Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-21-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has been celebrated nationally on and off since 1789, with a proclamation by George Washington after a request by Congress, according to
Wikipedia. That's good enough for me!

His proclamation may or may not disturb you.

"Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor, and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness. Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be. That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks, for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation, for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his providence, which we experienced in the course and conclusion of the late war, for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed, for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted, for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us. And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually, to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed, to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shown kindness unto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord. To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease of science among them and Us, and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best. Given under my hand at the City of New York the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.
— George Washington"
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2018, 09:00 PM   #2
tucker6

People sure don't write as elegantly these days. It also saddens me to think what our Founders would think of our government today and our ever increasing distance from civil and religious liberty.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-21-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
Greyfox

To all posters on Pace Advantage,
Have a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
Greyfox is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 09:29 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Must be bad weather or something in NYC today.
They said on TV to stay tuned for the 90 second Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade! Pretty short this year.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE
Old 11-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
Andy Asaro

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Of course I didn't see your thread. Started a Charlie Brown Snoopy
Thanksgiving thread. Sorry. Maybe a moderator can combine.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
Andy Asaro

Old 11-22-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

A local radio station in Rochester plays the entire Alice's Restaurant at noon every Thanksgiving. Since 1969.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:02 AM   #8
Ocala Mike

Speaking of "Alice's Restaurant," it occurs to me that this board must be the "Group W Bench" of chatrooms. Sometimes I think my special crime, like Arlo's, was probably just littering!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Ocala Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
Andy Asaro

Old 11-22-2018, 10:04 AM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocala Mike View Post
Speaking of "Alice's Restaurant," it occurs to me that this board must be the "Group W Bench" of chatrooms. Sometimes I think my special crime, like Arlo's, was probably just littering!

Happy Thanksgiving, all!
Son, have you rehabilitated yourself?
Old 11-22-2018, 10:08 AM   #11
Andy Asaro

Old 11-22-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
098poi

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

In case you missed the parade.

098poi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
boxcar

Thanksgiving Proclamation 1789

By the President of the United States of America. a Proclamation.

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor—and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me “to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness.”

https://amgreatness.com/2018/11/21/t...lamation-1789/

Happy Thanksgiving to One and to All!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 AM   #14
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Hmmm....

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 13CEB3D6-3730-4726-9AEC-52614CC91E83.jpeg (34.5 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-22-2018, 10:47 AM   #15
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
To all posters on Pace Advantage,
Have a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!
What Greyfox said but with flashing lights!
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply