Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 05-24-2016, 04:16 PM   #76
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Well, it is their operating system and we're using it under their terms.

For the record, my desktop has Windows 7, and it hasn't been upgraded to 10, and won't be (unless I want to). And I keep getting those annoying pop ups telling me I should and no, I have never used a third party utility to block MS from upgrading me to 10 or from telling me I should.

People need to learn how to handle their hardware...

You can accomplish pretty much whatever you'd like as long as you take the time to learn.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #77
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot
The really bad part of Miscrosoft upgrading my system to Windows 10 without me asking for it is that it took up between 6 and 7G's of my monthly 15G
I have on my Wild Blue plan and I still have 20 days before it rolls over. I'll
have to spend $50 or more to purchase more G's before it rolls over.

Do you think if I ask real nice Microsoft will reimburse me.
I won't hold my breath while I wait.
I can see why you're upset but, I don't have that concern. I've had MS products for so long but their business practice is changing my mind on my next pc purchase.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2016, 08:19 PM   #78
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

MS is moving quickly from the software business to the "protection business."
Old 05-25-2016, 08:10 PM   #79
whodoyoulike
Veteran

I've mentioned that my upgrade to Win10 just started unintentionally. This may have been the reason. Be careful what you click on, I just wasn't paying close enough attention.

Quote:
... Here's the tricky part, though: As Microsoft itself acknowledges on its support page, clicking on that red X in the upper-right-hand corner doesn't cancel the upgrade; it lets it proceed as planned. ...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/one-wr...183438395.html
Old 05-29-2016, 11:45 AM   #80
Charlie

Upgrade

For quite sometime, I have been continually getting the pop up window asking me to upgrade from my W8 to W10. I have continually refused to do this, because my W8 has been just fine. Then it happened, I was working on my computer and all of a sudden, I received a message that my computer is upgrading to W10 and do not shut off my computer. Not wanted the upgrade, I turned off my computer and waited a 1/2 an hour before putting it back on. It was still upgrading to W1O. It's been a few days and so far, all is fine, but really the upgrade was done without a request from me. I was perplexed at this and still am. I was very happy with W8. It should have been my choice.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2016, 12:12 PM   #81
johnhannibalsmith

Next desktop i buy/build I make the plunge to Linux. I've managed to hang on to Windows 7 but this company's insistence that a god damned operating system should dictate things to me has chafed my ass raw finally. I'm sure it'll be inconvenient and aggravating to a point for a while, but I can't in good conscience put up with an operating system that considers me as a customer the same way that a rogue malware company does.

-Robert James Smith, 1989
johnhannibalsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-29-2016, 06:14 PM   #82
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Well, they (M$) are just looking out for their customers in this instance but, thinking about this a little more that may just be B.S. in this case.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:52 PM   #83
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

M$ looking out for their customers?
Old 05-31-2016, 09:52 PM   #84
sammy the sage

So W10 auto installed on it's....was p.o.'d....BBBuuuuutttttt....1st thing up...do you accept terms and conditions...I declined...

it re-installed w7 w/all things back perfectly...haven't been hassled since...interesting to say the least....
Old 06-03-2016, 04:52 PM   #85
JimG

My wife's desktop had win 7 on it but the hard drive died when microsoft tried to update it to win 10. Ended up buying her a chromebook, which she loves. Did not have original win 7 disks for the desktop, so I took an old hard drive I had laying around, and burned an image of ubuntu 14 to it.

Been playing with it for a week, and there is a learning curve but I am somewhat computer literate and have enjoyed the challenge. Bottom line, I like Linux. Added Wine to it so I have some of my old horse racing and sports gaming programs working.

Very pleased so far with linux. Also have my windows laptop handy when I have to use it and I am using it less and less. The desktop is snappy and so far so good. I hate Microsoft with a passion and am weaning myself away from them.

Jim
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2016, 06:40 PM   #86
headhawg
crusty old guy

I think that anyone who has enough knowledge will start doing what you did Jim. This ridiculous forced update to Win 10 thing is just silly and stupid. But the average user doesn't know about how to handle that stuff so M$ gets away with it. I hope that everyone switches to Linux or Apple, and M$ can figure out what to do when the bottom starts falling out. And if we can people to quit buying Office too....
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-03-2016, 07:22 PM   #87
Native Texan III

Article explains the Microsoft scam update and how to use GWX Control Panel to stop W10 upgrades from nagging or ever running

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/wi...tions-3614204/

Microsoft has another scam in delaying W7 updates downloads for hours when you try to install them.

I am very happy with W7 and W8.1 so do not see the point of risking an update I do not want nor need.
Native Texan III is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2016, 09:18 AM   #88
forced89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native Texan III
Microsoft has another scam in delaying W7 updates downloads for hours when you try to install them.
I research every "Recommended" Update before I install any of them. My guess is that I "Hide" 9 out of 10. They are relentless in trying to con me into installing the infamous KB3035583!
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2016, 01:55 PM   #89
upthecreek

Defender

It took me 3 hrs to upgrade this am Now I have an issue with Defender conflicting with my Norton Antivirus The "turn it off" option only puts it into sleep mode, turns back on after 15 mins I need to turn it off permanently The answer I get from Google I don't quite understand Any help appreciated
upthecreek is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #90
forced89

Why not just delete Norton. I'm no fan of Microsoft or Windows10 but you just got in bed with them so why not just go whole hog and simplify your life?
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply