Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 07-18-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Smart TV, HDMI questions

Been doing some research to upgrade my TV and computer.

1. Standard TV. I hook it up to my laptop, set the input to HDMI, and then I will see om my TV what I see on my computer? No settings in W10 needed? I can then watch on TV any videos, RTN, Youtube TV, other services, like Lubi, Philo....? I am looking at HDMI gold cable, 1.4, 25 foot max.

2. Smart TV. I can do everything above, plus attach to cable with coax. Also, I can watch services like Youtube without the laptop. I would need a coax cable and an ethernet cable to hook to my router?

Thanks.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:03 PM   #2
vegasone

Not very many standard TVs left. Smart TVs you can do all the above. Most will connect to your WiFi if you don’t want to hook up a cable for your online stuff. Have to make sure all the apps you want to use can be added to your tv. Some older TVs won’t have some of the newer apps.
If you get something like a Roku, you have access to a lot of apps that may not be available on the tv. Can add that later if you need to. A lot more convenient than using your computer for Netflix, YouTube etc. lots of combinations to consider.

Don’t go overboard on the Hdmi cable. It is digital and not subject to issues with cheap analog cables. Any inexpensive one should do it as long as it works with the current standard HDMI, which is 2.1 I believe. Check that first..
Gold connectors probably should be all you need.

Last edited by vegasone; 07-18-2021 at 01:05 PM.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Tom

A smart tv will get all the streaming stuff via your WiFi.

Just chose the network, provide the password (just like anything else on the network) and then your tv is connected.

Then you can open up apps that are pre loaded on the tv. If there is something you want-but don’t have, often your tv will allow you to add apps.

You can add even more by getting an Amazon fire stick that plugs into a USB port on the tv, set your input to the stick and away you go. If you want to go really upscale you can get a Roku or Apple TV plugged into your tv via HDMI and choose those via the input menus. Just make sure whatever tv you buy has the right ports you’re going to use.
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-18-2021, 04:04 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I have an older TV that has HDMI so that one will in the computer room. I'm buying a new Smart TV for the living room, and all the networks I want show up on te screen in the photo. Isn't WiFi too slow? The Wifi I have been using takes a long time to load and stops and starts frquently. I have fiber optic cable
in my new apoartment so I thought that be fast.

Thanks, guys.
Old 07-18-2021, 07:20 PM   #5
Dave Schwartz

Tom,

If you like good TV, spring for a nice-but-cheap smart TV at Costco. Maybe $500 max (not sure of current stock).

If you're doing Netflix and/or Prime, then buy the Apple TV add-on that turns almost everything into almost 4k. That will be about $200 more.

The experience difference is amazing.

Yo, Ralphie - tell him about it!

Dave

PS: Wouldn't bother with that for racing. Just add another monitor to your computer.

PPS: If your wi-fi is slow, try hard-wiring your computer to take it off the wi-fi.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-19-2021, 01:38 AM   #6
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I have an older TV that has HDMI so that one will in the computer room. I'm buying a new Smart TV for the living room, and all the networks I want show up on te screen in the photo. Isn't WiFi too slow? The Wifi I have been using takes a long time to load and stops and starts frquently. I have fiber optic cable
in my new apoartment so I thought that be fast.

Thanks, guys.
If your WiFi is slow, it’s gonna suck. But if your tv has a network cable connection (some still do) you can run a network cable from your router right to the tv and screw the WiFi. That would assume your router is close to your TV
Old 07-19-2021, 08:19 PM   #7
JustRalph
Just another Facist

29 bucks w a cable

Roku Express 4K+ 2021 | Streaming Media Player HD/4K/HDR with Smooth Wireless Streaming and Roku Voice Remote with TV Controls, Includes Premium HDMI Cable

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Roku-Expr...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Same deal on Amazon for a couple days

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0916TKFF2...88d8823895&ots
Old 07-19-2021, 09:38 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Isn't that what the smart tv is supposed to do?
Old 07-20-2021, 02:48 PM   #9
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Isn't that what the smart tv is supposed to do?
Yes. But there are a ton more options on Roku and other pieces of hardware. Just more channels…….most are useless, but you can add and subtract on the Roku. Once you settle on a few favs you will probably hardly ever use the others. But, channels are always being added. Nice to have the option.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:09 AM   #10
vegasone

Once you have a TV and are buying an older or cheaper one, if you find that it doesn't provide what you need then you would be looking for an external device to enhance its features. No point in buying something if your TV provides what you need.
vegasone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2021, 12:28 PM   #11
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
Once you have a TV and are buying an older or cheaper one, if you find that it doesn't provide what you need then you would be looking for an external device to enhance its features. No point in buying something if your TV provides what you need.
And no point on buying stuff that is outside the capability of your TV to render.

I research stuff before I buy.
And I am really good at this.
My purchases seem to last forever.

When my $800 Phillips TV that I bought from Costco failed in 2019, I was so proud that it had lasted 15 years.

Until I replaced it, that is.
Because I realized how much I was missing.

Now I have a $400 Samsung TV (purchased from Costco) that does 4k, with a high refresh rate (not highest, but high enough) and, when coupled with my Apple TV device, I actually get that 4k.

In fact, I get just under 4k (3940) on "HD" (not 4k) video that streams through that device.

POINT
I would never have gotten that on my old Phillips because it was simply not capable.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #12
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I'm leaning towards a $200 TV.....I am pretty sure I won't last 15 more years!
Old 07-23-2021, 02:17 PM   #13
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
Yes. But there are a ton more options on Roku and other pieces of hardware.
As Ralph says Roku, Firestick, Apple TV add things that your TV likely won't have. Also, your TV may not keep it's apps updated. I can't get any newer versions on my 8yo Samsung.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-23-2021, 06:39 PM   #14
ranchwest

Ya never know.

I have Fire TV and it works well with most stuff. But Hulu is dreadfully slow. So, I HDMI into my laptop for Hulu.
Old 07-24-2021, 11:41 AM   #15
Karakorum Kabbage
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchwest View Post
Ya never know.

I have Fire TV and it works well with most stuff. But Hulu is dreadfully slow. So, I HDMI into my laptop for Hulu.
I have two Fire sticks and you have to keep an eye on the app cache sizes. If they get too bloated it can really affect the app and stick's functionality. Fortunately deleting the caches is simple. I don't usually bother with clearing the data unless the sizes are getting way too big.

https://www.lifewire.com/clear-cache...estick-4177638
Karakorum Kabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply