Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #1
tzipi

Karakorum racing bankrupt?

My friend has been trying to get his money out of his account for three months and now their website seems to be down. I told him his raffle "win" for them would be a pain ha. He didnt have alot invested at all but thats a shame what they did to people if they really ran into the ground. What's funny I told him us I noticed recently that I've seen no Karakorum horses in a while. Any one else have news on them or if they are really gone?
tzipi is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
Stillriledup
Veteran

Has there ever been a 'good' Karakorum horse?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #3
atlasaxis

Karakorum Elektra

Last edited by atlasaxis; 08-26-2012 at 09:22 PM.
atlasaxis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Rise Over Run
Slope Handicapping ™

I've never been a partner, but I've been on their e-mail list for several years. It took reading this thread to realize, but it's been at least 6 weeks since I've seen an announcement about one of their runners being entered.

Our learning institutions only want diversity in appearances, not in thoughts.
Rise Over Run is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
tzipi

From what I'm seeing, it doesn't look good. Oh well, wont miss them or their "raffles"
Old 08-26-2012, 09:43 PM   #6
Dahoss9698
Veteran

I've seen a few (at least two) former Karakorum horses running the last few days with different owners and a new trainer.

Doesn't look good.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #7
westny

Circa 1997-1999...around when I really got into the betting side of racing Karakorum had a basic web site that that presented 4 different partnership levels....different grades of horses...in training...on the farm still. Focus was
tax write-off and depreciation. Bottom line was 10% ownership of 50% of one "mid -level" horse in training came to 35k a year; 3yr deal. (excluding travel expenses,extra vet fees ).

Thing was the horses were really cheap... exposed when I began looking up pedigrees in the very early days of pedigreequery and the pedigree post which was attached to pedigreequery in the "old days" and sales/auction info.

I have NEVER bet on a Karahorum horse but have followed that syndicate since the late 90's. Strike the Brass was one of their best. Karakorum Patriot was a decent horse too. I would always joke with my pals that the "karakorum horses never won until they had at least 20 races..and alot of 3/4's and earnings of "109k"

Karakorum racers raced alot though, in nybred races...40 races not uncommon for a Karakorum horse. Too bad Karakorum couldn't continue their "business" when the NYBred purses skyrocketed. Karakorum raced alot at AQU especially in the days of cheap purses. I think I recently saw Odintz listed as trainer for a non-Karakorum horses but didn't think about where was Karakorum...gone, probably.

Last edited by westny; 08-27-2012 at 10:11 PM.
westny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2012, 12:14 AM   #8
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlasaxis
Karakorum Elektra
Karakorum Starlet was also a very nice runner, banked nearly half a million..
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
affirmedny

They have 2 entered at Finger Lakes today.
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #10
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by affirmedny
They have 2 entered at Finger Lakes today.
1st race: Only at Finger Lakes can a horse be ahead by 30 lengths in the stretch, and still be whipped home
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 AM   #11
Linny

Considering purchase price, they did OK with several horses including Electra and Starlet and Patriot and Chernobyl's Hero, who was second last week at SAR. They had a few that, while not stars, were consistent check earners and they did focus on soundness. A friend of mine once worked for Odintz who had most of them. Their absence is probably going to cause Jeff to leave the game. Too bad too, he's a good guy who did OK on a tough circuit with modest stock.
The front man for the outfit was a bit of a loose cannon and didn't exactly give the impression of a guy you want to buy a used horse from.
Linny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2012, 09:10 PM   #12
atlasaxis

Thankfully Linda took over Elektra

Belmont Park: Karakorum Racing disbands

By Matt Hegarty

Karakorum Racing, the partnership company whose horses have been a staple of the claiming ranks in New York for 15 years, ceased operation in late August, one of the company’s trainers said on Thursday.

~~read the rest at the link~~

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park...acing-disbands

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 10-10-2012 at 01:10 AM.
atlasaxis is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #13
tzipi

Good, racing is better off without them and their "operation". Crook operation and a black eye to racing again.

Last edited by tzipi; 10-10-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:51 PM   #14
Race Promoter

This is a shame. I know people knew about them in New York, but they should have considered promoting their partnerships throughout the country and maybe set up a trainer or two out west.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
Race Promoter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #15
Shemp Howard
Refugee from Bowie

I hope this trend doesn't spread to Penn National.

THere are several nice people there with blinders on sending their money down the same types of rat holes.
Shemp Howard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: