Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 07-28-2021, 03:41 PM   #16
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Philo

Anyone streaming Philo on computers?
Love the channel line up, but it very slow and skips a lot - too much to watch.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:11 PM   #17
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Anyone streaming Philo on computers?
Love the channel line up, but it very slow and skips a lot - too much to watch.
My brother likes it but says the same thing.

Usually that’s a bandwidth problem. But they may be getting too popular to keep up
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2021, 07:13 PM   #18
fast4522

What might be interesting is Samsung, some here might have a newer Samsung that is a smart TV and has Samsung TV built in along with other apps built in. It would be nice if someone has the Samsung TV app. here and could review. Also I think the 32 inch units are under $200.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 12:19 AM   #19
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
What might be interesting is Samsung, some here might have a newer Samsung that is a smart TV and has Samsung TV built in along with other apps built in. It would be nice if someone has the Samsung TV app. here and could review. Also I think the 32 inch units are under $200.
IMHO, the apps one should use are not actually part of the TV system but the Blue-Ray player.

They seem to update way more often plus, as an added benefit, we replace them more often than the TV.

Therefore, less security issues.

BTW... those people who buy refrigerators that connect to the internet stop getting security updates after about 6 or 7 years. This can leave your network open to known exploits that are no longer being patched.

(Ralph and others here would have better knowledge of that topic than me.)
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 08:15 AM   #20
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
IMHO, the apps one should use are not actually part of the TV system but the Blue-Ray player.

They seem to update way more often plus, as an added benefit, we replace them more often than the TV.

BTW... those people who buy refrigerators that connect to the internet stop getting security updates after about 6 or 7 years. This can leave your network open to known exploits that are no longer being patched.

I'd say , if there going to hack my network ...at least have dinner ready by 6

geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 08:52 AM   #21
rastajenk
Just Deplorable

And tell me when I'm out of beer.
Quote:
I'm leaning towards a $200 TV.....I am pretty sure I won't last 15 more years!
That's why I have read this thread with interest for the first time. A couple days ago I was moving a Vizio 44-incher on the spacious veranda of my palatial estate when it fell off its stand and broke. My next purchase doesn't have to be Smart, there's a cable box back there, and it's only a back porch in spite of my lofty description.

I have a Firestick, so I can follow the conversation here, but I hardly ever use it. I've added apps and tried my hand at jailbreaking, but I already have too many choices to begin with and get bored easily searching for available content. I have binge-watched only one series, ever.

When we were on vacation last month, the house we stayed at had only Roku and Firesticks, no antenna or cable, so we couldn't watch local news and weather, and some of our other viewing habits. I figured out some temporary work-arounds , but I thought it was a pain in the ass. I prefer to be old-fashioned.

But it's interesting to read others' experiences. I have to learn to keep up somehow.
rastajenk is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-30-2021, 09:09 AM   #22
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastajenk View Post
And tell me when I'm out of beer.

That's why I have read this thread with interest for the first time. A couple days ago I was moving a Vizio 44-incher on the spacious veranda of my palatial estate when it fell off its stand and broke. My next purchase doesn't have to be Smart, there's a cable box back there, and it's only a back porch in spite of my lofty description.

I have a Firestick, so I can follow the conversation here, but I hardly ever use it. I've added apps and tried my hand at jailbreaking, but I already have too many choices to begin with and get bored easily searching for available content. I have binge-watched only one series, ever.

When we were on vacation last month, the house we stayed at had only Roku and Firesticks, no antenna or cable, so we couldn't watch local news and weather, and some of our other viewing habits. I figured out some temporary work-arounds , but I thought it was a pain in the ass. I prefer to be old-fashioned.

But it's interesting to read others' experiences. I have to learn to keep up somehow.
I just cut the cord in June before I lost a few discounts and my bill would be $200+

I now pay $60 for internet and still get all my stuff....

GB

PS- I could have done this earlier but my wife is a non-technical person..I taught her how to use the device for 2 weeks...see finally got it...
Old 08-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #23
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post

The security issues are not difficult to manage, keeping a eye on your router is a two sided coin with one side what you can learn.

I intended the first post in this thread because Tom specified a price point, and I am biased to Samsung for bang for the buck. New brands never seen before in the stores that look interesting so I go for the ones that have been around for a while except for a garbage Polaroid and other company's that used to be something and are now a name that was sold.
Old 08-03-2021, 12:12 PM   #24
geroge.burns99
Veteran

VIZIO TV Users....

Just got an email , from Vizio , on their FREE TV lineup...

Quite impressive on the channels they are showing...

I've attached the channels below....

One thing that has me puzzled ...

Under CRIME section....

What would "VIZIO INVESTIGATION" be????

Mike

https://www.vizio.com/en/channel-lis...O+WF%2b_080221

Last edited by geroge.burns99; 08-03-2021 at 12:18 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:26 PM   #25
fast4522

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroge.burns99 View Post
VIZIO TV Users....

Just got an email , from Vizio , on their FREE TV lineup...

Quite impressive on the channels they are showing...

I've attached the channels below....

One thing that has me puzzled ...

Under CRIME section....

What would "VIZIO INVESTIGATION" be????

Mike

https://www.vizio.com/en/channel-lis...O+WF%2b_080221
That is exactly what I was posting for Tom, Samsung doing the same thing. VIZIO had to pay fines because it was selling data collected to whoever without telling anyone. I am sure free television programing it worth the collection of knowing what your watching. The cable company is selling your data and charging you a arm and a leg just for your local programing that a antenna can get.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #26
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4522 View Post
That is exactly what I was posting for Tom, Samsung doing the same thing. VIZIO had to pay fines because it was selling data collected to whoever without telling anyone. I am sure free television programing it worth the collection of knowing what your watching. The cable company is selling your data and charging you a arm and a leg just for your local programing that a antenna can get.
Old 08-04-2021, 05:18 PM   #27
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

OK, is this set up possible?

Standard [older] TV.
Laptop, cable box.
TV hooked up to both using an HDMI splitter [not a switch]

When using laptop, leave cable box turned off.
When watching cable, unplug from computer, so one live line and one dead line are going into TV.

Will that work?
Old 08-06-2021, 07:17 PM   #28
fast4522

Quote:
OK, is this set up possible?

Standard [older] TV.
Laptop, cable box.

When using laptop, leave cable box turned off.
When watching cable, unplug from computer, so one live line and one dead line are going into TV.

Will that work?
I think the older TV is best left in plain sight with the curtains open so the walkers know who not to rob. Cut the cable and plug a internet cable from your router into the back of the TV, scoop up a firestick for more content. Unless you signed a contract with the cable company for two years. I know that I had umteen channels and the cable was on fox most of the time. If you have no contract play satellite company against the cable company's. I just remember my moms words of wisdom, never sign things.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:07 AM   #29
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
That should work fine.
Make sure it's a bi-directional splitter (1 in 2 out is the typical arrangement so you want to be sure it does 2 in 1 out). It should also have a switch but without any smarts as to which line has a signal. You do the switching. (Just like you were the tv remote when you were growing up ... 'Tom, switch it to Walter Cronkite').
For the laptop to tv you'll probably have to use some keyboard shortcut (mine is Fn key plus F8) to get the computer to send signal to the HDMI port and also to switch back to laptop screen (unless your laptop can do both at once).

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2021, 03:08 PM   #30
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Thanks, 2 in 1 is what I thought, but a switch is a desal breaker.