Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 10-11-2021, 01:07 PM   #16
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
No problem. I often find my memory to be suspect here and there, that is why I often go to pro-football reference, to check it. This thread had me wanting to mention Frank Reich, but I decided to look him up first. That big play-off game come back against the Oilers kind of gave him a legacy in my mind. I suppose he was a two hit wonder 2-0 in the play-offs that year, subbing for Kelly, but an overall QB record of 5-15 regular season, not so good.
I've known Frank Reich since was about 4 or 5. For a long time, Frank held the record for biggest comeback win in the NFL and also Div. I NCAA. At Maryland, again as a backup, he came in and threw five touchdown passes against heavily favored Miami. His overall 5-15 record is colored by being the starter for the expansion Carolina Panthers. His dad was pretty happy about him getting a chance to finally start, even though expansion teams often lost most of their games.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:47 PM   #17
myohmyjustify

Vito (Babe) Parilli was the backup QB for the Super Bowl III winning NY Jets in 1968.

Parilli played in all 14 games but didn't start a single one sitting behind the great Joe Willie Namath.

According to wiki: Parilli was the No. 1 draft choice for the Green Bay Packers in 1952 and was Kentucky's starting QB for Bear Bryant. He led Kentucky to victory over No. 1 ranked Oklahoma in the 1951 Sugar Bowl, 13-7.

Parilli held most of the team passing records for the Boston Patriots before being broken by Tom Brady.
myohmyjustify is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2021, 06:46 AM   #18
burnsy
self medicated

I would say Kurt Warner. He was never supposed to start. Once Trent Green got his knee torn in pre season , no one really knew or expected much from Kurt Warner. He had kicked around in NFL Europe and the Arena Football league, had “NFL back up” written all over him and went from that to a Hall of Fame career. He went from no one knowing who the hell he was to the Super Bowl in one season. Running the most prolific offense that the league ever saw. The arena experience seemed to set him up perfectly for what the Rams did to opponents.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-16-2021, 08:41 AM   #19
lamboguy

just to be different

Tom Yewcik Boston Patriots

Sonny Jurgenson Philadelphia Eagles and Washington Redskins
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2021, 08:49 AM   #20
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

I was born and raised in Philadelphia and Nick Foles will forever be etched in my sporting heart, but what Earl Morrall did in 1972 in leading the Dolphins to the only undefeated season that ended with a championship, is something that will never be done again.

Bib Griese breaks his ankle in the 5th game, Morrall takes over, wins the game, starts every game until the superbowl which Griese starts and wins.

Last edited by Redboard; 10-30-2021 at 08:50 AM.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-30-2021, 04:15 PM   #21
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboard View Post
I was born and raised in Philadelphia and Nick Foles will forever be etched in my sporting heart, but what Earl Morrall did in 1972 in leading the Dolphins to the only undefeated season that ended with a championship, is something that will never be done again.

Bib Griese breaks his ankle in the 5th game, Morrall takes over, wins the game, starts every game until the superbowl which Griese starts and wins.
It thought he was great.........last of the great crew cuts or flat tops.........
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #22
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
I've known Frank Reich since was about 4 or 5. For a long time, Frank held the record for biggest comeback win in the NFL and also Div. I NCAA. At Maryland, again as a backup, he came in and threw five touchdown passes against heavily favored Miami. His overall 5-15 record is colored by being the starter for the expansion Carolina Panthers. His dad was pretty happy about him getting a chance to finally start, even though expansion teams often lost most of their games.
To be fair he really wasn't a backup for Maryland, he had gotten injured and was on the mend when he got thrown into the Miami game. He started the first three or four games.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #23
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Nobody has mentioned Jeff Hostetler. He was awesome for the Giants leading them to a Super Bowl after Phil Simms went down. Most wrote the team off with the Simms injury, but they went on to upset the heavily favored Bills (-7) after beating the also heavily favored 49ers (-8) in the NFC Title game.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-01-2021, 07:33 PM   #24
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Nobody has mentioned Jeff Hostetler. He was awesome for the Giants leading them to a Super Bowl after Phil Simms went down. Most wrote the team off with the Simms injury, but they went on to upset the heavily favored Bills (-7) after beating the also heavily favored 49ers (-8) in the NFC Title game.
Definitely, Hoss should be a contender. I remember how he gave my Nitanny Lions fits when he was with the Mountaineers. I was sorry to see him transfer out of Penn State.
Old 11-02-2021, 02:03 AM   #25
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
i did mention mr hostetler in post #4 but also mentioned that he did start more than half his career games when i thought the op was going for more of a "career" backup. i was also thinking about danny white but noticed he started more games than i remembered when i looked it up.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2021, 02:20 PM   #26
EvansReid

i know some good monday morning quarterbacks. gotta be trey lance tho right?
EvansReid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: