Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 06-10-2021, 08:59 PM   #1
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Laser printer

I'm looking for a laserjet printer - NOT WIRELESS. USB connectivity.
Preferably not HP.

Compact size desired, refurb perfectly acceptable. Probably desired.

I want to do simple b&w printing and not use the internet at all.

Any recommendations?

Just bought a new HP DJ3755 Wireless/USB that is piece of garbage-can't print without using wireless and prints about 1 page per minute.
Old 06-10-2021, 09:37 PM   #2
Augenj
Top Horse Analytics

https://www.amazon.com/Computer-Ethe...3375276&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Prin...375276&sr=8-13

More here
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=laser+pri...f=nb_sb_noss_2
Augenj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #3
geroge.burns99
Veteran

never heard that brand ( Pantum) and very few reviews...

I would get the Canon or Brother
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
CheckMark

Brother HL-L2320D Monochrome Reliable Laser Printer would be my pick

Great price, USB 2.0 Interface with 30ppm and prints of high quality b&w pages.

Local library has this printer and it works great every time no hassle fast printing.

You would have to read more about the ink cartridges/toner but it should be a decent deal.

Hopefully this is one you end up picking!
Old 06-10-2021, 11:09 PM   #5
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

I got tired of buying those ridiculous print cartridges, and bought a Brother model black/white similar to the one you described, Conley. It runs on toner (appx $40). I've had this printer now for at least 10 years--and have purchased toner twice--in 10 years!

When it starts to run low on toner--you simply take the toner cartridge out, and shake it. Put it back in and it will work for maybe another year. If you're really cheap, you can take that toner out and shake it up again. Just make sure you order a spare about that time, because eventually there ain't nothin' to shake--just black dust.
Pop in the replacement-and get 3,000+ copies before you begin once again, the toner-shake.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2021, 05:24 AM   #6
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I got tired of buying those ridiculous print cartridges, and bought a Brother model black/white similar to the one you described, Conley. It runs on toner (appx $40). I've had this printer now for at least 10 years--and have purchased toner twice--in 10 years!

When it starts to run low on toner--you simply take the toner cartridge out, and shake it. Put it back in and it will work for maybe another year. If you're really cheap, you can take that toner out and shake it up again. Just make sure you order a spare about that time, because eventually there ain't nothin' to shake--just black dust.
Pop in the replacement-and get 3,000+ copies before you begin once again, the toner-shake.
Oh yes I remember the shake!

When I was in high school I remember our business teachers when they would take the toner out and shake it so it get a few more prints.

Our business rooms used HP business printers which were fairly big size but did a good job for printing just sometimes it was so so when you hit “Print” and you would wait that felt like forever and wonder what they hack I was printing since I stood there until it came out.

I used to print programs from school because the quality was WAY better than my inkjet one at home but again it took so long just to print a few pages double sided that people would question why I was printing so much business homework or sheets for class

Thanks for the memories you brought back for me Greg

Last edited by CheckMark; 06-11-2021 at 05:30 AM.
CheckMark is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2021, 06:27 AM   #7
geroge.burns99
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post

With all your money

unbelievable!!!!

GB
geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2021, 11:01 AM   #8
Red Knave
dGnr8

I also would recommend Brother. They actually sell refurbished lasers direct and have some models under $100. Maybe all you need.
I have a $100 Samsung laser that I bought at Walmart about 10 years ago. Sadly, they seem to be out of that business now.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #9
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Knave View Post
I also would recommend Brother. They actually sell refurbished lasers direct and have some models under $100. Maybe all you need.
I have a $100 Samsung laser that I bought at Walmart about 10 years ago. Sadly, they seem to be out of that business now.
Wow

Never knew Samsung make printers

Do you still have yours?
Old 06-11-2021, 03:10 PM   #10
MooseDog

Another vote for Brother lasers. I have a friend who has used one 15 years and still going...
MooseDog is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #11
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseDog View Post
Another vote for Brother lasers. I have a friend who has used one 15 years and still going...
Same here...Filled toner 3 times in 14 years.....
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-11-2021, 06:11 PM   #12
fast4522

There are settings that will make print just a little bit less bold or black that extends your toner cartridge big time.
fast4522 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2021, 08:10 AM   #13
tcasolo

Another vote for Brother. You can usually get a duplex multi-function printer for sub $100. And more importantly, the aftermarket toner cartridges are often as little as $5-6 each.
tcasolo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2021, 08:48 AM   #14
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

I too vote for Brother. It seems like you can always find one on sale for about $60. I was always afraid to use the cheapest available toner due to bad customer reviews. I use toner cartridges made by Arthur Imaging and never had any problems. I think they cost me about $10.

The problem comes when you need a new drum, which costs more than the printer. I tried one aftermarket drum, and wasn't pleased. The print was a little fuzzy, and the drum didn't last as long as the original.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #15
Red Knave
dGnr8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Never knew Samsung make printers
Do you still have yours?
Yes

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply