Home Depot that had Briggs and Strattan motors. I got what I paid for -- a disposable mower.

The Honda has started every time on the first pull for about 7 years now. I don't even take very good care of it and often forget to change the oil. It just runs like it's new.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #28
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote View Post
...says the former car thief...

Just kidding. I used to have an old Renault -- an R6. We lost the key. We disconnected the wires from the key thingy and would just have to touch the correct two together and it would start. They didn't have to stay touching. Fortunately, if the wrong two were touched together nothing bad happened. But it always took two or three times to get the right combination as I could never remember which wires they were.

My point is... do you think you'd have to have a button and a toggle switch?

The ignition has to stay on some how. I broke a key off in an old Datsun King Cab, I used an on-off switch for the ignition and push button for the starter. Fortunately it happened after work as I was leaving and I worked for an electric wholesale house. How you started the Renault that way makes no sense without the ignition also being on. How did you turn it off?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #29
paulbenny

mower

A lot of these mowers are made by the same company and the parts are interchangeable. I just messed up putting a pull cord replacement on an old mower and realized this. It is an educated guess, between MTD, Sears (Craftsman) etc. You have the part number so that should be fine.
paulbenny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 AM   #30
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbenny View Post
A lot of these mowers are made by the same company and the parts are interchangeable. I just messed up putting a pull cord replacement on an old mower and realized this. It is an educated guess, between MTD, Sears (Craftsman) etc. You have the part number so that should be fine.
It turns out, the part numbers changed. I found the part numbers I needed from my owner's manual, but couldn't find them on the internet.

So I looked at a manual for my mower that was in a pdf on the Husqvarna website. All the part numbers had changed.

Why would they change the part numbers?

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: