Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 09-09-2023, 12:13 PM   #1
mountainman

Higher cost-lower quality

Last night at Olive Garden our server still had not brought breaksticks after appetizers and entrees had arrived. When reminded, she smoothly replied in a somewhat too-practiced manner that she could "arrange" that.

Arrange?? ARRANGE???? Apparently, Olive Garden servers now play cute and attempt to withhold a signature item their commercials crow about providing in copious amounts.

What's next..plates and forks "upon request?" How ridiculous.

So an insane, historic, and ever-escalating price gouge no longer suffices for those who provide us goods and services? They now feel justified in NOT EVEN COMING ACROSS with their part of the traditional bargain.

On the way to dinner, I stopped at "lids" to buy a steeler hat for my over-sized cranium. Sure enough, they had my size-but the one company that manufactures them (in size 8) has now resorted to using flimsy cardboard for the bills, and paper thin cloth for the caps themselves. Plus the price has soared.

In my book, they are getting me coming AND going by skimping on quality AND jacking up the price. Where does this end?????????????????????????
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Mountain,

I fear that the time is coming (perhaps sooner than we think) where the over-pricing of flimsy hats and restaurant food will be the least of our worries.

(Not meant to indicate that you are off base with your tiny rant. Only the idiots and brain dead think everything is just fine in our country.)

PA continually uses the phrase, "dead country."

Well, America is not dead yet.

But it certainly isn't breathing well.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2023, 01:24 PM   #3
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Last night at Olive Garden our server still had not brought breaksticks after appetizers and entrees had arrived. When reminded, she smoothly replied in a somewhat too-practiced manner that she could "arrange" that.

Arrange?? ARRANGE???? Apparently, Olive Garden servers now play cute and attempt to withhold a signature item their commercials crow about providing in copious amounts.

What's next..plates and forks "upon request?" How ridiculous.

So an insane, historic, and ever-escalating price gouge no longer suffices for those who provide us goods and services? They now feel justified in NOT EVEN COMING ACROSS with their part of the traditional bargain.

On the way to dinner, I stopped at "lids" to buy a steeler hat for my over-sized cranium. Sure enough, they had my size-but the one company that manufactures them (in size 8) has now resorted to using flimsy cardboard for the bills, and paper thin cloth for the caps themselves. Plus the price has soared.

In my book, they are getting me coming AND going by skimping on quality AND jacking up the price. Where does this end?????????????????????????

Is it really about Olive Garden or did you finally have had enough of living a life with a watermelon head, or other deformities that require trying on clothes items others just grab and go. By the time you hit the Garden,
you were looking for trouble.

I have the same issues and I am only 6' tall 235# it is annoying as hell. "One size fits all, my ass." What makes it especially a PITA as a lot of places sell items on line and not in stores. I believe I need to add walking boots to my list of mobility devices. I already checked, most places in a 30 mile radius, no stock. My feet are like swim fins, most people with longer feet have skis. Another thing is gloves, to work with surgical type gloves on you need a good fit if doing intricate work.

Of course the best plan is to stick with a size and brand, unfortunately my favorite shop supply vendor does not list brands as their catalog and website is huge and they often switch brands, most all their stuff is high quality.

Back to your issue, if you are going to take a perk away a customer is used to they should be well informed before ordering. Business owners are trying to get creative to pass on extra costs with out making it so noticeable and in a lot of ways it obstructs simple price comparison without using a lengthy process.

My knowledge of restaurants is dated, but 40 some years ago when I had some involvement it was known at the time beverage sales carried the establishments. I knew a guy who managed the local Cask N' Cleaver, he said he always wants to mange the wait time that a person goes to the bar and has a drink or two, but doesn't get mad and leave, he said 15-30 minutes was ideal.

P.S. I thought you said you were living off Mac N Cheese, due to all the cost over runs on your home build because of the ridiculous inflation, especially in the construction supply sector.

Either I got the wrong guy or you are directing your anger in the wrong direction. Joe Biden's war on fossil fuels jacked up shipping rates, heavy and or large items are expensive, shipping rates have doubled in many areas since Joe took office.

No matter how hard you try, even if you succeed you will lose. If you and your friends and family manage to eat back in bread sticks what Bidenomics is costing you a month, your health will suffer.

Last edited by Inner Dirt; 09-09-2023 at 01:27 PM.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
Is it really about Olive Garden or did you finally have had enough of living a life with a watermelon head, or other deformities that require trying on clothes items others just grab and go. By the time you hit the Garden,
you were looking for trouble.

I guess something in me just cracked. Life with an alien-sized cranium ain't all it seems. How would YOU feel having your every thought.. dream..fear..and impulse forever imprisoned in this ghoulish 40lb pumpkin??

I daresay , good dirt, you might demand a breadstick, or two, yourself. And all the salad you could chomp down, too. And with no back talk from the server.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-09-2023 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-09-2023, 01:46 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Sounds like you ate at the Olive PIT!
Old 09-09-2023, 01:48 PM   #6
thaskalos

Pasta and bread are out...and protein is in. The server was doing you a favor!
Old 09-09-2023, 01:52 PM   #7
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Pasta and bread are out...and protein is in. The server was doing you a favor!
Is that why I later spied her shoving (my?) bread sticks into her purse? With a look of sinister triumph on her face? Now THAT is about as giving as a gal can get!
Old 09-09-2023, 02:12 PM   #8
thaskalos

Quote:
Is that why I later spied her shoving (my?) bread sticks into her purse? With a look of sinister triumph on her face? Now THAT is about as giving as a gal can get!

Mountainman...I can't help but think that a deeper problem has somehow presented itself somewhere in your life. Problems are the price that we pay for being alive. As your friend...I would plead with you to not allow the (mis)behavior of others to wreck your own equilibrium. They are them...and you are you.
Old 09-09-2023, 02:57 PM   #9
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

The OG?
Nooooo

The only thing you did right was buy a Steelers hat
#HereWeGo
Old 09-09-2023, 03:08 PM   #10
davew

Bidenomics ends when most everyone is dirt poor and dead
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2023, 03:16 PM   #11
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post

Mountainman...I can't help but think that a deeper problem has somehow presented itself somewhere in your life. Problems are the price that we pay for being alive. As your friend...I would plead with you to not allow the (mis)behavior of others to wreck your own equilibrium. They are them...and you are you.
maybe something like this.

we weren't there for context but it almost seems like the waitress wasn't going to win without an exactly perfectly timed perfect response?

and total perfection in our work is too much to ask from anybody. i do feel that how someone goes about their work does say a lot about that person though and it seems how he approaches mountaineer says a lot of good about mountainman and that should definitely be a cookie in his david goggins cookie jar to reach for when adverse circumstances come in rapid succession.

and i hate the steelers but keep the faith mountainman!
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2023, 03:38 PM   #12
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew View Post
Bidenomics ends when most everyone is dirt poor and dead
By design…..
Old 09-09-2023, 03:58 PM   #13
Inner Dirt

Quote:
I guess something in me just cracked. Life with an alien-sized cranium ain't all it seems. How would YOU feel having your every thought.. dream..fear..and impulse forever imprisoned in this ghoulish 40lb pumpkin??

I daresay , good dirt, you might demand a breadstick, or two, yourself. And all the salad you could chomp down, too. And with no back talk from the server.

If both my shoulders were not torn up and needed operations, I would be playing an air violin in honor of your suffering.

You seriously need to adapt, a nice mustache can divide that over inflated basketball you have as a head.
Inner Dirt is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2023, 04:03 PM   #14
Bustin Stones

Everything depends on whether you saw other tables getting their breadsticks. If no one else was receiving, it sounds like a kitchen issue that your server was trying to cover. If other tables were getting, then get the manager.
As for your hat, have you investigated head reduction procedures?
Bustin Stones is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #15
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I wear a 7 7/8 size fitted hat...I can almost relate