Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #136
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

There is a gate scratch in the Mile....or is there?
Old 11-06-2021, 06:25 PM   #137
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
And... we have another situation in the Mile.
Hang on, peeps......making more popcorn.
Mr_Ed is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 06:26 PM   #138
GMB@BP

man maybe godolphin should invest in a starting gate and school a bit
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #139
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
man maybe godolphin should invest in a starting gate and school a bit
They can't afford one?
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2021, 11:22 AM   #140
LemonSoupKid

So do I have any recourse on a P5 wager with Modern Games, or did all the 1s and 2s on the ticket go to the 3-Dakota Gold (new fav)? Boo
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #141
airford1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
So do I have any recourse on a P5 wager with Modern Games, or did all the 1s and 2s on the ticket go to the 3-Dakota Gold (new fav)? Boo
No , this is horse racing for the bettor. When it's over that's it.
airford1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2021, 11:33 AM   #142
Robert Fischer
clean money

The total screw up by BC of Modern Games' romp costing a few hundred

The grade 3 performance of Jackie's Warrior to award the Aloha who was a brilliant show or place key for any good handicapper costing ~$700

Me failing to run an extra 'spread all/most ticket' in the Letruska Sacrifice Race, only to get nosed out of my Chad Brown use by the goofy Japanese horse. costing ?$s

Knicks Go being the obvious one to beat, and then me adjusting to spread due to Knicks Go being ice-cold on the board and not winning as much... $ss zzz

I woke up this morning feeling like a life-flighted "Scarface" after a 10 day coma and a 20 year rehab/social-exclusion where he he had been washing dishes for a bodega, and then news of his mother's death bringing him an rage-fueled epiphany

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 11-07-2021 at 11:36 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2021, 12:08 PM   #143
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
They're taking bets across state borders, and straight up robbed the public. There really should be an investigation into this, and something "should" change.

People break legs when you pull these stunts. What they did has to be illegal.

We got robbed and it's complete bs. I personally turned the page on this as there's nothing I can do about it. (Except re-adjust my future)

Those were some great races and while I hate several trainers in this sport they'll get what's coming to them. Life always comes full circle. What goes around is going to come around.

Dam was Modern Games a nice horse

I'm out on a pick 5 and five pick-3s
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2021, 12:40 PM   #144
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
They're taking bets across state borders, and straight up robbed the public. There really should be an investigation into this, and something "should" change.

People break legs when you pull these stunts. What they did has to be illegal.

We got robbed and it's complete bs. I personally turned the page on this as there's nothing I can do about it. (Except re-adjust my future)

Those were some great races and while I hate several trainers in this sport they'll get what's coming to them. Life always comes full circle. What goes around is going to come around.

Dam was Modern Games a nice horse

I'm out on a pick 5 and five pick-3s
Unfortunately there's a difference between gross incompetence and criminal actions. Millions in handle were lost by the powers that be, so no one "robbed" anyone else as no one profited.

The racing industry is just incredibly proficient at dropping the anvil on its own foot whenever the sport is having a good day.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #145
Michael

@castaway01 We're on the same page man. I know the story well... It just is what it is. That said, I've just never placed a bet and won, only to be told "we've decided not to paid you, but instead we're giving your vote to someone else." 2021 for you
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #146
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
FWIW, these are the official statements I received from the CHRB:

Original CHRB Statement:
Quote:
CHRB ADVISORY

Concerning the 10th race at Del Mar today, the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf: Prior to the start of the race, #1 Modern Games (IRE) reared up and hit the back of the gate; #2 Albahr (GB) flipped over and became lodged underneath the starting gate. The scratch of #2 Albahr was relayed to the stewards and that horse was taken out of the wagering pools. Albahr appears uninjured. The veterinary staff then relayed a second scratch of #1 Modern Games (IRE) to the stewards based on initial observation. Upon confirmation that #1 also was to be scratched, the stewards removed the horse from the wagering pools. After further discussion among the regulatory veterinarians at the gate and after further observation of #1 Modern Games, that horse was declared fit and racing sound, and this fact was relayed to the stewards, who pursuant to CHRB rule 1974 allowed the horse to run for purse money only. The CHRB and the Breeders' Cup are reviewing the current veterinary and scratching procedures to ensure that this does not occur going forward.

Rule No.
Rule Title
Wagering Interest.
Rule Text
(a) A wagering interest is any one horse in a race.
(b) If a horse is removed from the wagering pool due to a totalizator error, or due to any other error, and neither the trainer nor the owner is at fault, the horse shall start in the race as a non-wagering interest for the purse only and shall be disregarded for pari-mutuel purposes.
(c) If a horse is removed from the wagering pool to start in a race as a non-wagering interest for purse only and is disregarded for pari-mutuel purposes, the circumstances shall be announced over the public address system at the time the action is taken and thereafter to adequately inform the public. The racing association shall also inform off-track wagering outlets at the time such action is taken.

NOTE: Authority cited: Sections 19420, 19440, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Section 19562, Business and Professions Code.

Additional CHRB Statement:
Quote:
CHRB ADVISORY

A California Horse Racing Board, Del Mar Thoroughbred Club, and Breeders' Cup joint statement regarding the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf:

The CHRB, Del Mar, and Breeders' Cup officials reviewed the circumstances of the Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf last night and again this morning.

The CHRB determined that, as discussed in the aftermath of the race, #1 Modern Games was scratched by the stewards on the recommendation of one of the track veterinarians, Dr. Chuck Jenkins, at the starting gate at 17:35:35 PT.

After additional examination and assessment of Modern Games by the attending veterinary team, track veterinarian Dr. Dana Stead concluded that the horse had not been injured and communicated to the stewards that the horse was cleared to run.

Due to a miscommunication between the stewards and the Del Mar mutuels department, Modern Games was reinserted into the pari-mutuel wagering pools at 17:37:01 PT.

At 17:43:49 PT, after it was made clear to the mutuels department that Modern Games was competing for purse money only, the horse was again removed from the wagering pools.

The race went off at 17:47:34 PT.

Per CHRB rules, all wagers on #1 Modern Games in the win, place, show, exacta, trifecta, superfecta, and super high five pools are subject to refund. Daily double and Pick 3 wagers to Modern Games received a consolation payment. Per CHRB rules, in all other multi-leg wagers ending on the 10th race, bettors with tickets including #1 Modern Games and #2 Albahr received the post-time favorite, #3 Dakota Gold, unless they designated an alternate for the race.

As a result of the review, the CHRB, Del Mar and Breeders' Cup are modifying their injury management communications protocols, so that Dr. Stead will make the final determination with respect to recommended scratches at the starting gate and has sole authority to communicate those recommendations to the stewards.
Imo, there is a way to correct this going forward:

They already have functionality programmed into the tote system that allows for horses to be scratched.

Why not be proactive and program functionality into the tote system that allows mistakenly scratched horses to be unscratched?

As long as you're paying to have that done, why not address another problem with the tote system?

I've seen this second scenario happen several times over the past year:

The last horse has been loaded into the gate. One of the runners breaks through the gate. And someone at the track mistakenly sends out the stop wagering signal.

As a result the race is mistakenly closed for wagering. And remains mistakenly closed for wagering while the runner who broke through the gate is retrieved by an outrider and brought back to the gate where it is either scratched or reloaded.

Why not program functionality into the tote system to allow a race mistakenly closed for wagering to be reopened for wagering when the need arises? You'd need to build in safeguards such as approval by the stewards. But Imo any cost in programming hrs to make this happen would eventually be offset by late handle that is currently being shut out.

-jp

Old 11-07-2021, 02:34 PM   #147
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Original CHRB Statement:

Additional CHRB Statement:

Imo, there is a way to correct this going forward:

They already have functionality programmed into the tote system that allows for horses to be scratched.

Why not be proactive and program functionality into the tote system that allows mistakenly scratched horses to be unscratched?

As long as you're paying to have that done, why not address another problem with the tote system?

I've seen this second scenario happen several times over the past year:

The last horse has been loaded into the gate. One of the runners breaks through the gate. And someone at the track mistakenly sends out the stop wagering signal.

As a result the race is mistakenly closed for wagering. And remains mistakenly closed for wagering while the runner who broke through the gate is retrieved by an outrider and brought back to the gate where it is either scratched or reloaded.

Why not program functionality into the tote system to allow a race mistakenly closed for wagering to be reopened for wagering when the need arises? You'd need to build in safeguards such as approval by the stewards. But Imo any cost in programming hrs to make this happen would eventually be offset by late handle that is currently being shut out.

-jp

Great points, Jeff. What I am afraid of is...

They...just...don't...care. It's like they don't even care that people realize it.
Old 11-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #148
classhandicapper

Jeff,

Some ADWs might not have the ability to scratch and unscratch a horse and then make the appropriate payouts in the event of scratch/unscratch by the track. I think everyone would have to make sure to get their ducks in a row or you might be looking at a LOT of manual adjustments and a different kind nightmare. (I don't know this to be true, but I have some experience with one of those systems)
Old 11-07-2021, 02:43 PM   #149
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
Jeff,

Some ADWs might not have the ability to scratch and unscratch a horse and then make the appropriate payouts in the event of scratch/unscratch by the track. I think everyone would have to make sure to get their ducks in a row or you might be looking at a LOT of manual adjustments and a different kind nightmare. (I don't know this to be true, but I have some experience with one of those systems)
Just goes back to what I said, our tote system is a joke, decades behind current tech.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2021, 02:57 PM   #150
sharkey11

Elk you hit right on the nose they dont give a chit and a big and they wont spend a nickle on it looks the same as other forms of pari betting
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply