Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #61
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong
Reagan turned a truly bad economy around. He didn't have the luxury of having the Internet coming of age, creating a lot of great paying jobs. He steered the country in the right direction.

GW Bush started the economy back on track here in Texas. He reached across the aisle and for the first time in my life, the state came together to become a very strong economy...(then nafta's wake took us down a few notches recently)
And yet, many others have roundly criticized Reagan for "packaging up" the country and selling it to Wall Street...while GWB is widely regarded as the most unpopular president in our country's history.

Each one of us looks at the world through his/her own private key-hole...and NONE of us gets a good view of what the "total picture" looks like. You lived in Texas when GWB was president...and you think he did a decent job. I lived in Illinois...and I thought he sucked. That's life...
Old 11-01-2016, 01:50 PM   #62
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Nice spin. Maybe HE had help from the kgb, too

Being a young adult at the time, I can't help but think of carter's dismal speeches and overall outlook vs Reagan's positive outlook. Employers pick up on it, the populace did too. After he was elected the whole black cloud seemed to lift

And I voted for carter, btw.

Edit to add... By "employers" I should have mentioned the tone of the outlook here, locally. People here actually had hope, real hope, that things would get better.
So what we need is an actor to feed us happy bs is what you are saying? Sure cure to all that woes us. At least Reagan knew how to function in government as he did have experience in that area unlike the current actor wannabe. Of course not to say that Reagan's administration did nothing illegal.....
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 01:59 PM   #63
Mulerider

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
...while GWB is widely regarded as the most unpopular president in our country's history...

Each one of us looks at the world through his/her own private key-hole...and NONE of us gets a good view of what the "total picture" looks like. You lived in Texas when GWB was president...and you think he did a decent job. I lived in Illinois...and I thought he sucked. That's life...
Jimmy Carter's successor won 44 states and 489 electoral votes. George W. Bush's successor won 28 states and 365 electoral votes. l respectfully submit that Jimmy Carter holds the dubious distinction of being the most unpopular president in our history.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #64
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Hillary has far more government experience than Trump.

That is why she is so dangerous.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #65
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Hillary has far more government experience than Trump.

That is why she is so dangerous.
As Trump would say 'she has experience but its bad experience'
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 02:04 PM   #66
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
So what we need is an actor to feed us happy bs is what you are saying? Sure cure to all that woes us. At least Reagan knew how to function in government as he did have experience in that area unlike the current actor wannabe. Of course not to say that Reagan's administration did nothing illegal.....
Make yourself feel good, buddy. Have at it. Try to reduce the great turnaround of the 80s all you like, doesn't phase me at all.

I just wish we had the unabashed enthusiasm that things were going to turn around, like what I saw in the early 80s. My co workers and upward chain, I'd never seen that kind of eagerness for the future since the week of that 1980 election

During the carter years my parents lost two businesses due to a sinking economy that carter had zero clue as to how to handle. Those were truly hard times for my family. I had to transfer from a tier one University to a local UNiversity. That was small potatoes compared to what my folks endured during those carter years.

Imagine being in your 50s and going thru the economy we had in the 1970s.....that was my parents... And a lot of others parents too....guess what, we are going through the same shitstorm now. Yea Obama and obamacare with the sky high premium hikes

Hi five, man. Let's sign up for four more years of this shit...

Last edited by ElKabong; 11-01-2016 at 02:06 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 02:07 PM   #67
EasyGoer89
Charm school graduate

Quote:
Make yourself feel good, buddy. Have at it. Try to reduce the great turnaround of the 80s all you like, doesn't phase me at all.

I just wish we had the unabashed enthusiasm that things were going to turn around, like what I saw in the early 80s. My co workers and upward chain, I'd never seen that kind of eagerness for the future since the week of that 1980 election

During the carter years my parents lost two businesses due to a sinking economy that carter had zero clue as to how to handle. Those were truly hard times for my family. I had to transfer from a tier one University to a local UNiversity. That was small potatoes compared to what my folks endured during those carter years.

Imagine being in your 50s and going thru the economy we had in the 1970s.....that was my parents... And a lot of others parents too....guess what, we are going through the same shitstorm now. Yea Obama and obqmqvare with the sky high premium hikes

I agree, congratulations to all of us if she wins, woo hoo, happy days are here again, but you know, all these supporters of hillary could care less about the tens of thousands of unchecked illegals pouring in from everywhere, coming with malice in their hearts towards american citizens, they can care less as long as their personal family isn't affected, its out of sight out of mind, they walk out of their front doors in the morning with the sun shining and all seems well, so yeah, congrats, high fives all around!
EasyGoer89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #68
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulerider
Jimmy Carter's successor won 44 states and 489 electoral votes. George W. Bush's successor won 28 states and 365 electoral votes. l respectfully submit that Jimmy Carter holds the dubious distinction of being the most unpopular president in our history.
The evidence presented does not prove the case you are trying to make. Carter was beaten down by the Iran hostage crisis and Reagan's side played right into that, thus the lopsided vote. Reagan won 50.7% of the popular vote to Obama's 52.9% to counter even your bad example.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:12 PM   #69
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:

Imagine being in your 50s and going thru the economy we had in the 1970s.....that was my parents... And a lot of others parents too....guess what, we are going through the same shitstorm now. Yea Obama and obamacare with the sky high premium hikes

Things were going to turn around because businesses knew that the government was finally taking action to get inflation under control which matters a hell of a lot more than whatever jackass is in office. Sorry for your troubles but people suffer even during good economies.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #70
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoer89
I agree, congratulations to all of us if she wins, woo hoo, happy days are here again, but you know, all these supporters of hillary could care less about the tens of thousands of unchecked illegals pouring in from everywhere, coming with malice in their hearts towards american citizens, they can care less as long as their personal family isn't affected, its out of sight out of mind, they walk out of their front doors in the morning with the sun shining and all seems well, so yeah, congrats, high fives all around!
You mistake me for a Hillary supporter. I will finally cast a vote this election for her, not because I like her, but I dislike the alternative that much. I have never done that before, far preferring to abstain.

Trump will not stop illegal immigration by the way. No one can. And I'd dare say very few of them have malice in their hearts. I think most just want a safe place to work and have a family like everyone else, but believe the rhetoric if you wish. I'll believe what I actually see. waste billions on a wall instead of solutions if it makes you that happy.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #71
Mulerider

Quote:
The evidence presented does not prove the case you are trying to make. Carter was beaten down by the Iran hostage crisis and Reagan's side played right into that, thus the lopsided vote. Reagan won 50.7% of the popular vote to Obama's 52.9% to counter even your bad example.
Ronald Reagan's 50.7% was diluted by the presence of a second Republican in the race (John Anderson) who ended up with 6.6% of the vote, and I seriously doubt those votes were from Democrats. I agree that the Iran hostage crisis worked to Carter's disadvantage, but no more so than economic issues.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:19 PM   #72
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Ronald Reagan's 50.7% was diluted by the presence of a second Republican in the race (John Anderson) who ended up with 6.6% of the vote, and I seriously doubt those votes were from Democrats. I agree that the Iran hostage crisis worked to Carter's disadvantage, but no more so than economic issues.
I mirrored your analysis exactly. It was bad analysis in that it was a non sequitur so why dispute it any further?
Old 11-01-2016, 02:25 PM   #73
ElKabong

Quote:
Things were going to turn around because businesses knew that the government was finally taking action to get inflation under control which matters a hell of a lot more than whatever jackass is in office. .
You couldn't convince the business leaders here in Dallas or in Texas that things would organically turnaround. All i remember was 'we have to get carter the hell out to save our ass'

Remember, Carter carried Texas in 1976. But people here, esp business leaders, couldnt ditch him fast enough
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #74
Mulerider

Quote:
I mirrored your analysis exactly. It was bad analysis in that it was a non sequitur so why dispute it any further?
"Popularity" is an abstract concept absent some mechanism to measure it. How would you do it? Public opinion polls? The pronouncements of historians or posters on message boards? The only meaningful measurement is the actual vote that reveals the level of pleasure (popularity) or displeasure (unpopularity) with the incumbent. Is it the best way to measure it? Maybe not, but I know of no other way to do it that doesn't involve mere opinion. Perhaps you do?
Old 11-01-2016, 03:39 PM   #75
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
"Popularity" is an abstract concept absent some mechanism to measure it. How would you do it? Public opinion polls? The pronouncements of historians or posters on message boards? The only meaningful measurement is the actual vote that reveals the level of pleasure (popularity) or displeasure (unpopularity) with the incumbent. Is it the best way to measure it? Maybe not, but I know of no other way to do it that doesn't involve mere opinion. Perhaps you do?
But that only gives comparative popularity at that point in time against the opponent(s). Comparing such numbers across elections just doesn't mean anything. If you want to make such comparisons then you would have to note that Carter also defeated an incumbent and thus by the logic you are using then Ford had to be a worse president than Carter. Is that true? I don't know and I don't really care. Both did a really tough job 40 years ago. The past isn't going to change.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: