Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-21-2018, 11:02 PM   #31
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb View Post
Can't single one out, but a 1981 Yamaha maxim 650 motrcyle was a total joy.
1967 Yamaha YR-1. 350 cc of two stroke raw power. I was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army at the time and I found myself standing tall before the man because "Officers should not ride motorcycles." So I sold it. I was not ordered to sell it but ...
Old 11-21-2018, 11:08 PM   #32
xtb

If we're including motorcycles, my 1974 Kawasaki H2 was the most fun of any vehicle I've owned. Terrifying at times but never had so much fun!
xtb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #33
woodtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister View Post
I stopped driving in 1990 for health reasons. I wanted to stay healthy, and didn't have the discipline to exercise so I sold the car and started walking. I'm convinced I am at least 20 pounds lighter than I would be if I kept driving.

A side benefit I'd I recently read the average person spends $1500/month on transportation, I spend $110/month.
The extra shoveling should keep me in shape. Thats the plan going forward.
I did pass the driving test on Tuesday and the most difficult part was keeping up with the speed limit so hopefully the tickets will be zero $.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #34
burnsy
self medicated

My 2000 Toyota Celica GT. Still have it with 254,786 miles on it . Still runs like a top. I use to store it for the winter when it was new. No need now. Love that car. Of course my other car is a Hybrid......Honda Cr-Z. I'm getting old.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #35
Bennie

I had a 1955 Ford Convertible given to me by my Grandfather who could no longer drive when I was 15 and tore up the fields with it but never made it onto the street. I wish I still had but my favorite would be my 69 Mach One Mustang fastback. I use to street race with my Brother who had a 68 Charger with a 440 bored 40 over with a 6 pack and could beat him street racing by passing him on the corners every time. But on a track I would have only seen his tail lights.
Bennie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #36
Red Knave
dGnr8

Interesting to see so many Darts mentioned here. Like MONEY, I had a '67 Dart GT Convertible, 273 4bbl, 4 speed that I wish I had now. Traded it for a '71 Mustang Grande, 302 auto because it had power windows. The Dart was baffed at that point and I wanted to refurb it but had neither the money, the time nor the space to store it.

The takers get the honey, the givers sing the blues - Robin Trower, Too Rolling Stoned - 1974
Red Knave is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #37
Inner Dirt

1970 Chevelle Super Sport with a 454. I had numerous built engines in it and the one I had in it in 1979 got 5 MPG even with a tall 3.31 rear end and driving somewhat conservatively. That was during the odd-even gas rationing. Fortunately I had a buddy that worked at a junk yard who provided me with a spare set of license plates and I could throw a rock to the nearest gas pumps at a Circle K. I could not even make 100 miles on a tank of gas.
The car was pretty much an almost street legal Nascar. California where I lived already had emission testing, but unscrupulous inspection stations would accommodate us violators for a $50 bill.
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-03-2018, 12:52 AM   #38
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalvOnHorseracing View Post
Everybody has a car they've owned that they loved.
1966 Triumph Spitfire. Definitely not the best car I ever owned but it was my first car and I loved it. But I was constantly having to repair it, either DIY or take it to a mechanic. Since it was my first car I did not realize that this sort of constant maintenance was not the norm. I was spending almost as much on repairs as on monthly payments. I kept it for about a year before selling it.

Repairs: these were on a brand new car.
  • Engine mount broke.
  • Brake failure. This was caused by the broken engine mount. When the mount broke the engine came to rest on the brake line and split it. It was during the repair of the brake line that I discovered the broken engine mount.
  • Loss of oil pressure. Well, not really. It turned out that the oil pressure sensor was bad.
  • Bad universal joint between the transmission and drive shaft.
  • Rack and pinion steering went bad. Really bad shimmy if you got up to 60 mph. Below that it was unnoticeable.
  • Failure in the gear shift linkage which made it hard to find third gear in the four speed transmission.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:06 AM   #39
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
1966 Triumph Spitfire. Definitely not the best car I ever owned but it was my first car and I loved it. But I was constantly having to repair it, either DIY or take it to a mechanic. Since it was my first car I did not realize that this sort of constant maintenance was not the norm. I was spending almost as much on repairs as on monthly payments. I kept it for about a year before selling it.

Repairs: these were on a brand new car.
  • Engine mount broke.
  • Brake failure. This was caused by the broken engine mount. When the mount broke the engine came to rest on the brake line and split it. It was during the repair of the brake line that I discovered the broken engine mount.
  • Loss of oil pressure. Well, not really. It turned out that the oil pressure sensor was bad.
  • Bad universal joint between the transmission and drive shaft.
  • Rack and pinion steering went bad. Really bad shimmy if you got up to 60 mph. Below that it was unnoticeable.
  • Failure in the gear shift linkage which made it hard to find third gear in the four speed transmission.

I never heard of anyone who bought a new Triumph.

You must be really old.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:46 AM   #40
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post

I never heard of anyone who bought a new Triumph.

You must be really old.
I'm not dead yet.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:59 PM   #41
ultracapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRalph View Post
As a kid, 72 Cutlass Supreme

My Tundra Pickup trucks. Bullet proof
I had a '73 Cutlass. Awesome car. My favorite though was a '71 Cougar XR7. 351 Cleveland heads. Heavy car and took a couple extra heart beats to get up to speed, but once it did, look out.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply