Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #1
andtheyreoff

Loooch Firster Denied Entry Into the Breeders' Cup

Sounds like nothing more than an attention-seeking move to me. Thoughts?

http://www.drf.com/news/paolucci-fir...y-breeders-cup
Old 10-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
lamboguy

it seems that Looch made a very bad choice in trainers, he should have respected his own list and gone to one of those guys and he would not have had any problem at all entering the horse and would not have to go through with this lawsuit that he is threatening.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 10:50 PM   #3
Afleet

I don't like the thought of a 1st time starter in the BC.
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-24-2017, 11:29 PM   #4
partnerships
Authorized Advertiser

I don't like it either but if there is not a rule prohibiting it and room then they should let her in
partnerships is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 01:49 AM   #5
BrentT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
it seems that Looch made a very bad choice in trainers, he should have respected his own list and gone to one of those guys and he would not have had any problem at all entering the horse and would not have to go through with this lawsuit that he is threatening.
He would never use those trainers.
For one they cost to much.
Secondly, he would be a small fish in the stable, not what hes looking for.
He wants to be the big fish in the small pond.
BrentT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #6
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by partnerships View Post
I don't like it either but if there is not a rule prohibiting it and room then they should let her in
Essentially the BCL has the authority to deny any entry for whatever reason they see fit.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...al_action_123#

Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 07:09 AM   #7
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by partnerships View Post
The rule is that they can disallow entry when someone tries to make a crazy entry, which this is.

If you care at all for your horse, you don't debut in the BC. And thinking of a first time starter dealing with the crowd in addition to everything else does cause a legitimate concern.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #8
CincyHorseplayer

Why not let the horse in? I see a day where the Kentucky Derby will be a MD Sp Wt with the way they are coddled these days. Why not speed up the desired reality?!
CincyHorseplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentT View Post
He would never use those trainers.
For one they cost to much.
Secondly, he would be a small fish in the stable, not what hes looking for.
He wants to be the big fish in the small pond.
what are you talking about, he already had a horse with Baffert that ran in the Preakness.

this guy is very aggressive, he won a Breeders cup race already that he claimed for $50,000. this game is all about people that can dream and turn that dream into reality. the game could use about 1000 people that have the same type of spirit as Looch has.

i only met him once about 4 years ago in Florida and he seems like a pretty sane human to me that has his own idea's about racing and how to accomplish them.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #10
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
what are you talking about, he already had a horse with Baffert that ran in the Preakness.

this guy is very aggressive, he won a Breeders cup race already that he claimed for $50,000. this game is all about people that can dream and turn that dream into reality. the game could use about 1000 people that have the same type of spirit as Looch has.

i only met him once about 4 years ago in Florida and he seems like a pretty sane human to me that has his own idea's about racing and how to accomplish them.
Let him dream elsewhere. 2-yr-olds are notorious for antics related to inexperience.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:27 AM   #11
GMB@BP

I side with the BC on this, if the horse has not been sound enough or ready to enter a maiden race all summer and fall then this is probably not the time to do it.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 10:16 PM   #12
SG4

I'm guessing this language was written into Breeders Cup bylaws about 30 seconds after Rick's Natural Star was eased in the 1996 Turf?

This is a tricky situation, Looch makes an argument that if a big time trainer like Baffert tried this they would've accepted the entry, and he's probably right, and I think the reputation of a trainer should have some sort of impact in this decision. If a hall of famer is willing to stake their reputation on such a move, it's a much different thought than someone with 2 wins to their name all year.

The fact that Looch has already won a Breeders' Cup race not all that long ago though muddles this thought a little as it shows he is not an irresponsible participant, albeit certainly reaching for the stars. Considering this horse would've been entered as his sole participant in the race & wouldn't be like a rabbit just to disrupt another horse, I think the entry should've been accepted.
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-25-2017, 10:24 PM   #13
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG4 View Post
I'm guessing this language was written into Breeders Cup bylaws about 30 seconds after Rick's Natural Star was eased in the 1996 Turf?

This is a tricky situation, Looch makes an argument that if a big time trainer like Baffert tried this they would've accepted the entry, and he's probably right, and I think the reputation of a trainer should have some sort of impact in this decision. If a hall of famer is willing to stake their reputation on such a move, it's a much different thought than someone with 2 wins to their name all year.

The fact that Looch has already won a Breeders' Cup race not all that long ago though muddles this thought a little as it shows he is not an irresponsible participant, albeit certainly reaching for the stars. Considering this horse would've been entered as his sole participant in the race & wouldn't be like a rabbit just to disrupt another horse, I think the entry should've been accepted.
The big boys have had plenty of good 2yos in the past 20 years. How many of them debuted in the BC? I don't recall any.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #14
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
The big boys have had plenty of good 2yos in the past 20 years. How many of them debuted in the BC? I don't recall any.
I love how this "everyone should be treated equally" kind of thing permeates racing. Its just how nothing works, yes if Baffert entered a mdn in the BC they probably would let him, for very good reason.

This owner, and I dont even know who the trainer was, probably do not get the same benefit of doubt, for good reason as well.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-26-2017, 01:41 PM   #15
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
I love how this "everyone should be treated equally" kind of thing permeates racing. Its just how nothing works, yes if Baffert entered a mdn in the BC they probably would let him, for very good reason.

This owner, and I dont even know who the trainer was, probably do not get the same benefit of doubt, for good reason as well.
It's not just a maiden. It's a 2yo who has never started.

I would question what the hell Pletcher or Brown or Pletcher is thinking as well if they pulled this stunt. It isn't in the best interest of any, not this horse or the other horses.